PDA

View Full Version : UPS lost my rifle

trojanman
10-03-09, 16:33
I ordered a DDM4 and freakin UPS lost it. Hopefully its not too big of a ordeal to make things right. P@$% me off

NoBody
10-03-09, 16:47
Was it insured for the full value?

28_days
10-03-09, 16:48
You'll be fine, don't worry!

My last rifle was shipped to the ATF by accident--I was quite concerned, but it turned out just fine. :)

EDIT: in this kind of transaction it isn't legally yours till you take possession.

Honu
10-03-09, 17:17
did this guy get back out and his job back :)

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=37498

I hope everything turns out for you !!! I would be steamed also

trojanman
10-03-09, 17:34
The rifle may not be legally mine but my cash isnt either at this point. I hope you are right though

NoBody
10-03-09, 19:09
I doubt the gun shop will cover anything above the standard $100 UPS basic insurance if you did not pay to insure the rifle. How do you know it's "lost"?

SHIVAN
10-03-09, 19:23
I doubt the gun shop will cover anything above the standard $100 UPS basic insurance if you did not pay to insure the rifle. How do you know it's "lost"?

That's a non-starter. The insurance is intended to protect BOTH buyer and seller.

The gun shop has an obligation to get the rifle to the buyer. If it doesn't, then the contract was not fulfilled and they have a couple options:

1) Refund the money.
2) Send another rifle.

So it would make sense that they would insure it to cover their losses, if the carrier loses the gun in shipping.

FromMyColdDeadHand
10-03-09, 19:31
People have said that a call to the local ATF office can work miracles when guns get 'lost' when flying. Does it work for shipping?

NoBody
10-03-09, 19:36
That's a non-starter. The insurance is intended to protect BOTH buyer and seller.

The gun shop has an obligation to get the rifle to the buyer. If it doesn't, then the contract was not fulfilled and they have a couple options:

1) Refund the money.
2) Send another rifle.

So it would make sense that they would insure it to cover their losses, if the carrier loses the gun in shipping.

I've never seen a gun shop send a rifle insured except upon my request (and I pay for the coverage). It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. BTW, PayPal does agree with you, but a gun shop is not PayPal.

C4IGrant
10-03-09, 19:39
First, the shipper has to contact UPS and initiate the trace on the weapon.

Second, if UPS cannot find the weapon, the FFL dealer has to notify ATF.

Third, if the gun was insured, UPS will issue a refund to the shipper (if they cannot find it).

Once UPS has said that they cannot find the gun and are going to issue a refund, the shipper SHOULD refund our money order send you another weaon.

C4

NoBody
10-03-09, 19:45
First, the shipper has to contact UPS and initiate the trace on the weapon.

Second, if UPS cannot find the weapon, the FFL dealer has to notify ATF.

Third, if the gun was insured, UPS will issue a refund to the shipper (if they cannot find it).

Once UPS has said that they cannot find the gun and are going to issue a refund, the shipper SHOULD refund our money order send you another weaon.

C4

Do you send your weapons insured, Grant? What would you do if they weapon was lost and not insured?

C4IGrant
10-03-09, 19:51
Insured w/ sig confirmation.

I would do just what I stated (contact UPS, start a trace, contact ATF and refund money once UPS advised that they were issuing a refund.

C4

Do you send your weapons insured, Grant? What would you do if they weapon was lost and not insured?

NoBody
10-03-09, 19:59
Insured w/ sig confirmation.

I would do just what I stated (contact UPS, start a trace, contact ATF and refund money once UPS advised that they were issuing a refund.

C4

You're a good man, Grant. I've bought straight from a couple of manufacturers with your ethic, but none of the Internet sales I've done have gone that way. It has always been insured at my request and expense. Worth it though forthe peace of mind.

SHIVAN
10-03-09, 20:18
I've never seen a gun shop send a rifle insured except upon my request (and I pay for the coverage). It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. BTW, PayPal does agree with you, but a gun shop is not PayPal.

