PDA

View Full Version : Gun goes off by itself! Shoots 3

bongogator
10-05-09, 11:25
http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/9mm-malfunctions-at-lakeland-gun-range-shoots-three-people/1041591

WOW! Can't imagine what I would have done but hit the ground.

Mac5.56
10-05-09, 11:31
wonder what the malfunction was?

Littlelebowski
10-05-09, 11:36
wonder what the malfunction was?

It was a Jennings......

RogerinTPA
10-05-09, 11:40
Heard that via email this morning. The weapon is a POS Jennings pistol which may have been illegally modified.

four
10-05-09, 12:22
I'm terribly curious about how many bullets came out in the "sprewing bullets" part of that event.

with nothing to recoil against I cant imagine it managed to cycle correctly.

Littlelebowski
10-05-09, 12:32
I imagine that someone couldn't hold onto it as it went full auto.

DJK
10-05-09, 12:58
I'm starting to think about allocating funds for a vest for range use.

Erik 1
10-05-09, 13:06
Is the chain of events as described really possible? The story says the gun went off by itself while nobody was touching it.

Littlelebowski
10-05-09, 13:10
Is the chain of events as described really possible? The story says the gun went off by itself while nobody was touching it.

Oh sure. Just like all of those completely justified lawsuits in which cops sued Glock for the gun just "going off by itself."

nutnless220
10-05-09, 13:11
No surprises here.

1) Jenning's are not reliable.

2) Everyone shot with a 9 mm lived.

And you are right DJK, a vest would be a great idea on a public range. Or a plate carrier.

The real BS is where they say their son brought the weapon back from Iraq.

"Sherri Thourot said her son, 29-year-old Jeremy, brought the 9mm back to the United States after one of his tours in Iraq with the Navy. He gave it to them this summer."

Littlelebowski
10-05-09, 13:13
No surprises here.

Yup, those 9mms are completely ineffective. Now if it had been a magical death ray .45.....

RogerinTPA
10-05-09, 13:26
No surprises here.

And you are right DJK, a vest would be a great idea on a public range. Or a plate carrier.

The real BS is where they say their son brought the weapon back from Iraq.

"Sherri Thourot said her son, 29-year-old Jeremy, brought the 9mm back to the United States after one of his tours in Iraq with the Navy. He gave it to them this summer."

I thought battlefield pickups being sent back to the U.S. was a No Go, unless the policy changed.

Littlelebowski
10-05-09, 13:30
I thought battlefield pickups being sent back to the U.S. was a No Go, unless the policy changed.

Exactly right. Which if this story is true, ruins her kid's military career and she ain't too bright for advertising said fact.

All that being said, I doubt it's a battlefield pickup.

Dave Berryhill
10-05-09, 13:41

If you picked up a Jennings, wouldn't you throw it back down? :D

Erik 1
10-05-09, 13:46
Seriously, is there any circumstance under which the story, as told, could be true?

ZDL
10-05-09, 14:17

Safetyhit
10-05-09, 14:33
No surprises here...Everyone shot with a 9 mm lived.

Yes, except for the many that died.

RogerinTPA
10-05-09, 14:42
If you picked up a Jennings, wouldn't you throw it back down? :D

Personally, I would have just kicked it out of the way. But the Sailor may have not been as gun savvy as the folks on this board. True be told, the whole story is a crock of shit and purely a CYA move.

obucina
10-05-09, 14:48
me thinks this may qualify as a darwin award finalist.

ToddG
10-05-09, 16:39
No surprises here.

Yeah. A .45 to the arm or shoulder (the injuries reported) would have probably killed them, their kids, their neighbors, and the cockroaches living under their sink.

Mac5.56
10-05-09, 17:27
Oh sure. Just like all of those completely justified lawsuits in which cops sued Glock for the gun just "going off by itself."

This is what I'm thinking. I'm thinking it was a modified pistol that someone lost control of.

LockenLoad
10-05-09, 17:45
Yup, those 9mms are completely ineffective. Now if it had been a magical death ray .45.....

it would have cut them in half like a light saber :eek:

goodoleboy
10-05-09, 19:02
[QUOTE=nutnless220;467172]No surprises here.

Thank you!!! This lends support to my motto that all self-defense handgun calibers should start with a .4

landrvrnut22
10-05-09, 19:16
Since no one has said it, this could have been avoided had the 3 rules of firearms been followed.

Rule #1 ALWAYS KEEP THE GUN POINTED IN A SAFE DIRECTION

Rule #2 ALWAYS KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO SHOOT

Rule #3 ALWAYS KEEP THE FIREARM UNLOADED UNTIL READY TO USE

They violated rules 1 and 3. The gun may have gone off buy itself, but had it been unloaded and pointed downrange, it never would have happened.

See also: Rules for using and storing. Specifically: MAKE SURE THE GUN IS SAFE TO OPERATE

http://www.nrahq.org/education/guide.asp

Littlelebowski
10-05-09, 19:22
[QUOTE=nutnless220;467172]No surprises here.

Thank you!!! This lends support to my motto that all self-defense handgun calibers should start with a .4

Like I said about that magic death ray .45.... Also Todd observed that if a person had been hit in the arm with a .45 instead of a 9mm like it happened, they definitely would be deceased now.

SWATcop556
10-05-09, 19:53

:rolleyes: Showed your ass there.

nutnless220
10-05-09, 19:55
Yes, except for the many that died.

Who died that was shot with the Jennings in this story that was posted?

In this story, everyone who was shot with a nine mm lived.

If you are going to quote me, please do so in context.

