PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on UNS style IWB holsters?

signsrup
10-04-09, 10:48
First, let me mention, that I realize that IWB are like shoes, what works great for one, is horrible for another.
That being said, i'd like some feedback from those who have tried one of the all leather Seventrees style UNS holsters out there........Null UNS, Bulman TSA flat, Sparks Executive.
Are they more comfortable TO YOU than a coventional style IWB?

I would like to try one for my M&P 9 fullsize, but would like some opinions before dropping $150.

I guess my reservation is due to trying an MTAC a couple of years ago, i hated it. There was just too much "stuff" there for me. I realize an MTAC is a far cry from a UNS, but it's the only holster i've tried with the flat profile against your body.

BobM
10-04-09, 19:02
I used to use left handed Sparks EX holsters when I'd carry a second gun IWB. I had them for a S&W 3913 and a Ruger SP101. Back when I got them they were under $100 and only a four month wait. I found them very comfortable, and I'd generally have them on around 16 hours or so in a day, every day.

DBR
10-05-09, 17:37
I really like the Ken Null UNS. I have several of them. There are a couple of things to consider. First, one handed re-holstering takes a bit of practice and will never be as easy as holsters with a reinforced mouth. Second, weapon retention depends a great deal on belt tension.

For me they are also one of the most concealable IWB holsters I have used (I also have Kramer, Sparks, Mitch Rosen and Allessi). Ken's turn around time has been very fast - usually a couple of weeks.

I find them very comfortable and very fast on the draw.

signsrup
10-07-09, 14:08
DBR and Bob, thanks.
I was concerned that retention could be an issue. The Bulman and Sparks versions both have reinforced mouths to help with re-holstering, but a Kramer #3 probably has much better retention than any of the "flat" designs. Just a guess.

scottr
10-07-09, 16:49
In the last 20 years I have worn IWB holsters from Bianchi, Ted Blocker, Blade-Tech, Comp-Tac, Desantis. FIST, Galco, Horseshoe, Milt Sparks, Kramer, Safariland, and Uncle Mikes in cowhide, horsehide, nylon and kydex. I have non-IWB holsters from at least half a dozen other makers, including Ken Null.

By far the most comfortable IWB I have is the UNS-style Desantis Cozy Partner.

The older Desantis Cozy Partner looked almost the same as pictures of the Null UNS, the Alessi Hideout, and the Seventrees IWB. It is by far the most comfortable IWB I have tried. Retention, as noted, is 'tight-belt' method. The current Cozy Partner has a 'reinforcing band' that doesn't keep the holster open as well as a Milt Sparks or Kramer, but does make it slightly less comfortable than the UNS style.

I will add that the IWB I wear the most is the Blade-Tech. I like the slim holster (no reinforcing band needed), no-drag draw, one handed reholster, easy cleaning, and settable retention.

If you like the thinness of the UNS style but are including the Sparks EX, you might also look at the Sparks 'New Products' link for the HR-Ltd. It has outboard loops but is reinforced and flatter looking than most reinforced leather IWBs. With the outboard loops it may not be any better for you than the MTAC was.

DBR
10-07-09, 19:29
Of the Kramer holsters the #3 is IMO the best for the Glock or other wide slide guns. I have one each for the 27, 19 and 17. They have very good retention as do all of the IWB Kramers. The are angled forward a bit more than the FBI 15*. This is a mixed blessing. It makes the draw easier but it also lets the back end of the slide stick out a bit more. I find it works best for me worn between 4 and 5 o'clock.

The #3 is also a bit more bulky at the top but it is above the belt line so it doesn't bother me much.

When I carry IWB I find myself choosing the Ken Null UNS and I have for about 15 years.

Edited to add: My carry style is a bit unconventional. I wear "Welch" (http://www.davidmorgan.com/welchsuspenders.html) heavy duty real (not clip on) suspenders attached to my trouser waistband to hold everything up and I use a Filson single ply bridle leather belt to manage the IWB holster and any belt gear I am carrying. The single ply belt conforms very well to the holster. The belt depends on the pants to hold it up - not the other way around. This arrangement puts the load on my shoulders and eliminates the need to tighten my belt until my eyes bulge. It also allows me to wear my pants at my real anatomical waist not under my belly. This puts everything a couple of inches higher, is easier to conceal and I don't have to spend all day hiking up my pants, they just stay put. I have been using this system for about 20yrs. It works for me.

signsrup
10-24-09, 20:07
UPDATE.....I found an old unreinforced Cozy Partner (UNS style) for my k-frames on Ebay for cheap.

I do like this holster style, but I like AIWB better.

Jason Burton
11-13-09, 00:53
I know I'm late to this party but I’ve been meaning to reply to this thread for some time...

While the UNS may not be my personal favorite IWB holster it is a very workable design that has tangible benefits for handguns large and small. On the large side of things, I’ve used an Alessi Hideout (Lou’s variation of Paris Theodore’s UNS) for an N-frame and it has proven an exceptional rig for a large revolver. The wide holster body seems to help alleviate the “feel” of the N-frame’s big cylinder inside my waistband. On the “small” side of things, the larger holster body can help facilitate greater stability with shorter barreled pistols. Often times when a short barreled pistol is worn in an IWB many folks comment that the pistol feels like it wants to “squeeze” out the top of the holster due to the lack of barrel length helping to offset what may be a higher ride. The oversized holster body of the UNS helps balance these things out.

I think overall the holster works for allot of folks because of the elevated comfort level due to its large holster body. From my perspective, when contrasted to my favorite IWB of all time, the Summer Special, the UNS design and its larger holster body certainly seems to have made a difference when I’m packing a S&W M58.

With all that said, if you’re still considering or find yourself once again in the market for a UNS style rig you may also want to look at the Alessi PCH. The basic inspiration for the PCH was Lou’s Hideout which is based off the Seventrees UNS. Lou once commented to me that the PCH was an improvement on his Hideout and it (the PCH) offered all the benefits of the UNS plus a more efficient way to keep the mouth-band open without having to add a reinforcement. I have used the PCH extensively and found it to be a better IWB than the UNS in almost every regard... it may be worth a look for you.

DBR
11-13-09, 01:53
I have no experience with the PCH and do not doubt your evaluation. What I do know is I can get a horsehide UNS from Ken Null in less than three weeks.

xray 99
11-13-09, 03:26
I've tried just about all of the IWB styles. The Sparks Executives Companion and the Null UNS are the most comfortable for me. The Alessi PCH comes in a close second.