PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick a Colt

bakon
10-03-09, 20:18
The site has way more info than the Colt site, or any manufactor for that matter. Been reading for a week and my head is spinning. Lots of questions.

Used a Colt M16a1 (full auto) 20+ years ago in Army. Dept I'm with now uses Bushmaster AR15's and now some M4s. Both sons are in military now. One Marine, One Army. Both MP's but neither has used an M4 yet (M16 and Beretta 9mm).

Thinking of trying to get two M-4, Colt, with sequential serial numbers if possible for them. Thinking is they could add to them what they want and would last them a good long time. (Wish someone got me one back when I was young). Looked at DD and the CDD models as a value but they are not what I had or they had. We all used Colts... so unless they are superior..sticking to Colt, figure they got years to add the extras.

Thing is I get the 6920, then I see the 6940 and wonder if the extra stock is worth it. Most think the sights are not. but if 6920, is the front site going to be in the way if they add some other optic?

Then the Colt site shows a 6520, 6721, 6921.. there comes the confusion. Can find the 6920 but can't find the 6940 to compare. Sure I read the thread comparing them, but what about these other models?

Have not counted out the DD or CDD models, just need to justify buying them.

Any feedback, negative or positive, thanks and help point me where to go.

TMMT
10-03-09, 20:28
Buy the 6920!

SiGfever
10-03-09, 20:34
The 6920, DD, or gives these a look...

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=16M_RIFLE&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3D%26searchstart%3D9%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html%26category%3DBCOM

E53001
10-03-09, 20:37
check out BCM, from G & R Tactical cheaper and just as good as colts

Kentucky Cop
10-03-09, 21:21
We all can agree that the 6920 is the staple of the choices. However, as I have a 6920 also, I really love my 6940. Yes, the rear BUIS is junk and prone to break, but swap it out when you can, toss a RDS on it and you all ready have a rail.....6940 would be my choice:D
Ky Cop

Ak44
10-03-09, 22:07
IIRC 6520 is a pencil bbl, 6721 is a Heavy bbl, and the 6921 is a 14.5" bbl (which is a Short Barrel Rifle and would have to go through Class III paperwork). The 6920 would be a good first rifle, because eventually you'll end up getting more. The 6940 is nice since it already has the rail built in (eventually you'll want a rail anyways to mount accessories). You can definitely find good prices if you shop around for either gun. Finding two rifles with consecutive serial numbers isn't hard/uncommon, just gotta find the dealer who has them. If you do mount an optic on the 6920 you may or may not get the front sight post in the way, depending on how tall of a mount you get. Imo it's nice having a co-witness (seeing the front sight post through the optic) because if your batteries die you can flip up the BUIS and see right through the optic without any problem. I wish my dad would of bought me a rifle when I was in the Marines! Good luck, I hope this helped. :cool:

perna
10-04-09, 03:59
A local dealer here has a case of 6920, might have consecutive serial numbers, they are selling for $1179. They sell on gun broker so I know they will ship them. If you want the number let me know.

bakon
10-04-09, 07:02
The BCM looks nice and has some goodies....what is a T marked upper reciever? Looking at the comparison chart, it does have everything a colt has plus a lifetime warranty. How old is the company though? Colt only has 1 year warranty but a lifetime of experiance.?.

How much,average, would it cost to add rails and a flip up rear sight to the 6920 down the road?

Assuming the same cost to add an optic to the 6920, 6940 or BCM.

ThirdWatcher
10-04-09, 07:13
bakon, I bought Colt 6920s for both my young warriors (both Army) when they graduated AIT and they are very happy with them. Like most soldiers, they don't know much about weaponry but they recognize the name "Colt" when they see it.:)

I'm so damn proud of them that I bought them M9A1 pistols for graduating BCT.

bakon
10-04-09, 07:31
That's my thinking on the Colt too. The Marine is through with MP school and might be deployed soon to Afganistan. Has to go out to California for some training first. The Soldier is through basic, does MP school next summer after high school is done. Figure they can add what they want later. Very proud myself.

Whats BCT? Marine went through some infantry school before MP training but dont remember what its called. Camp Gieger in NC. Said everyone does it but infantry stays longer.

blhar15
10-04-09, 08:07
Go wtih the 6920 for your first Colt. If you buy more down the road, you can try a different model. The 6940 is a cool new platform, but disadvantage is you need a special barrel wrench to pull the barrel and the barrel extension is proprietary to Colt.

Beat Trash
10-04-09, 09:19
I would suggest going with the 6920's. Leave them stock. As your son's gain experience in their respective branches of service, they will determine what accessories they prefer, and can change the carbines you are giving them to suit their particular needs and tastes.