That's their stupidity then. Small claims court or charge card chargebacks would cost them more than the $25-$100 to insure it.

I'd simply use my VISA charge dispute, and stick them high and dry with no rifle AND no cash. Let them, the gun shop trying to get over on their customers, deal with UPS and the basic $100 coverage.

28_days
10-03-09, 20:30
That's their stupidity then. Small claims court or charge card chargebacks would cost them more than the $25-$100 to insure it.

I'd simply use my VISA charge dispute, and stick them high and dry with no rifle AND no cash. Let them, the gun shop trying to get over on their customers, deal with UPS and the basic $100 coverage.

IIRC, UPS charges $2 for each $100 insured.

el guapo
10-03-09, 23:36
UPS lost two of my packages on Tuesday. They logged them as dropped off on my front porch. I called AIM about my ammo and Larue about my T-1 wednesday morning. UPS delivered them to my house Wednesday at 2:00 pm. Larue and AIM both said I would get what I ordered no matter what.

trojanman
10-04-09, 02:31
I called and left message since its the weekend with the shop I bought it from. Hopefully I wont have to call again on monday. UPS said exactly what Grant said. We will see.

MPi-KMS-72
10-04-09, 08:57
I've never seen a gun shop send a rifle insured except upon my request (and I pay for the coverage).

That is just stupid on the shop's part. For what little insurance costs it is foolish to ship anything as expensive as a rifle without it. I always include it in the shipping cost for anything I sell that exceeds $100. I'm just an individual and I don't sell a lot online but insurance is just so easy to get...:rolleyes:

AlphaTango23
10-04-09, 10:44
I hope the situation rights itself quickly. Sorry for you AR.

Derek_Connor
10-04-09, 11:53
Im guessing it was shipped UPS Ground?

Situations like these and many others that have been documented once again highlight that UPS Ground, Fedex Ground, DHL, and USPS Priority are all apart of the JV squad.

Anything that goes boom, or helps something else go boom, or over a certain dollar amount for me, I go ahead and pay for overnight.

I know that isn't feasible for everyone across the board, but with firearms, i'll throw down the extra $30-50 whatever, to get it to the FFL the next day.

UPS/Fedex Overnight are a total different companies in operations for obvious reasons..

I've had some pretty rare shit go missing with Fedex 3day? (shipping label fell off) - and they shipped it overnight to KAC and it ended up on someone's desk that posts here...crazy shit.

Fedex will always get my money, Fedex overnight.

Hopefully it pops for ya bud..

cschwanz
10-04-09, 12:52
shipping overnight wont always prevent a stolen package problem. its still needs to be put on a truck and delivered to your house the next day. things could still come up "lost" or "misplaced".

As for the OP, wow, that sucks. Im close to ordering my first AR as well, damn i hope this isnt a trend. Keep us posted

Derek_Connor
10-04-09, 19:37
shipping overnight wont always prevent a stolen package problem. its still needs to be put on a truck and delivered to your house the next day. things could still come up "lost" or "misplaced".

As for the OP, wow, that sucks. Im close to ordering my first AR as well, damn i hope this isnt a trend. Keep us posted

Less time in the system, less time it has to be stolen.

Less time in the system, fewer hands on the package.

And if you ever get a chance to take a look at where Overnight Facilities are vs Home/Ground Facilities...there is a stark difference.

chadbag
10-04-09, 22:19
IIRC, UPS charges $2 for each $100 insured.

Not on account. Maybe as a walk-in to the UPS store they do.

It is significantly less than $1 per $100 over the basic $100. I ship Fedex Ground and not UPS but the rates are about the same and I pay significantly less than $1 per $100. Don't remember offhand what it is though.

Chad

chadbag
10-04-09, 22:22
Less time in the system, less time it has to be stolen.

Less time in the system, fewer hands on the package.

And if you ever get a chance to take a look at where Overnight Facilities are vs Home/Ground Facilities...there is a stark difference.

