PDA

View Full Version : Olympic 9mm AR15 Upper

Peragimus
10-03-09, 21:02
I have read through many, many pages of discussions about the quality of Olympic .223 uppers. I have read through just as many pages of the specific differences between the Colt system and the Olympic and the tweaks needed for the Colt system.

What suprises me is that with all the bad opinions of Olympic receivers, I haven't been able to find is one single complaint about the Olympic 9mm system. Actually the opposite; 100% reliable, will feed anything, no tweaking at all, etc.

What's confusing me is this; the receiver is the same .223 receiver (plus a couple extra holes) that a lot of people don't like. hasn't anyone ever had a problem with machining or metal fatique?
I haven't found any complaints at all about extraction or ejection, but how reliable and how durable can a thin wire spring be for an ejector as opposed to the colt system?
Has anyone ever had any problem with an Olympic upper?
I'm not SWAT, or even a cop, but does anyone ever really depend on an Olympic 9mm?

I'm not trying to be paranoid, or find a reason not to like it; I just want to make sure if I get one I don't regret not buying a Rock River instead. Especially with Olympic seeming to run about $100 more.

Thank you very much for any input.

Drew

M&P45
10-07-09, 18:32
I live in NY so it made the most sense to buy the Oly if I wanted affordable standard cap mags. I bought my Oly 9mm upper lightly used. It was in A2 configuration. I purchased a new CMT A3 upper and had it drilled for the Oly ejector. I have approx 2500 rounds through it so far and ejection is still strong. I have a spare ejector spring and pin set JIC. I am using surplus sten mags and a KKF magwell block. I have not had a single failure of any kind. It makes me wonder when I hear all of the issues people have with the colt style system.