I'm not trying to start a caliber vs caliber war or making outragous claims for the 45 ACP. But inside of normal handgun distances (25 yards or less), given the same shot placement,
I believe the 45 will do more damage and or, be more lethal than the 9mm. There are lots of people that have been killed by 22's, 32's, 38's, 380's, 9mm's etc.
But as a general rule, I would bring the biggest weapon that I can control and carry to an armed encounter. YMMV;)

Littlelebowski
10-05-09, 19:58
Yup, a .45 would have torn that guy's arm off.

nutnless220
10-05-09, 19:59
:rolleyes: Showed your ass there.

Really ?

How is it that some of you express your opinions and I express my opinion, and yet I'm the one showing my ass?

M4tographer
10-05-09, 20:01
Yup, a .45 would have torn that guy's arm off.

I don't even want to think of what an .88 Magnum would have done.

ZDL
10-05-09, 20:07

FromMyColdDeadHand
10-05-09, 20:11
When I lived in St. Louis, I heard of people being shot in Jennings, but not by a Jennings.

RogerinTPA
10-05-09, 20:14
Who died that was shot with the Jennings in this story that was posted?

In this story, everyone who was shot with a nine mm lived.

If you are going to quote me, please do so in context.

I'm not trying to start a caliber vs caliber war or making outragous claims for the 45 ACP. But inside of normal handgun distances (25 yards or less), given the same shot placement,
I believe the 45 will do more damage and or, be more lethal than the 9mm. There are lots of people that have been killed by 22's, 32's, 38's, 380's, 9mm's etc.
But as a general rule, I would bring the biggest weapon that I can control and carry to an armed encounter. YMMV;)

Not to presume to speak for Safetyhit, but I believe he was referring to the 10's of thousands, who have been killed with that round since it's inception.

bnanaphone
10-05-09, 20:19
When I lived in St. Louis, I heard of people being shot in Jennings, but not by a Jennings.

Now that is funny! I am in St. Louis and, yes, people are STILL being shot in Jennings.

nutnless220
10-05-09, 20:39
Doesn't matter what you believe. And no, our mileage will not vary in this argument. Good luck.

(There is an entire section of this forum dedicated to ballistics. Check it out.)

But our mileage does vary. It obviously isn't the same. Which is what varies means.

And you are certainly right, it doesn't matter what I believe. Unless you are me. Then it matters a great deal. Of course the same is true for you also, to someone other than your self, your opinion matters little. Sorry if that sound uncivil, but it is a little more polite than just saying " Doesn't matter what you believe"

I am aware that there is a section of this forum dedicated to ballistics.
Thank you for wishing me good luck.

Iraqgunz
10-05-09, 20:39
We aren't going to have a penis measuring contest here. Nor are we going to debate which caliber is the best. Stick to the dubious story or this thing will get trashed.

RogerinTPA
10-05-09, 20:46
Since no one has said it, this could have been avoided had the 3 rules of firearms been followed.

Rule #1 ALWAYS KEEP THE GUN POINTED IN A SAFE DIRECTION

Rule #2 ALWAYS KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO SHOOT

Rule #3 ALWAYS KEEP THE FIREARM UNLOADED UNTIL READY TO USE

They violated rules 1 and 3. The gun may have gone off buy itself, but had it been unloaded and pointed downrange, it never would have happened.

See also: Rules for using and storing. Specifically: MAKE SURE THE GUN IS SAFE TO OPERATE

http://www.nrahq.org/education/guide.asp

There are 4 rules and some of yours are new ones on me. The ones most of us follow are:

1. All weapons are loaded. (Until you personally clear the weapon)
2. Never point your weapon at anything you are not willing to kill or destroy.
(Includes being muzzle aware at all times. No unintentional flagging)
3. Keep your finger off the trigger until you have your sights on the target.
(Keeping your finger straight and outside the trigger guard)
4. Be sure of your target's background and your foreground. The latter applying to shooting around barriers where your sight will be on target, but your muzzle may not be clearing the barrier.

The difference being, we regularly train and maneuver, within close proximity to each other, with loaded weapons, often slung and loaded, with safeties on, fingers off the trigger, while in between relays.

landrvrnut22
10-05-09, 21:08
They're not my rules, they are the NRA's. See the link I posted.

Littlelebowski
10-05-09, 21:41
I'm betting a novice shooter had a runaway gun.

Gentoo
10-05-09, 23:32
Total BS.

FromMyColdDeadHand
10-05-09, 23:42
Now that is funny! I am in St. Louis and, yes, people are STILL being shot in Jennings.

Had a buddy whose dad was a detective up in "Knife" County. Great Stories.

Bubba FAL
10-06-09, 00:57
Yep, the "gun just went off" just like the SUVs that run amok and kill people.
There is a human element at work in both scenarios.

I cringe every time I read or hear about a ND occurring and the story is that "I was cleaning it and it just went off". BS! Just once, I would like to see someone man up and confess that they were playing around with a loaded firearm and had a negligent discharge. Step 1 in gun cleaning is to open the action and ensure the firearm is unloaded (and no, that doesn't mean point it at your self/buddy/child/pet and pull the trigger).

Yes, a runaway can happen and it can be disconcerting, but if you keep the firearm pointed downrange, little collateral damage will result. If time allows, simply hitting the mag release will stop a runaway (probably won't have time if it's a 1911 tho').

perna
10-06-09, 01:03
Well according to the story, no one was holding it and it started firing. Unless there is video we will probably never know what actually happened.

sandman99and9
10-06-09, 10:20
I don't even want to think of what an .88 Magnum would have done.

It shoots through schools..............lol
Anyone know what movie that is from ??

s.m.

NavDoc
10-06-09, 15:48
It shoots through schools..............lol
Anyone know what movie that is from ??

s.m.

Johnny Dangerously!

sandman99and9
10-06-09, 22:29
Ding,ding,ding, we have a winner !!
You get a cookie. Old movie but still funny. Joe Piscopo and his .88 magnum....lol

S.M.