PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a AR for under 1000.00

Evolver
10-03-09, 11:28
Hey all, I have been researching AR for under 1000.00. I have never owned a AR before and I want to make the right choice so I am asking you all for your opinions

16" 223
Chrome Lined chamber, Carrier and bore.
Flat top.
6 pos stock
Flip up rear site or detachable carry handle.

Here are the makers that I am attracted to. Please help me narrow it down.

Spike Tactical.
High Standard.
Stag Arms.
Bushmaster
DPMS.

Did I miss any that I should be looking at?

mark5pt56
10-03-09, 11:34
I would strongly encourage you to buy this. And discourage your choices. The standard carbine is the same price if you don't like the middy. In all of my experience, you will not go wrong with the BCM choice and it is a much higher quality than what you've listed.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=16M_RIFLE&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3D%26searchstart%3D9%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html%26category%3DBCOM

Heavy Metal
10-03-09, 11:36
Go a bit more and you can get a Daniel Defense XV that has a Cold Hammer Forged barrel. It will easily best those you list.

Evolver
10-03-09, 11:45
I would strongly encourage you to buy this. And discourage your choices. The standard carbine is the same price if you don't like the middy. In all of my experience, you will not go wrong with the BCM choice and it is a much higher quality than what you've listed.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=16M_RIFLE&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3D%26searchstart%3D9%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html%26category%3DBCOM

Nice gun but after I put a stock, grip and handguard on it Im at 1500.00.

Mark71
10-03-09, 11:55

The gun is complete and comes as shown in the picture. You can upgrade the grip, stock, and rail if you want for extra but it is not necessary. The BCM Mid-Length complete rifle from Grant would be the best bang for your buck IMO.

COJAM
10-03-09, 11:58
Look here for a possible deal by fellow M4C members.
http://m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=108

rjacobs
10-03-09, 12:09
DDXV should fit your 1000 budget just fine and you can get a $250 gift card right now to use on DD accessories.

All 5 of the manufactures that you listed are not very highly thought of around here and with good reason.

Hunter Rose
10-03-09, 12:10
I second the Daniel Defense XV M4. I've seen them for approximately $1060 shipped off Sturm, and you get a $250 gift card from Daniel Defense, so basically a free rail. If you don't want/need a rail, use it to buy a rail and then sell it and like that, you have a Daniel Defense XV for probably like $900.

Seems like a no brainer to me.

Brian Brazier
10-03-09, 12:12
S&W M&P 15
Charles Daly Defense M4 - the LE version may be a little over $1,000, I paid $1,050 for mine

Surf
10-03-09, 12:13
Bang for the buck, gotta go with the Daniel Defense XV in the $1100-$1150 range hands down. Plus you get the $250 Black Fund Card, so basically you can get a quad rail nearly free.

PRGGodfather
10-03-09, 12:23
I did a spread sheet on parts to include shipping and buying the DD XV. The XV actually came out $100 less, and has a lot of bells and whistles already on it.

You just cannot beat them, especially with the $250 DD coupon right now. DDXV rifles are absolutely perfect and exceed the specifications on the Technical Data Program (TDP). It is the best and cheapest advice you will get on this forum.

BLACK LION
10-03-09, 13:01
For a KISS rig on a 1000.00 budget:
I went with the DSA ZM4 nitrided upper for 275.00 minus the bolt carrier group and charging handle... 288.00 total shipped.
I am going with an upgraded bolt and enhanced carrier(not sure which carrier possibly an FZ EXO) so that brings the total to around 450.00+.... adding a rear MBUS and the upper is done besides the optic(money left over for one..)...

For the lower, I am building it myself with a standard RRA lower parts kit... MOE stock, MOE grip and an H buffer with a superior shooting systems cs flatwire spring...
All on a 90.00 DSA ZM4 lower...
Total cost is around 300.00 but would be appx 130.00 less if you go with a standard A2 grip, a standard CAR stock, standard buffer spring and left the M4 handguards....

