PDA

View Full Version : "Building" an AR

Collegefour
10-05-09, 07:35
My question is, if you purchase a fully built lower (lpk already in and stock on), and separately purchase an upper, and then a BCG, a charging handle and BUIS, a front rail system and VFG, and then you put them all together yourself, did you "build" your AR, or does it require actually putting in your lpk and putting on your barrel to qualify as a "build"? Is there some etiquette here, or does it work both ways? I don't want to say that I've "built" three AR's if just putting together the parts I mentioned doesn't really qualify as a build with the AR community (that would be you guys)....

Ziptie
10-05-09, 09:33
Petty semantics have no place here. If you got the bread out, as well as the ham, roast beef, turkey, mustard, lettuce, tomatoes, and stacked them all together, did you build the sandwich if you didn't bake the bread? Get to building, and teach us a thing or two!!!!

Julius Carbinius
10-05-09, 09:52
The difference between the usage of the terms "build" and "assemble" as regards to an AR only mean anything to those who feel the need to make such a distinction.

I view the AR much the same way I view computers. I've "built" my own computers for years now. Researched the parts, gathered the components, installed them and connected all the wiring, flipped the power switch, installed the software, tweaked the settings for performance and troubleshot any problems. My AR "build" was pretty much the same thing.

I wouldn't worry about using the "proper" term. ;)

C4IGrant
10-05-09, 10:13
My question is, if you purchase a fully built lower (lpk already in and stock on), and separately purchase an upper, and then a BCG, a charging handle and BUIS, a front rail system and VFG, and then you put them all together yourself, did you "build" your AR, or does it require actually putting in your lpk and putting on your barrel to qualify as a "build"? Is there some etiquette here, or does it work both ways? I don't want to say that I've "built" three AR's if just putting together the parts I mentioned doesn't really qualify as a build with the AR community (that would be you guys)....

Technically, if you did not put EVERY part the AR, then you did not "build" it.

Most people classify taking an upper and a lower and pushing the pins together as a "custom" build.

I really don't think anyone on here really cares though.

C4

Quentin
10-05-09, 14:33
I think Julius Carbinius' analogy is perfect. I also "build" my own computers and have never bought a brand name desktop PC since 1987. I'd say with a PC or AR if you put the time in, research and choose components wisely then you are custom building. If you want to still call that assembling, that's fine too. It really doesn't matter.

If you slap something together without doing the homework then who knows what you're "doing".

Safetyhit
10-05-09, 15:02

I suspect you may be over thinking this one.

mrbieler
10-05-09, 15:35
Not using the term derisively, I think folks working with AR's really fit the term "gun plumber".

With a decent set of tools and a decent working knowledge, it's largely plug and play. Some plumbing can be done using pre-assembled bits. Others are scratch built. They're expensive meccano sets.

Not all plumbers are equal and not all components are the same quality. Results can vary.

The fitting, polishing, handwork, etc. associated with gunsmithing isn't typically there though.

:cool:

militarymoron
10-05-09, 16:13
The difference between the usage of the terms "build" and "assemble" as regards to an AR only mean anything to those who feel the need to make such a distinction.

I wouldn't worry about using the "proper" term. ;)

i hereby suggest a new terms to describe self assembled AR 'builds':

'assembuilt' and 'assembuild'.
usage: "i assembuilt my AR, so it's called an 'assembuild'". :D

or, 'assbuilt' or 'assbuild', as in "check out my new SPR assbuild, dude. i'm just waitin' for the scope to finish it. yeah, i got all the tools at home so i assbuilt it myself in the garage" :p

donnyblaze1
10-05-09, 17:16
yeah, i got all the tools at home so i assbuilt it myself in the garage" :p
Priceless :D

Collegefour
10-06-09, 04:51
Ok. I think I get it. I like the computer analogy, Julius, as I build my own computers too. :)

culannmac
10-06-09, 09:02
My apologies, for a slight hijack of the thread.

I'm a newbie and I just bought a 6920. I have built computers for years though, never have owned a brand name.

Is building an AR truly "plug-n-play"? Say I decide to throw a BCM complete rifle length upper on my colt? Is it just attach and run it, or do I have to use special tools to adjust stuff? I see terms like "headspace" and I think, this is more like working on a car.

I'm not that mechanically skilled.

militarymoron
10-06-09, 09:22
Say I decide to throw a BCM complete rifle length upper on my colt? Is it just attach and run it.
essentially, yes. attach it and run it.

Safetyhit
10-06-09, 09:58
I'm not that mechanically skilled.

That's ok, few things could be easier. Two pins and off you go. No tools required.

CGoodwin
10-06-09, 10:04
On the other hand, building an AR from the base parts, including the LPK rather than assembling components is a GREAT learning experience for maintaining your rifle. If you put that spring in the first time, you already know what to do when you need to fix it. Nothing worse than pulling something apart to try to fix it and seeing all these unfamiliar parts flying off the bench!

Sam
10-06-09, 13:25
I prefer to use the term "assemble" when I put my SPR together.

NavDoc
10-06-09, 18:53

or, 'assbuilt' or 'assbuild', as in "check out my new SPR assbuild, dude. i'm just waitin' for the scope to finish it. yeah, i got all the tools at home so i assbuilt it myself in the garage" :p

AWESOME!

Beat Trash
10-07-09, 18:17

If you did all of the above, and the rifle functions, you built a good AR.

If you did all of the above and it does not function, some other SOB screw up building the upper, lower, or whatever is causing the gun to malfunction!

Seriously, I think it only really matters to you. If you are "building an AR" because you can and because you enjoy taking a box full of parts and creating a quality AR for your usage then great. If you intention is to obtain a quality AR at the lowest cost to you, then buying your choice of upper, lower and BCG may be the cheapest route.

Even if I were to assemble an AR from parts, starting with a totally stripped upper and lower, I would not consider myself a Gunsmith. It's more like Lego sets for grownups.

The main advantage to me personally for assembling an AR from stripped upper and lower receivers (which I plan on doing next spring) is that learning how to do so would give me a much better working knowledge on how the AR system functions, as well as the peace of mind that I could replace any worn or damaged parts on my guns.

ra2bach
10-08-09, 09:22

"assbuilt"... yeah, I've seen some assbuilt guns before... :D

I don't consider it a "build" unless it includes processes, special knowledge, or special tools beyond normal field or detail stripping.

I believe I've taken my guns apart into more pieces just to clean them, and then put them back together, than a lot of people who simply buy an upper and lower and various sub assemblies and, as Grant says, push in the pins to connect them.

after all, this isn't rocket surgery...