RogerinTPA
10-04-09, 09:38
Get the 6920s. The rail on the 6940 isn't long enough IMHO and the rear site sucks. They can accessorize them later. Have them join this site to get some ideas about different rails, red dot sights, etc... Code4 has them for $1150.00 http://code4lesales.com/listman/listings/l0005.php

bakon
10-04-09, 11:43
How about the 6721 with the heavy barrel ,compared to the 6920? Local dealer has the 6721 for $1296. His 6920 is not on sale and its $1350.

Colt site lists the 6721 as heavy barrel at 1 turn in 9. Also a flat top reciever. Colt calls it an AR15A3.

I read here the 6920 is 1:7 and that seems to be prefered?

No knowledge of heavy barrel or if the other model is M4 type feed, just wondering here.

Surf
10-04-09, 12:14
Many do not like, or feel that the added weight of the heavy barrel to be an advantage. You will also want to purchase the barrel in a 5.56 chamber as opposed to .223. The 1:7 twist is generally preferred as it handles pretty much everything from 55gr up to heavier weight bullets. M4 ramps are best.

I own several Colt models including the main ones mentioned here, AR15A3, 6920 and 6940. Of the ones mentioned, for your needs I would highly suggest the 6920.

SiGfever
10-04-09, 12:30
The BCM looks nice and has some goodies....what is a T marked upper reciever? Looking at the comparison chart, it does have everything a colt has plus a lifetime warranty. How old is the company though? Colt only has 1 year warranty but a lifetime of experiance.?.

How much,average, would it cost to add rails and a flip up rear sight to the 6920 down the road?

Assuming the same cost to add an optic to the 6920, 6940 or BCM.

Here is a thread copied with Mr. Rogers's permission from Lightfighter Forum...

"Pat _Rogers
Leadership Moderator

Posted 23 August 2009 23:51 23 August 2009 23:51
Hide Post

I'll admit my bias here, both to Colt and Bravo Company.

We have a lot of Colts in the armory, but now- more BCM's.

I have been running Colt's for a long time, and never a proplem to speak of.
I have been running BCM for 3.5 years now, and amd completely satisfied with them.

The 6920 is the Gold Standard. The 6940 T&E i have has seen 14250 rds, no cleaning, no problems.

I have run a lot of BCM T&E guns, and have had excellent results.

Colt is a Big Company and has made several million AR's. They started it and know what they are doing.

Paul is a small company and has made substantially less guns.

However, i can pick up the phone and call Paul 24/7 (and have).
I have had uppers and parts overnighted to me on multiple occassions- to include last Friday.

I have friends at Colt but that service is impossible from a big company.

They are both great companies and both make great guns. Their guns are to spec (with exception of F/A parts).
I have no clue what fit and finish means nor do i care. What goes into the guns is waaaay more important to me.

You would be well served by either.
My preference is Bravo Company.

Just sayin'...

S/F"

bakon
10-04-09, 13:05
6920 wins for the boys. Maybe a BCM for me next year. Thanks everyone.

SWATcop556
10-04-09, 14:27
You and your boys will be happy and well served with either. I'm a self admitted BCM fanboy/koolaid drinker/whore. :cool:

goodoleboy
10-04-09, 15:01
Go with the 6920. As has been mentioned before, I'd leave it stock and let your sons choose what to put on it. You can't go wrong with a Colt.

hossb7
10-04-09, 15:11
If CA didn't have stupid laws my first AR would have been a complete 6920. Instead I built up a CMMG on a Stag lower. My 2nd carbine was a BCM upper, which has been fantastic and problem-free. I already had 3 stripped lowers purchased before they started offering complete rifles, otherwise I probably would have gotten one of those.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with BCM or Colt, whichever is in stock/cheaper/better deal/etc will be fine. Coin flip.

boganz45
10-05-09, 02:37
Colt 6920.

ThirdWatcher
10-05-09, 03:02
Whats BCT?

BCT = Basic Combat Training (Boot Camp to Navy and Marines).

When I gave Colt 6920's to both my young warriors, BCM wasn't marketing "Professional Grade Weaponry" the way there are now. I know BCM makes great rifles because I have one. Nonetheless, I wanted to give them the closest thing to an M4 as I could afford so I don't regret buying 6920's. That way THEY know I bought them the best.

I usually buy more 9mm and 2.23 ammo every payday because they can really burn through it when they come home on leave. :)

Ghostrider_911
10-05-09, 05:53
I purchased my 6940 as my graduation present from BCT/AIT (OSUT) to go with an LWRCI rifle. Can't go wrong with the 6920 either but the 6940 is just that much better for me.