So lets say anywhere from 650.00 to 850.00 for a KISS rig...

Now you have money left for mags, ammo, sling, cleaning kit, optic etc...

mkmckinley
10-03-09, 13:03
Good advice here. I'm new to this forum, but there seems to be a theme where a poster will set their maximum price juuuust below what a high-quality version of what they're looking for would cost. With Colts and what not going for slightly more than $1000 why not just get the real deal?

BLACK LION
10-03-09, 13:07
Lots of sound advice here....

Outlander Systems
10-03-09, 13:12

The add-ons should not come at the sacrifice of obtaining a quality rifle to put them on.

"You can't polish a turd"

All the cool-guy shit is secondary to function. A grip, stock, or handguard will not improve the functioning of an unreliable weapon.

Start with a quality weapon first, and add the kit on as you can afford it.

Evolver
10-03-09, 13:19
Keep them comming Guys LOL;) I like what I see so far in the DD XV.

Outlander Systems
10-03-09, 13:22
If DD is offering a $250 coupon on the XV I'd leap on that like Bernie Madoff on a portfolio.

cevtv
10-03-09, 13:24
All 5 of the manufactures that you listed are not very highly thought of around here and with good reason.

What's wrong with Spike's? I have been leaning towards one myself, and just want to know............

rjacobs
10-03-09, 13:28
What's wrong with Spike's? I have been leaning towards one myself, and just want to know............

I think they have one gun right now that people on here would say "yea it is pretty high up on the chart", however that gun is unproven as of right now where as guns such as the 6920, DDM4, LMT, BCM, etc... have been proven with lots of trigger time. I think one member on here got one of the upper's and had a fairly good review on it, but again, its an relatively new un-proven entity.

Outlander Systems
10-03-09, 13:29
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=33514&highlight=spike%27s

Grant & Rob pretty much summed it up:

When you're sourcing out parts to a manufacturer, you can give different criteria for the process & materials.

So, for instance Company A may spec out a BCG made out of cobalt-chromium-molybdenum and bead-blasted by crushed unicorn horn, to ACME materials and and Company B may spec out a BCG made out of an alloy of recycled spring steel and tin cans, and since batch tested, failed to notice a hairline crack in the bolt carrier group, which you will eventually notice without voluminous rates of fire.

Quality counts.

Iraqgunz
10-03-09, 14:25
Seriously we have been down this road so many times. Allow me to point out a few little things again.

1. Daniel Defense XV will get you in the neighborhood without sacrificing.

2. Why does it have to be under 1000.00? If you can't afford 1-200.00 more then you will also have trouble feeding it with mags and ammo. Prices are coming down, not going up. Rushing to buy it makes no sense unless you need it. If you truly need it cutting corners is the last thing you want to do.

3. None of the rifles/carbines you have listed are really worth that price IMHO. You could probably slap a BCM together for about the same price and it surely is better than what you have listed.

Hey all, I have been researching AR for under 1000.00. I have never owned a AR before and I want to make the right choice so I am asking you all for your opinions

16" 223
Chrome Lined chamber, Carrier and bore.
Flat top.
6 pos stock
Flip up rear site or detachable carry handle.

Here are the makers that I am attracted to. Please help me narrow it down.

Spike Tactical.
High Standard.
Stag Arms.
Bushmaster- NO WAY
DPMS. HELL NO

Did I miss any that I should be looking at?

peabody
10-03-09, 14:42
CMMG, bargan-bin...

599.00 ... the whole thing

peabody

cpekz
10-03-09, 14:51
Spend a little more and go for the XV, BCM, or a Colt 6920. All of these rifles are outstanding examples and are of far better quality than most of the rifles that are only a few hundred less. It's a no-brainer IMO. You can always add the cool guy stuff later when your budget allows. Ammo, mags, and an optic should come before that stuff anyways if you don't already have it.

