PDA

View Full Version : Glock 17 historical note

Slater
10-03-09, 19:03
From Wikipedia (Glock article):

The results of the Austrian trials sparked a wave of interest in Western Europe and overseas, particularly in the United States, where a similar effort to select a service-wide replacement for the M1911 had been ongoing since the late 1970s (known as the Joint Service Small Arms Program). In late 1983, the United States Department of Defense inquired about the Glock pistol and received four samples of the Glock 17 for unofficial evaluation. Glock was then invited to participate in the XM9 Personal Defence Pistol Trials, but declined because the DOD specifications would require extensive retooling of production equipment and providing 35 test samples in an unrealistic time frame.

Given the Glock 17's radical (for that time) design, would there have been any realistic chance for it in those trials?

TMMT
10-03-09, 19:28
I don't think the Glock was a radical design for the time, considering the stuff Heckler and Koch already had in production.

I'm sure the DOD did test the Glock and I'm sure they still do evaluate it when they update their requirements from time to time.

Business_Casual
10-03-09, 19:45
I'm sure they still do evaluate it when they update their requirements from time to time.

I'm quite sure certain units have Glocks in inventory.

M_P

SWATcop556
10-03-09, 22:08
I'm quite sure certain units have Glocks in inventory.

M_P

Are you at liberty to elaborate? If not, I understand.

Iraq Ninja
10-03-09, 22:18
I carry a DOD issued Glock. There are some military units with .40 cal Glocks as well.

Slater
10-03-09, 22:25
Considering that the Glock is a striker-fired weapon with no traditional mechanical safety, would it have met the JSSAP requirements of the early 1980's?

tpd223
10-04-09, 22:44
I know of at least one US high speed unit that was carrying Glock 19s by choice.

Iraqgunz
10-04-09, 23:59
It's common knowledge that at least one Tier 1 unit is using Glocks. :)

Are you at liberty to elaborate? If not, I understand.

TMMT
10-05-09, 00:35
Well as a long time member of a very low speed high drag unit I can safely safe the Glock makes a fine weapon. It holds the lid closed on my donut box, keepin' all those nasty little sprinkles from flyin' 'round inside the car, gettin' all over everything and making the boss mad...