PDA

View Full Version : Feedback on Accupoint TR21R???

ashooter
02-22-07, 05:48
I'm considering one of these as a general purpose optic for a 12.5" barreled SBR. My gut tells me to just buy another Aimpoint, but the TR21 sounds great for the price - 4x is nice to have if you can get it.

I'm looking for feedback from somebody who's used one extensively... Specifically, is there some image distortion at low power? Pretty rugged optic? Any other good/bad feedback?

thanks!

jjw
02-23-07, 18:45
i have used both sizes extensively for s.b.r.'s and other stuff

my logic was to hit a man sized body at 400 yds on demand form a bi pod
it does it very well at long distances it is not a 1 m.o.s. scope but itis a 3-4 m.o.a. i liked the point at the top and shot it well on a 223 for several years
also i could use it as a contac distance scope if i need to and it gave me flexibility near and far.

i kept selling them off my gun at shoots and replacing it as i am a trijicon dealer ans always have 1 in stock.

i went to a higher grade scope in vison and flexibility and to shoot further.

i never felt under powered i just wanted better glass to shoot further a bit more accurately. it is NOT the 1 m.o.a. glass for 5-600 yds but it performs admiralby out to 350-400. my web site manager is a nationaly ranked sillouette(?) shooter and he has 3 for all kinds of stuff

my breathing and eyes preclude me form doing much better but a young person probably could

ask i am around & good luck

b.l. farley (jjw)
www.odspec.com
1-800-508-1040

p.s. i used it BEFORE i was a dealer or before i openrd outdoor specialties, in 1999. a vey famous shooting instructor (and friend and business associate) said this: if u can only have 1 scope this is it,he had never seen 1. it is so much better than an acog it is not funny.

it is not well known but a great choice

USMC03
02-23-07, 18:51
I used the Trijicon Accupoint 1.25-4x with a red triangle (TR21R) on a duty gun for a short period of time. I shot matches and did some training with it as well as taking it on calls at work. While I didn't care for this optic on 1.25x because it slowed me down too much for my preference at CQB distances.

I really liked this scope on 1.5x - 4x.

On 1.25x the scope had too much eye relief (I'm a nose to charging handle shooter) even in a LaRue SPR-E with the LaRue mount as far forward on the flat top as possible and the scope mounted as far forward as it would go in the scope mount.

There was some distortion that I couldn't get use to on 1.25x. The best way I could describe this distortion is, it is like looking through a bubble.

I did have a problem with the reticle washing out a couple times in the dark using a white light. It didn't completely wash out, but the lit reticle was dim, thus making it harder to locate in a hurry.

If using the TR21 to shoot longer distance, the reticle under the triangle is 3 bold vertical lines that can completely cover the target, thus making "hold over" difficult to impossible.

Just my .02........your milage may vary.

ashooter
02-23-07, 21:47
Thanks for the info guys. I keep seeing the same things - "it's the next best thing to a Short Dot" and "there is some funky distortion around the edges of the view through the scope that is distracting".

USMC03 - Did you feel like you got "lost" in the scope at CQB distances? Or was it usable with both eyes open like a Short Dot or an Aimpoint?

Aimpoints I know. I know their speed at close quarters, and I know that for me their limit is about 100m due to no magnification for target i.d. No problem at a range with clearly visible targets, but for "real world" use they are a CQB optic only (in my opinion).

For the price, the TR21R seems potentially too good NOT to try.

Maybe I'll just flip a coin.

:confused:

USMC03
02-24-07, 19:37
USMC03 - Did you feel like you got "lost" in the scope at CQB distances? Or was it usable with both eyes open like a Short Dot or an Aimpoint?

Aimpoints I know. I know their speed at close quarters, and I know that for me their limit is about 100m due to no magnification for target i.d. No problem at a range with clearly visible targets, but for "real world" use they are a CQB optic only (in my opinion).

For the price, the TR21R seems potentially too good NOT to try.

Maybe I'll just flip a coin.

:confused:

Lost wouldn't be the right term. It just took me longer than what I find acceptable to get on target.

The TR21 is usalbe with both eyes open.

One thing I really didn't like was on 1.25x it had TOO MUCH eye relief, even mounted in a LaRue SPR-E with the scope as far forward as I could get it. I had my nose 4" - 6" rear of the charging handle. It was also blurry around the edges and the center was distorted like I was looking through a bubble or something.

At one point I thought it might be the 1.25x magnification that was slowing me down so much, but I can acquire a target quicker with a Leupold MR/T 1.5-5x on 1.5x than I could with the TR21 on 1.25x.

Another factor that played a role in slowing me down is head placement. It had to be just perfect with the TR21 or you would get the black ring covering 1/3 or more of your sight picture. Never had this problem with the Short Dot.

I hear a lot of chatter on the internet about how the TR21 is a "poor man's" Short Dot, yadda, yadda, yadda. I bet most of the guys posting this stuff have never been in the same room with either optic. Most of them are just going off specs.

Speaking of specs.......an Saturn and a Mercedes Benz look a lot a like on paper, except for the price.......Kind of like the TR21 and the Short Dot :rolleyes:

I'm not telling you to not try the TR21. I'm just telling you it didn't work for me and why it didn't work for me ;)

Take care and stay safe

Semper Fi,
Jeff

ashooter
02-24-07, 21:14
Thanks Jeff... I think you just talked me out of it.

I think I'll just move the NF 1-4 over to the SBR and save up a few more pennies for a 1.5-5 MR/T for the 16" carbine. I've been a little disappointed with the precision limits of the Nightforce on that 16" Noveske barrel, but it ought to be plenty for a 12.5" barrel.

No gripes about your MR/T huh?

USMC03
02-25-07, 09:26
No gripes about the MR/T. I wouldn't use it for kicking doors / CQB (though it can be pressed into this role if need were to arise), but its an outstanding optic for a patrol carbine, competition, etc.

I'll write more later. Heading out to a rifle match in a few minutes.

-Jeff

USMC03
02-25-07, 18:48
They are long reads, but they may be worth your time. Check out the following threads (MR/T) info along with info on several other optics (screen name USMC03 in both threads:

http://www.snipershide.net/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=80654&page=1&fpart=2

http://www.snipershide.net/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=104260&page=1#Post104260

Hope this helps

ashooter
02-25-07, 22:06
Thanks Jeff, I will take a look.

If anybody's interested, I did some "CQB" type shooting today (5-15m, multiple targets) with the Nightforce 1-4x and was pleasantly surprised. I'd always reserved it for longer distance shooting in the past. It was a little awkward compared to the Aimpoint, but my hits were good and not noticeably slower. It's no Short Dot by a long shot, but it not bad at all for a GP carbine optic.

I think I'll try it in Pat Rogers' class next week and if it feels good I'll use it on the SBR and try a 1.5-5 MR/T on the "recce". Optics should both match the host weapons better that way as well.