PDA

View Full Version : Got your Will in order?

lalakai
10-05-09, 00:10
as i was reviewing the different topics here, many aspects of disaster response are being reviewed. But who has their will in order, up to date, and legal? Something to think about along with getting the basics in order.

each state is different, but bottom line is: if you don't have a will, you just lost control of what happens after you die. Your spouse may ultimately receive it, but without a will, it will take alot longer, and they will receive alot less (taxes are more painful without a will). worst case scenario is that both parents die, leaving children behind; you don't want to know what can happen in those cases.

put it on a sticky note to yourself.:eek:

Spiffums
10-05-09, 08:19
For SHTF........ its more a if you die we are splitting up your gear.

I think everyone should have a will or at least a note on what to do if you die.

Mac5.56
10-05-09, 17:57
The only thing I have made official and legal is that both my sisters, my fiance, and my mother all know that I have no wish to be kept alive if I am on feeding tubes. I have a certain number of trusted doctors/family members that if they all come to a consensus the tube is pulled. No state, or idiot politics will keep me a on a feeding tube!

Since I don't have much "stuff" at this point in my life I am not to worried about a will, but considering there are copyright issues involved with my life, I should probably consider having a will legally written up.

lalakai
10-06-09, 07:57
For SHTF........ its more a if you die we are splitting up your gear.

lol as long as my gear would be used for the same goals i would use them for, can't disagree.

Argus
10-06-09, 22:51
Good post. Preparedness is about more than being ready to fight off the terrorist zombie hordes and survive the superflu.

By all means prepare as much as you can for major disasters. But an end-of-civilization type event is unlikely. On the other hand, we're all going to die some day. So buy something like Quicken Willmaker and make a will. It's cheap peace of mind. And then you can use it to set up a living trust for your NFA toys. That's what I did, so now I have a will AND an SBR for CQZB (Close Quarters Zombie Battle). It's a win-win!

Obviously if you have a more complicated estate, you probably should work with an attorney. But Willmaker was fine for my purposes, at least for now.

blade_68
10-09-09, 03:41
done the will and "living will"??? (pull the plug);) one back in 03 I'll have a well off cat, she never have to work again:D not that she does now. don't know what a cat is going to do with 4 jeeps, 2 boats, a gun safe full of gun and over $400000 though. with what family I've got alive I'd best not let them know how much I'm worth being in the ground. some of them would help me on :eek: