PDA

View Full Version : New SPR finished!

Surf
10-05-09, 02:40
I finally finished my Special Purpose Rifle (SPR) build. I had been running a Daniel Defense 16" barrel while I was waiting on the Noveske 18" Stainless Steel SPR barrel. Well the Noveske finally showed up the other day and I finished up the rifle. I added a paint job to some pieces including the barrel. I will get out to shoot it either Monday or Tuesday.

Here are the specs for the SPR

Lower
- Noveske N4, E marked lower
- Armalite LPK
- RRA two stage (worked)
- A2 style Stock
- Magpul BAD
- Ergo Suregrip

Upper
- Colt upper receiver
- Colt M16 BCG
- Noveske 18" SPR barrel, Stainless Steel, 1:7.
- Smith Vortex FH
- Troy MRF-RX 13.8" FF rail
- American Defense Recon-X QD scope mount
- Swarovski Habicht 10X scope
- Amercian Defense QD bipod adapter
- Harris bipod
- Surefire X300
- Magpul Back Up sights
- Magpul rail covers
- Wilson tac latch

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/SSDSurf/Guns/IMG_29351.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/SSDSurf/Guns/IMG_29291.jpg

Ziptie
10-05-09, 05:50
Great pieces/parts, VERY classy assembly and finish. Should serve you well serving the public well.

FromMyColdDeadHand
10-05-09, 05:52
Nice looking stick.

What paint did you use, and what is an 'E' mean for the Noveske lower?

CGoodwin
10-05-09, 16:43
Man, that is pretty! What is the configured empty weight on your SPR?

Surf
10-06-09, 02:04
Nice looking stick.

What paint did you use, and what is an 'E' mean for the Noveske lower?The barrel was hit with a high heat black base and a simple Krylon top coat. I then spray on 2-3 coats of a matte clear coat which I find to greatly increase the durability of this type of finish.

The Noveske "E" marked lowers, are the newest lowers with the beveled magwell, non-caliber marked and the fit and finish is awesome.

Surf
10-06-09, 02:05
Man, that is pretty! What is the configured empty weight on your SPR?Not sure as I haven't put it on a scale yet.

Surf
10-06-09, 20:16
I was able to get out and shoot the new rifle with the new Noveske 18" SPR, stainless, 1:7 barrel. First off according to Noveske, over the phone, and according to the instructions that came with the barrel, no break in was needed.

Monday 10/5, I took the rifle to the range and I punched the barrel with a wet patch then dry patched it prior to my first shot. I let it sit for about 1/2 hour while doing some other shooting before sending the first shot downrange. I had only brought Federal Tactical TRU .223, 55gr, Hi-Shok SP ammo. From experience with 1:7's, this is not bad ammo, but not the best choice.

I really had no cold bore shot as I got rounds on paper and then started zeroing on the 1st target below.I shot the target counter clockwise as numbered, and ended up in the middle square.

Wind was minimal 2-3, full value.
Temp around 84*
Humidity - pretty darn muggy.

This is Mondays target with the Federal ammo. My digital calipers battery was down, but the boxes are 1" square, with a dime for reference. I adjusted for zero on groups 1-4 and 4-5 remained the same. I noted that the Federal 55gr liked to give me a flyer, which seems to be common for me in the 55gr out of the 1:7, at least that is my excuse. ;) Overall I was really impressed with the barrel, and it was easily shooting sub 1MOA, and without the flyers, had easy potential for .75MOA or better.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/SSDSurf/Guns/IMG_29691-1.jpg

Went back to the range again today, Tuesday 10/6. Took a box of Hornady TAP, .223, 75gr BTHP ammo. Again from past experience, I knew that this Hornady TAP has done quite well for me out of 1:7's and I was looking forward to it. I took a true cold bore, first shot, then completed two 4 round groups. I had only planned to shoot a couple groups to verify zero, then try to accumulate dope out to distance. Again I only had 1 box of the Hornady, but I will have to go back out with more and continue to log groups. The Hornady shot very very well, and quite frankly didn't think the gas gun would shoot a group like the second one. For comparison, I put a .308 round in the same paster as the first group.

Wind = none
Temp around 86*
Humidity - pretty darn muggy.

Now from my non-calibrated ruler, from the second group, I get .5 inches outside to outside, minus .223 = :eek: While this is a bit early to say anything, and the amount of data isn't great, but I think it is safe to say that this rifle loves the Hornady ammo. :D

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/SSDSurf/Guns/IMG_29671.jpg

FrankRochester
10-06-09, 20:30
Wow...

JohnVassilakos
10-29-09, 16:14
That 2nd group on 10/6 is phenomenal!

You've really got to shoot some more to see if you can repeat that kind of accuracy from that combo and find out whether you've got a freak on your hands.

BTW, is the GRP your duty gun?

uwe1
11-04-09, 01:05
Beautiful rifle and amazing accuracy as well. Makes me want to get a SPR.

Surf
11-04-09, 16:07
So far that grouping from 10/6 is the best recorded to date for this rifle. I have logged 360 rounds out of this barrel to date. The Federal TRU is getting around 1" consistently, however I am also getting consistent "fliers" with the TRU ammo which is hurting consistency for tracking groups. Without the "fliers" the TRU ammo would be pushing sub MOA consistent. I am getting good consistent groups out of the 75gr TAP and 75gr Black Hills. There are no "fliers" that I don't call on my own, which are not shooter induced. With the TAP and Black Hills, I am getting consistent sub .75 MOA when I am doing my job. I would like to try the 77gr Black Hills eventually. I do not handload either, so I stick to what I can get my hands on, but we are issued the 55gr TRU, so that is mostly what I shoot.

I haven't taken it to a range where I can get past 450 yet. I would really like to stretch its legs.

No the NH is not my duty pistol. I carry a Sig P226 .40S&W.