PDA

View Full Version : My new AR Project

aslink
10-02-09, 14:34
We'll I've taken the plunge again. This time I'm building my AR. I previously purchased a used 20". It shot great but I had issues with it. The rear sight was maxed to the left so I was limited on my windage controls. And it was the upper with the carry handle. And once I started down the road of upgrading I was going to end up with what I'm about to build and at the time I was not prepared to do so. So I traded it in for a Sig556. Well I've recently sold that and am building my next one. This will be my first build and it will not be cheap. I figure if you do it right the first time you'll be happy for a lifetime. However it may take me a lifetime to purchase everything. lol

http://idisk.mac.com/kenaslin-Public/arstep02.jpg

Here's where I'm at currently.

Tactical Innovations forged lower with a MagPul trigger guard which I removed from my Sig before I sold it.
Spike's forged upper
Daniel Defense 1:7 Barrel with a Melonite finish both inside and out "I was told by DD that Spikes did the coating. So now I've got to call Spikes again. lol"
M16 carrier and bolt
PWS FSC556 muzzle brake
MagPul MOE handguard

The remaining furniture will MagPul MOE. I'm looking for light, durable and accurate. My Sig was probably only durable. Because it wasn't light and it wasn't super accurate. 3-4 inches at a 100 yards in not as accurate as I would have liked. And it was a pig to carry. lol

Ziptie
10-02-09, 14:39
You're off to a GREAT start, and you have the really big stuff out of the way, looks like.

aslink
10-02-09, 14:53
Thanks. My next big purchase is the Wilson single stage trigger. I have not heard much about them yet but I love they're 1911 stuff.

Failure2Stop
10-02-09, 16:08
Thanks. My next big purchase is the Wilson single stage trigger. I have not heard much about them yet but I love they're 1911 stuff.

Not a good reason to choose them for AR stuff.
Just because I love Twinkies does not mean that I believe that Hostess makes the best USB drives.
There are excellent options from companes that know what they are doing with ARs and durable, precision AR trigger groups.

aslink
10-02-09, 17:41
I can see your point and I understand where you're coming from. But in the sea of AR trigger's out there I was lost and seeing how I like Wilson I thought how wrong could it be. The price is a little steep for an unknown item, but I was willing to make the jump.

Here a good place to do this. What is a good trigger? I want a bullet proof battle trigger. Crisp 4 to 5 pounds no mushy takeup, good reset and minimal to no overtravel.

When I purchased my XD40 I got used to the trigger. When I purchased my SA Operator I fell in love with that trigger. I'm not saying it couldn't be better but this hopefully gives everyone a point of reference. I like bullet proof quality first, creature comforts second. As long as it always works that's want's most important I can get used to just about anything except parts that fail.

Ak44
10-02-09, 17:53
From what I've gathered on the search forums...

Stock trigger and have it sent to Bill Springfield
or
Geiselle SSA trigger

aslink
10-02-09, 17:57
Thanks. I'll look into that.

aslink
10-27-09, 10:55
Update.

I ended up going with a 4 lbs Bill Springfield trigger. I just purchased one from him it saved me shipping in the long run. So far i must say it seems like a sweet trigger. The only thing left is the buffer assembly, stock and a rear sight. Then it's off to the range.

A big thanks to Ak44 for the tip on Bill's trigger's.

I have to say building this has been way easier than I thought it would be.

Here's the latest pict.

http://idisk.mac.com/kenaslin-Public/arstep03.jpg

New
MagPul MIAD grip
Bill Springfield 4 lbs trigger
Rad Lock (because I live in CA I had to neuter my new toy)

Because I'm concerned with weight, and it's only 5.4 lbs so far, it's like owning a large pistol. Especially after owning a Sig556 which was too heavy.

Next
Buffer assembly
MagPul MOE stock
MagPul MBUS rear sight
MagPul ASAP
MagPul MS2

Hi my name is Ken and I'm a MagPulaholic and I'm okay with that.

556mp
10-27-09, 17:32
Not sure how you are with doing things yourself, I'd assume you'd be OK as you're assembling your own rifle :) but I polished the contact points on the trigger and the hammer with compound and a dremel. I swapped the wimpy springs that were in my Bushmaster to DPMS that were heavier... did not know that at the time. It is a 4.5lb pull and there is zero creep and a very crisp break for a stock setup.. just a thought that you could try before you spent 250 plus on a trigger. You'll have the parts in the LPK anyway. If this is something you would be willing to do I could take a few pics for ya. Anyway, just a thought. Nice build so far.

aslink
10-28-09, 00:14
Thanks for both the info and the comment. However the Bill Springfield trigger had all the work done already and for a $124.00 which included the lower parts kit as well. I pretty much saved a bunch and got a great trigger. However I do have to wait until I get at least the buffer assembly installed in order to really run the trigger a bit.