I'm in the process of putting together a BCM myself. Their parts quality and attention to detail are superb, and they are also easy to come by these days. They used to be damn near unobtainable. You couldn't possibly go wrong with either of the three I mentioned, however.

Just remember that a few hundred bucks can you apart from a plinking-recommended-only rifle and a duty weapon worth trusting your life with.

Evolver
10-03-09, 16:41
DDXV it is!!!! Thank all of you for your input and ideas. I found one new in the box right at 1000.00:D Less shipping and TF. I'm still going to look for a week befor I order but I think this it the one.:cool:

C4IGrant
10-03-09, 18:20

They pale in comparison to the BCM & DD AR's.

C4

Evolver
10-03-09, 18:52

C4

Hey C4IGrant. Will you do a price compaire on a DDXV? Pm me if you do.

C4IGrant
10-03-09, 18:59
Hey C4IGrant. Will you do a price compaire on a DDXV? Pm me if you do.

Price compare or price match?

C4

Evolver
10-03-09, 19:01
Price match. sorry

Evolver
10-03-09, 19:05
Do you have one in stock?

C4IGrant
10-03-09, 19:05
Price match. sorry

We do price match, but also do not work for free (so there is limit to how low we will go).

C4

Evolver
10-03-09, 19:12
We do price match, but also do not work for free (so there is limit to how low we will go).

C4

I will send a Email.

Outlander Systems
10-03-09, 19:22
Excellent choice, Evolver.

If I had found this site, prior to delving into the AR world my wallet would have saved a beating, and I'd be minus a few headaches.

Evolver
10-03-09, 19:25
Excellent choice, Evolver.

If I had found this site, prior to delving into the AR world my wallet would have saved a beating, and I'd be minus a few headaches.

LOL Thank you for you input TLL.:)

Evolver
10-03-09, 19:26

C4

Email inbound.

SiGfever
10-03-09, 20:40

It is tough to beat this deal for such a high quality firearm. JMHO

cevtv
10-04-09, 18:21

C4

Thanks for the response..... But I need facts, not a blanket statement. WHY do you feel they pale??

C4IGrant
10-04-09, 18:44
Thanks for the response..... But I need facts, not a blanket statement. WHY do you feel they pale??

The facts are already out there.

Do your own research & compare the specs!

C4

Ak44
10-04-09, 19:00
but also do not work for free (so there is limit to how low we will go).

C4

If only slaying groundhogs paid the bills :D

superman07
10-04-09, 19:26
Its real simple, compare the methods and metals used in construction and the fact good brands actually test and prepare the guns for hard use before they ship.

I bought some cheaper guns when I started and regret it. Most of them have now been sold, or essentially replaced in place over time with better BCG, barrels, etc.

do yourself a favor and buy a good brand from the start.

LMT
COLT
DD
BCM

superman07
10-04-09, 19:37
Just to add one thing, I know people that wont buy an off brand TV, or generic food brands. They wouldn't even think about a yugo for transportation, nor would they buy a house from a bad builder.

Same people think all AR rifles are somehow the same, and there is no difference. It seems people just assume if it looks like a AR it must be the same as the rest.

cevtv
10-04-09, 20:24
The facts are already out there.

Do your own research & compare the specs!

C4

That's what I'm doing....maybe I'm missing something, but they seem very similar to me.... I not trying to start anything, or stick up for anyone....just trying to learn.....

DDXV:

* Lower Receiver: Mil-Spec with Enhanced Flared Magazine Well
* Upper Receiver: Mil-Spec with Indexing Marks and M4 Feed Ramps
* Barrel: 16″ Ordanace Grade 4150 MP Tested, Cold Hammer Forged, 1:7 Twist, Chrome Lined, M4 Profile
* Chamber: 5.56 NATO
* Flash Hider: A2 Birdcage Flash Hider
* Bolt Carrier Group: Mil-Spec MP Tested, Properly Staked Gas Key
* Buffer: H Buffer
* Sights: Daniel Defense A1.5 Fixed Rear Sight; Pinned “F” Marked Front Sight Base
* Handguards: Mil-Spec Carbine Length Plastic Handguards
* Buttstock: Mil-Spec Buttstock & Mil-Spec 5 Position Receiver Extension
* Magazine: MAGPUL 30 round PMag in Black
* Weight: 6 lbs!
* Made in the USA!