Fedex Express and Fedex Ground are pretty much completely different. Not so with UPS. Their service centers handle all UPS packages directly, unlike Fedex.

28_days
10-05-09, 00:18
Not on account. Maybe as a walk-in to the UPS store they do.

It is significantly less than $1 per $100 over the basic $100. I ship Fedex Ground and not UPS but the rates are about the same and I pay significantly less than $1 per $100. Don't remember offhand what it is though.

Chad

Correct. I was quoting the insurance price for non-account holders.

Under $1 per $100?! There's no reason NOT to get insurance then.

556frags
10-05-09, 01:49
I just don’t trust UPS. I seem to always have problems getting packages that have some sort of ammo label.

a1fabweld
10-05-09, 02:19
It's probably in the possesion of a $8 hour line sorter who just got his bonus! J/K. I wish you the best luck on getting it back/reimbursed.

PMcMullen
10-05-09, 08:20

Depends whether the terms were FOB shipping point or destination.

SHIVAN
10-05-09, 08:41
Depends whether the terms were FOB shipping point or destination.

If they'd like to play that game, as a vendor, expect to get hit with the VISA chargeback immediately.

No internet vendor would FOB Origin, unless they want to slowly lose their internet business. The common presumption, in lacking specific terms that are OFFERED not passively searchable, is that unless explicitly outlined as FOB Origin, the INTERNET SELLER is going to deliver goods to the buyer. Otherwise, why would anyone undertake the risk of buying on the internet?

I bypass INTERNET SELLERS, both personal and corporate, who wish to play that game. The minute they want to start negotiating new shipping terms after the deal is agreed on, I consider it a counter-offer and move on to something else.

Littlelebowski
10-05-09, 08:52
Always had better luck with FedEx. Not to mention that once I found out the union at my wife's work that she has to deal with won't accept FedEx because they're not a union shop made the choice a no brainer :D

chadbag
10-05-09, 11:47
Correct. I was quoting the insurance price for non-account holders.

Under $1 per $100?! There's no reason NOT to get insurance then.

My Fedex insurance (on account) is 65cents per $100. It is not quite that simple as once you specify more than $100, they force you to buy $300 worth and then start applying per $100.

I would guess that UPS is very very similar. In the past, when I have compared UPS and Fedex rates and fees, they were almost identical.

CobraBG
10-05-09, 11:53
It was probably stolen by an hourly person sorting packages at a UPS facility. I used to know someone who worked 3rd shift at a UPS hub and according to him it happened all the time. If the package looked interesting enough it "fell of the line" and was hidden to be carried out later. It sucks that people do this. :mad:

If it was insured you should be ok after all of the hassle.

RPD03
10-05-09, 13:24
Hope everything works itself out. They lost one of mine once and all it took was a call from the shipper to correct it. Just received a KAC rifle and they shipped via UPS with no problems.

trojanman
10-05-09, 18:56
The tracer (spelling) was started today. We will see!

NoBody
10-05-09, 19:00
The tracer (spelling) was started today. We will see!

Was the rifle insured?

trojanman
10-06-09, 17:14
Not sure what is was insured for but I got an email today from shop owner that said if UPS does not find rifle by wed. he will send out another one and file the claim. He may have had it insured for enough to make more money but he will have to wait on the money and still send me a rifle. Sounds like a very stand up thing in my mind. Once again we will see.

CobraBG
10-06-09, 17:24
That's good to hear. It sounds like you will be taken care of and will have your new rifle soon.:)

NoBody
10-06-09, 20:38
Not sure what is was insured for but I got an email today from shop owner that said if UPS does not find rifle by wed. he will send out another one and file the claim. He may have had it insured for enough to make more money but he will have to wait on the money and still send me a rifle. Sounds like a very stand up thing in my mind. Once again we will see.

That's awesome news! Now you can breath a sign of relief. ;)

BiggLee71
10-06-09, 22:03
That ****in blows.Hope it works out for you.