PDA

View Full Version : which .22lr fun-gun? Umarex M4 or GSG5?

mattjmcd
10-04-09, 11:17
My local shop has one of each. I was impressed with the "feel" of the GSG5, but the Umarex might be more applicable for training since the platform feels more like my AR's.

What say you?

The GSG5, or this..?

http://www.onpointfirearms.com/blog/2009/01/12/colt-22lr-m4-carbine-by-umarex/

LOKNLOD
10-04-09, 12:07
By most all accounts I'm seeing, the Umarex is revealing itself to be a real turd :( Of course, take that for what it's worth, secondhand info, but there are several threads about it here.

The GSGs are neat toys. The "cool" factor is high for those who grew up in the era of MP5's being the badass weapon in movies and games.

If I wanted training value I'd get one of the S&W .22 AR's, or a conversion upper/kit.

10MMGary
10-04-09, 13:54
IMO for a fun gun/plinker I would go with the GSG5. If you want a 22AR get a dedicated upper. I have read dozens of horror stories in regards to the "Colt"/Umarex/Walther offering. I haven't heard near as many bad reports on the S&W offering, but I will say it felt less than substantial(re;cheap) to me. Let me say again that this is just my opinion based on what I have read and heard about the C/U/W and from holding the S&W. I would go with the GSG5 or get a dedicated AR upper in 22LR. Whatever you finally decide to get, be sure to post back and let know first hand.

Boris
10-04-09, 14:32
The GSG5 I fired was fun and accurate as hell - regularly hitting 4" plates out to 85 yards with the iron sights. I can't comment on the Umarex but if I were selecting one of the two, I'd go with the GSG5.

-B

mattjmcd
10-04-09, 14:57
Any additional comments are welcome! Thanks for the feedback, guys. I am not TOO stuck on accuracy but then again, a gun with truly poor accuracy becomes un-fun in a hurry.

I confess that based on feel alone, the GSG seems a bit superior.

John_Wayne777
10-04-09, 16:08
The Umarex product is not faring well. Some people seem to be happy with theirs, but as this link points out...some aren't:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=38741

I've seen a lot of problem reports with the GSG guns as well.

Personally I'd stick to the S&W .22 AR if you want something like that.

FromMyColdDeadHand
10-04-09, 16:11
I too was surprised how hefty the GSG is. I really don't like the rear drum sight so, I bought the rail, but haven't mounted a red dot on it yet. Trigger is OK, angle of pop can accuracy. I bought the collapsible stock, and the plastic construction lead to the parts getting rounded and having it fail. Side folder looks nicer, though the standard stock is fine.

I got it as a way to familiarize new shooters with rifles. It is definately a toy, but really fun to shoot. Nice to be at the range and hand it to a stranger with a full mag and not wince with every shot.

Nice to be do the MP5 slap too :D

foxjordan22
10-04-09, 18:42
my (opinion) only.
between those two i say gsg. but i say overall.

1 dedicated upper great realistic training tool
2 smithwesson mp22 light good reviews
3 keltec su22 harder to find
4 gsg heavy
5 umarex not made by colt bad reviews

the.2nd1
10-04-09, 19:32
I have not heard good things about the Colt umarex.

C4IGrant
10-04-09, 19:37
Of those two, I would go w/ the GSG.

With that said, the new S&W .22 is superior to both.

C4

My local shop has one of each. I was impressed with the "feel" of the GSG5, but the Umarex might be more applicable for training since the platform feels more like my AR's.

What say you?

The GSG5, or this..?

http://www.onpointfirearms.com/blog/2009/01/12/colt-22lr-m4-carbine-by-umarex/

superman07
10-04-09, 19:48
SW proprietary?

I would like a additional 22 option but not looking for proprietary items.

C4IGrant
10-04-09, 19:53
SW proprietary?

I would like a additional 22 option but not looking for proprietary items.

Proprietary? Not sure I follow.

Yes, you have to use their lower, but their complete gun is cheaper than most .22 uppers & their mags are superior to all others IMHO.

C4

Beck 27
10-05-09, 00:14
I had a Colt M4 OPS. Sold it due to too many proprietary parts and a bitch to clean. I now have the S&W M&P 15-22. Much better gun all around, IMHO. And made in USA.

Mac5.56
10-05-09, 00:26
So your saying you don't want to own a gun that who's replacement parts, mags, ext are only made and distributed by the manufacturer?

I understand the logic if I was to apply it to a standard M4, or other rifles, but your talking a very specific "fun gun" that you are looking to purchase. If you don't want a proprietary .22 why not buy the Ruger 10-22 there are plenty of after market kits and parts for that gun?

Georgie Boy
10-05-09, 01:49
Break open one of the Umarexes, and you'll see right away why people don't like it. Looks good, and feels good, but that's about it. Getting picky, but the safety must be thrown 180 degrees, the bolt catch/release doesn't function, the "trigger pins" are merely grooves cut into the receiver, it takes a punch to move the takedown pins to break it down, can't remove the bcg to clean, and not sure exactly what it is, but the insides look like pot-metal.

S&W or GSG is the way to go.

a1fabweld
10-05-09, 02:53
I have 2 GSG's (one for each kid), & an AR22 type built from parts by me using a TS upper, CMMG lower, LPK, & stock. The GSG definitely has the advantage in accuracy. I was not expecting good accuracy from it, but I was pleasantly surprised that it is.
The GSG also feed & ejects more reliably than the AR22. I'd get the GSG.

mattjmcd
10-06-09, 11:55
Of those two, I would go w/ the GSG.

With that said, the new S&W .22 is superior to both.

C4

Grant, phone message left for you at work.

C4IGrant
10-06-09, 11:58
Grant, phone message left for you at work.

Uhm, ok. E-mail's work MUCH better. ;)

C4