PDA

View Full Version : AR Magazines

eXistenZ
10-04-09, 17:17
So I'm new to the AR scene and I was watching "American Guardian" or "Best Defense" and they mentioned "only having 28 or 29 rounds in each magazine." Are they referring to inserting a full mag and chambering a round thereby leaving you with 29 or is there some reason to not load a mag to full capacity, chamber a round, and then top off the mag? Thanks!

LOKNLOD
10-04-09, 17:26
Downloading a 30 rd mag to 28 rounds will allow you to more reliably seat a fresh mag in the rifle with the bolt closed (like when doing a "tactical" reload).

Having your fresh mag fall out of the rifle on the next shot is no bueno.

eXistenZ
10-04-09, 17:32
Downloading a 30 rd mag to 28 rounds will allow you to more reliably seat a fresh mag in the rifle with the bolt closed (like when doing a "tactical" reload).

Having your fresh mag fall out of the rifle on the next shot is no bueno.

That makes sense. Still be a good idea to train to tug after each mag insert though. Thanks!

Iraqgunz
10-04-09, 17:37
It is also a non-issue with PMAG's. The reason an aluminum mag will not seat properly on a closed bolt is because the magazine is loaded to max capacityand the round is actually hitting the bottom on the BCG. Magpul has apparently calculated that into their design.

That makes sense. Still be a good idea to train to tug after each mag insert though. Thanks!

eXistenZ
10-04-09, 17:39
It is also a non-issue with PMAG's. The reason an aluminum mag will not seat properly on a closed bolt is because the magazine is loaded to max capacityand the round is actually hitting the bottom on the BCG. Magpul has apparently calculated that into their design.

Glad I bought PMag's then! :D Only aluminum mags I have are the factory ones that came with it.

RogerinTPA
10-04-09, 18:14
Even with 30 rounds and Magpul followers in Aluminum mags, I still have around a 1/4" inch depth left when I push down on a fully loaded mag. As always, use "push pull" when inserting a mag, and use what ever you feel comfortable with (28 or 30 rounds).

Quib
10-04-09, 18:28
Even with 30 rounds and Magpul followers in Aluminum mags, I still have around a 1/4" inch depth left when I push down on a fully loaded mag. As always, use "push pull" when inserting a mag, and use what ever you feel comfortable with (28 or 30 rounds).

I own strictly GI mags, have a pretty good supply on hand, and have yet to purchase a Magpul Pmag. But, I have been considering purchasing a few Magpul followers to try out.

M4tographer
10-04-09, 18:48

Regardless of make, test them. I've seen Pmags that didn't work that way. ;)

Ak44
10-04-09, 18:56
It's always good to have a healthy mix of usgi mags and pmags. I put magpul followers in the usgi mags so they can run better.

LOKNLOD
10-04-09, 19:56
All my Pmags will take 31 rounds easily, and if I remember correctly, that's a side-effect of being designed to function better with 30 rounds than a standard USGI aluminum mag.

That said, at class last week Costa recommended 28 rds in mags across the board, including Pmags. I did so, and it worked. I had a couple times that the mag was still hard to seat... Could have been other factors (or accidentally loaded to 30).

RogerinTPA
10-04-09, 20:08
I own strictly GI mags, have a pretty good supply on hand, and have yet to purchase a Magpul Pmag. But, I have been considering purchasing a few Magpul followers to try out.

I bought crap load of DSG and BCM Aluminum mags with the Magpul followers. I even replaced the green followers on NHMTG USGI mags I acquired recently. They really do provide a smoother feed and eliminates "follower diving" malfunctions. I have about 50 Alum mags and around 100 Pmags now. I may get more if the prices at BCM remain the same on there "overstock" mags.

10-04-09, 21:59
28 per mag, push/pull to check.

Quib
10-05-09, 05:57
I bought crap load of DSG and BCM Aluminum mags with the Magpul followers. I even replaced the green followers on NHMTG USGI mags I acquired recently. They really do provide a smoother feed and eliminates "follower diving" malfunctions.

Yes Sir, I may just have to start doing the same.

I have about 50 Alum mags and around 100 Pmags now. I may get more if the prices at BCM remain the same on there "overstock" mags.

I saw those "overstock" Pmags too. At that price I might pick up a couple.

Alaskapopo
10-05-09, 06:18
P Mags are slightly longer to accommodate a full 30 rounds. Be careful however because you can sometimes load 31 into P Mags after they have been used just a bit.
Pat