Biggy
10-28-09, 11:22
Let us know how that melonited barrel shoots when you get it completed.

aslink
10-28-09, 14:02
I'll post my initial findings which I think will be good. I'm more concerned with longevity. Spike's says it will last a good long time but I have my reservations. I know it's a good finish. My XD looks great after 2 years of daily carry, however now that I'm back in CA and no longer need to carry because it's so much safer here. ;) So my wear test is over and Melonite as a finish is really good. But as a barrel lining we'll see. I could not find much on the web regarding someone else running this type of barrel. So I'll keep posting here.

Ken

aslink
12-30-09, 01:32
My MagPul MS2 sling arrived in the mail today. Next week I should be getting my Buffer Tube assembly and MagPul MOE stock. Which means I'll be finishing my build enough to be able to take it to the range and run it. Can't wait. I picked up my MagPul ASAP plate last month or so.

This has been a fun project I must say.

A big thanks to everyone that offered help.

Ken

Bantee
12-30-09, 01:47
Looking like a great build, hope you report on your first range trip.

aslink
12-30-09, 11:58
Thanks and I will report back once I get to run it.

deputyonce
01-04-10, 18:55
Anyone else have an update on the stainless lpk...? More interested to hear how the polished-out...pics would be great too.

aslink
01-04-10, 19:19
Well I've gotten very close to being ready to run this at the range. Installed my ASAP, buffer assembly, MOE stock and MS2. So far the weight comes in at 6 pounds 15 ounces. I was hoping for lighter but it's still much better than my previous SIG556 by a long shot.

http://idisk.mac.com/kenaslin-Public/arstep04.jpg

On order is my rear MBUS.

aslink
06-11-10, 03:25
Got my MBUS a while back. Works great.

http://idisk.mac.com/kenaslin-Public/mbus_mod3.jpg

I also picked up a BCM Gunfighter Mod 3. Love this upgrade.

http://idisk.mac.com/kenaslin-Public/topofmod3_mbus.jpg

The Vltor Surefire G2 mount. It's clean and simple.

http://idisk.mac.com/kenaslin-Public/surefireg2_vltormount.jpg

My latest upgrades were the KNS Gen2 Mod 2 non rotating fire control pins. I can see the purpose in them but they look sexy. And of course the MagPul Bad Lever which in this case really assists in manipulating the bolt catch to hold the bolt open.

http://idisk.mac.com/kenaslin-Public/knsgen2mod2.jpg

I have to say with all the help on this site my AR project is turning out awesome. It's light and easy to manipulate.

As far as range time goes. I haven't been able to go yet. Really since moving back to CA my range time has pretty much dropped off. In Montana yearly fees were $50 unlike here at $250. There I could go the range drive into a bay and it was mine for the day. I could work on transitions, double and triple taps even practice firing from the car get out and go the trunk retrieve the AR and fire over the car at a target. After that kind of freedom going to a range were you can only shoot from the bench and one round every second just doesn't have the same appeal. I know that shouldn't prevent me from practicing but it does. Plus the whole part time job only thing really effects range time too.

When I do get to the range I will report back.

Scoby
06-11-10, 11:25
Looks good man.
You'll like the Springfield trigger. I've got two and they've been gtg.

Scoby

aslink
06-11-10, 11:45
Thanks Scoby.

Quick question: How long have you had your Springfield triggers?

Reason I ask is I recently heard from a user or two on this board that their trigger was failing. Not that I'm to concerned web info being what it is. I wanted to pay attention and prep for upgrading later down the road if I need to.

Scoby
06-11-10, 12:26
I don't keep completely accurate round counts but have a general idea.

My S&W has around 1,500 and the second in my Noveske lower has around 500 or so. I've had no problems.

There's lots of people that have them. Search Bill Springfield and you can get lots of info. I've only seen where a handful of folks had any problems.

Scoby

aslink
06-11-10, 12:34
Thanks.

I did my research before my purchase and found that a lot of people had then and loved them. Then awhile back I read my first couple complaints of users having stacking issues if I remember right. I chalked it up to no product has 100% satisfaction. But at the price the of a Wilson Trigger I'd better start hedging my bet. :)

If and when I get to start running my blaster I'll keep a log here for others to follow.

Ken