PDA

View Full Version : Best round for my new wheelgun

WaltherP88
10-03-09, 01:10
I just purchased a S&W 460ES 2.75" for concealed carry and need some help on what the best caliber for my needs would be. My options are obviously .45 Colt. .454 Casull and .460 S&W.

There are a couple mitigating factors affecting my caliber choices.

1) Double taps or controlled pairs. These might be possible with the .45, probable with the .454 and not very likely with the .460.

2) I live near Sea World. I am very concerned about the Killer Whales getting loose. According to the experts in the know on the internet, they are still very dangerous and quite agile on land. I am reasonably sure they don't have access to level IV armor but they may get their flippers on some IIIa or III. I will need a round that will penetrate the vest and the blubber and reach the vital organs.

Also on that note I perused the target website mentioned on a previous thread and was unable to locate any Orca targets. There were some very useful zombie ones, but no Orcas. If anyone knows where to get them please let me know. I would prefer the vital areas be marked, but I can fill them in later. I do understand that they will be quite large, but if I pick the right day and time my local range will allow me to use more than one lane.

3) Overpenetration. I am reasonably confident this will not be an issue if I need to take down an Orca, but I feel it is an issue with a human shot. Do they make Glaser Safety Slugs in .460 or .454? Or should I have a speedloader ready with .45s?

Any thoughts, opinions, or help would be greatly appreciated.

Now that I have had my fun and am done giggling like my 2 year old son watching SpongeBob, I do have a serious question. Assuming of course that I didn't just get kicked off this forum for my obviously very troubled and demented sense of humor.

I currently carry a P232 .380 loaded with Hornady Critical Defense for my pocket pistol. After reading the excellent BUG sticky by DocGKR, I bought an all stainless Taurus 85 .38 to try out.

In this sticky post Dr. Roberts, you repeatedly refer to the standard pressure CorBon 110gr DPX load. I am unable to locate such a creature. I can only find the +P load. I have tried both the CorBon and Barnes websites. Am I missing something or has the standard pressure been discontinued in favor of the +P?

Have you tested the +P load? If so, are there any limitations compared to the standard variant?

Thanks in advance.

tpd223
10-03-09, 03:59
Not Doc, but Cor Bon quit making the non +P loaded DPX. The +P DPX is a superb snubby load.

DocGKR
10-03-09, 10:45
To be honest, we can't tell a difference between the standard and +P labeled Corbon loads...