Spike's ST-15:

Upper Specs-

-Spike's Tactical M4 flat top upper receiver, Machined from a 7075 T6 Mil-Spec Forging with Mil-Spec Type III Hardcoat Anodized finish, T-markings, our logo and M4 feed ramps.

-Barrel is Cold Hammer Forged 4150 Chromoly Vanadium Alloy, M4 barrel extention, Chrome chamber and bore, 5.56mm Nato chamber, 1:7 Twist, Magnetic particle testing on every barrel, Phosphate finish.

-M4 profile with Carbine-length gas system.

-Barrel is Phosphate finished under the F marked A2 front site base.

-The M16 carriers are Chrome lined with a Mil-Spec phosphate finish.

-Forged Mil-Spec carrier key, Chrome lined, attached with Grade 8 hardware and Properly staked.

-MP tested bolt, Each extractor is fitted with a Mil-Spec black insert and Mil-Spec Viton o-ring.

-Forged Mil-Spec charging handle.

-M4 hand guards.

-A2 Flash Hider.

Lower Specs-

-Spike's Tactical Lower, Machined from a 7075 T6 Mil-Spec Forging with Mil-Spec Type III Hardcoat Anodized finish.

-Mil-Spec lower parts kit. (Works with 22LR, 9MM, 223/5.56, and Many More.)

-6 Position Mil-Spec buffer tube, castle nut and Properly staked latch plate.

-ST-T2 Tungsten Heavy buffer.

-Mil-Spec 17-4 stainless steel buffer spring.

-Spike's Tactical M4 stock.

Accessories-

-Detachable Mil-Spec Forged A2 Carry handle

-Magpul 30rd Pmag

Slasher
10-05-09, 12:14
That's what I'm doing....maybe I'm missing something, but they seem very similar to me.... I not trying to start anything, or stick up for anyone....just trying to learn.....

DDXV:

* Barrel: 16″ Ordanace Grade 4150 MP Tested, Cold Hammer Forged, 1:7 Twist, Chrome Lined, M4 Profile
* Sights: Daniel Defense A1.5 Fixed Rear Sight; Pinned “F” Marked Front Sight Base
* Made in the USA!

Spike's ST-15:

Upper Specs-

-Spike's Tactical M4 flat top upper receiver, Machined from a 7075 T6 Mil-Spec Forging with Mil-Spec Type III Hardcoat Anodized finish, T-markings, our logo and M4 feed ramps.

-Barrel is Cold Hammer Forged 4150 Chromoly Vanadium Alloy, M4 barrel extention, Chrome chamber and bore, 5.56mm Nato chamber, 1:7 Twist, Magnetic particle testing on every barrel, Phosphate finish.

-Forged Mil-Spec carrier key, Chrome lined, attached with Grade 8 hardware and Properly staked.

-MP tested bolt, Each extractor is fitted with a Mil-Spec black insert and Mil-Spec Viton o-ring.

-M4 hand guards.

-A2 Flash Hider.

Lower Specs-

-Spike's Tactical Lower, Machined from a 7075 T6 Mil-Spec Forging with Mil-Spec Type III Hardcoat Anodized finish.

Accessories-

-Magpul 30rd Pmag

I am interested in this also. I have been looking at the Spike's compared to the BCM complete lowers to start putting an AR together for myself but I do not know what needs to be compared or where to research. Looking at the two specs above seem to show about the same thing so what am I missing with the Spike's.

Thanks for any help.

C4IGrant
10-05-09, 12:40

DDXV:

* Made in the USA!

Spike's ST-15:

Upper Specs-

-M4 hand guards.

-A2 Flash Hider.

Lower Specs-

Accessories-

-Magpul 30rd Pmag

Spikes used to offer more than one rifles and they did not match up at all. Their new rifles are using DD barrels so they are going to match up pretty well.

The DD XV is going to give you a better rear sight and a Magpul TG, but that is about the only difference.

The big difference between the BCM and the Spikes is that the BCM and barrel and bolt are MP/HPT.

As far as the quality on the Spikes stuff, I cannot answer. If you look around the net, you will see mixed reviews. I have only dealt with their older style .22 uppers (which werer a PITA).

C4

cevtv
10-05-09, 13:17
Thank you!

Slasher
10-05-09, 13:43
Spikes used to offer more than one rifles and they did not match up at all. Their new rifles are using DD barrels so they are going to match up pretty well.

The DD XV is going to give you a better rear sight and a Magpul TG, but that is about the only difference.

The big difference between the BCM and the Spikes is that the BCM and barrel and bolt are MP/HPT.

As far as the quality on the Spikes stuff, I cannot answer. If you look around the net, you will see mixed reviews. I have only dealt with their older style .22 uppers (which werer a PITA).

C4
It seems that most of the difference is in the uppers. Are they just about the same in the lowers? From what I have been reading the uppers are the most important part so that is where I would spend most of the money. Not that I would buy a real cheap lower but if I could save a little here and there to get some accessories or ammo, I would. Would you say the LPK's for Spike's and BCM are about the same?

Thanks

Ed L.
10-05-09, 13:47
One of the biggest problems that I see people having in the gun world is having to have something right now and as a result making a poor decision rather than waiting 6 months or even a year to enact a better one.

Example: people buying a low dollar AR that fails in major categories of the chart because that is all they have the money for rather than waiting a month, six months, or a year to buy a better one *providing they already have some half decent home defense type gun.*

For about $150 above your price ceiling you can get a complete BCM AR at G&R.

In a year from now the $150 or so difference will mean little, but you will be stuck with an AR that is of lower quality.

If you must buy for less than $1000, take a look at G&R tactical's prices on some S&W ARs:

S&W M&P 15A for $850:
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=311002&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3D%26searchstart%3D9%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html%26category%3DSMWE

S&W M&P 15MOE for $899:
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=81102X&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3D%26searchstart%3D9%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html%26category%3DSMWE

S&W M&P 15X for $912:
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=311008&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3D%26searchstart%3D9%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html%26category%3DSMWE

They may not have a 1 in 7" barrel and perhaps some other features, but overall they are fairly high quality and good buys. I would take them before I would consider

superman07
10-05-09, 14:40
Spikes older rifles lacked many features, keep in mind they have not been offering the newer uppers for that long. Much of the rep they have is for older rifles, but I am not all that pleased with companies that get quality parts only after public backlash.

C4IGrant
10-05-09, 14:54
It seems that most of the difference is in the uppers. Are they just about the same in the lowers? From what I have been reading the uppers are the most important part so that is where I would spend most of the money. Not that I would buy a real cheap lower but if I could save a little here and there to get some accessories or ammo, I would. Would you say the LPK's for Spike's and BCM are about the same?

Thanks

No idea if they are the same as I do not know where DD and or Spikes get their LPK's.

The only companies that I will vouch for the quality of their LPK's are Colt, LMT and BCM.

C4

C4IGrant
10-05-09, 14:56
Spikes older rifles lacked many features, keep in mind they have not been offering the newer uppers for that long. Much of the rep they have is for older rifles, but I am not all that pleased with companies that get quality parts only after public backlash.

Understand. I have not personally seen one of the newer Spikes AR's and don't know many people that buy them.

So we might have to wait awhile before we start to hear of any issues (if ever).

C4

CGoodwin
10-05-09, 16:27
My S&W is a fine weapon. No problems with accuracy, FTF/FTE, or reliability. 600 rounds in with nary a problem, other than the fact that I loaded it down with tacticool accessories and mildly strained my upper back carrying the darn thing for 7 hours on a night hunt!

KISS is my new watchword!

Back on topic, a sub-$1000 AR is not a horrible place for a new owner to start. The S&W is a mil=spec 5.56 rifle with a good barrel. Certainly may not seem AS good to those using it more for varminting and paper punching, but it has served me well.

Building a second AR in SBR format using BCM upper and Aero Precision lower, but the S&W is staying for now!

superman07
10-05-09, 16:38
I Have a SW and it has shot very well. I shoot only 55 grain through it and have not had any issues. I did replace the BCG with a LMT full auto from Grant though. It is much better than a RRA rifle I loan friends at the range.

My brother in law has a SW and it has performed amazingly well. He treats it like crap and it just keeps shooting. I offered to clean it once because I felt bad for the rifle.

That said If I had to do it again I would go with the 1/7 CHF barrel offerings. It is not a cheap sport any longer, don't cut corners. Prices are coming down though, you could shoot the hell out of the 1/9 and pick up a nice 1/7 down the road.

I don't remember if SW uses 4140 or 4150, but I'm pretty sure they are chrome lined.

cevtv
10-05-09, 19:31
I don't remember if SW uses 4140 or 4150, but I'm pretty sure they are chrome lined.

DragonDoc
10-05-09, 22:50
Evolver you can get a Colt 6920 for 1289 from Impact Guns.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/COLT-LE6920BF.html

DragonDoc
10-05-09, 23:02
Here is some info on Spike's Uppers that Stickman posted on another site.

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1299&highlight=spike%27s+tactical
http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1297

crusader377
10-05-09, 23:42
You might also want to try the CD M4LE. I saw one recently on gunbroker with a buy now price of $950 and a starting bid in the upper $800 range.

12XLR8
10-06-09, 00:25
IMHO just buy a Colt M4 then you need not worry about ( Did I get a good deal )
You get what you pay for;)

cevtv
10-06-09, 00:48
IMHO just buy a Colt M4 then you need not worry about ( Did I get a good deal )
You get what you pay for;)

Some states still have an AWB, and expressly state that Colt is banned. :rolleyes:

12XLR8
10-06-09, 03:09
Aw Man that totally sucks! And I thought we had a strick state ( Hawaii)
Well how about armalite?:)

Surf
10-06-09, 10:37
Aw Man that totally sucks! And I thought we had a strick state ( Hawaii)
Well how about armalite?:)Private citizens in Hawaii cannot own a Colt M4 or M4A1. Now if you are talking a Colt 6920, then you are GTG.

rjacobs
10-06-09, 11:22
The S&W is a mil=spec 5.56 rifle with a good barrel.

The S&W is not a mil-spec AR, at least not fully.
-Not the right barrel twist or material
-SA BCG vs. FA
-Carbine buffer vs. H buffer
-gas port is to large

I am sure there are other things I am missing.

This however does not make it a bad rifle, I have 2 of them along with my DDM4, and they shoot really well and I have had zero issues with them. They are not though mil-spec.

Missionmtman
10-06-09, 11:58
Have you seen the new DD AR's? They have a cheaper model out now too that doesn't have the rail system. They are a little more expensive but they are spot on and a good platform to start with. You can always upgrade it later too.

rjacobs
10-06-09, 12:28
Have you seen the new DD AR's? They have a cheaper model out now too that doesn't have the rail system. They are a little more expensive but they are spot on and a good platform to start with. You can always upgrade it later too.

Have you read the entire thread?

I believe the OP already decided to get a DDXV.

12XLR8
10-07-09, 01:24
Yeah that's what I meant 6920 civilian M4:o
Now stores here don't want to sell them saying colt wants a letter head from the chief of police saying it's for your duty carry.:mad: