PDA

View Full Version : 'Armed Intruder' on USF campus

BAC
10-05-09, 14:59
Bay News 9 link (http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2009/10/5/529567.html?title=Armed%20intruder%20reported%20on%20USF%27s%20Tampa%20campus&cid=rss)

HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY (Bay News 9) -- Three law enforcement agencies are searching for a reported armed man on the University of South Florida's Tampa campus.

School police initially received a call from the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office about a man armed with a bomb and gun near the library, according to USF PD spokesperson Meg Ross. The call came in from off-campus.

Campus police, Tampa police, and the HCSO responded to the scene.

A USF student named Melissa was on the 5th floor of the library when she heard the warning over a loud speaker. A warning was also sent out via text message.

"They (police) just started yelling at us to get down on the ground. They had guns," said Melissa, who evacuated to a friend's dorm. "They made us leave and told us to get out as quick as possible."

A USF student named Ariel was on the 4th floor of the library at the time.

"As I was leaving, I heard (police) yelling run, run, run," said Ariel, who evacuated to a nearby building.

Police are checking into reports of a possible suspect in the area of parking and transportation services.

First off, good on USF for having a very audible alarm system, very quick response, and very good communication via text messages with students.

Secondly, the sound of helicopters is weirdly comforting. Even if half of the ones above campus right now are from news agencies.

When the alarm first sounded, it was one loud sunovabitch and got everyone's attention. The problem is that nobody had the slightest clue what it meant. It wasn't until, oh, two minutes of obnoxious alarming later that the loudspeakers finally said "Emergency: armed intruder on campus. Get inside immediately. Lock doors. Emergency." Of the roughly hundred people in the immediate vicinity, and about two hundred more in the large courtyard I was talking through, not a single student deviated from their normal paths, and no sense of urgency existed.

Latest text message: "White male subject seen in the Cooper Hall" [near library] "area in black tank top, cowboy hat, carrying black puppy and a large hunting knife - officers enroute."

Problems:
Professors didn't know what was going on; this was a between-classes time for most of the campus, so most instructors couldn't get into their rooms.
Most professors did not know where to guide their locked-out students.
Most areas professors are guiding their students to are fairly easy-access.
Opposite corners of campus are busy with cops right now, and due to another potential intruder on the Bull Runner (campus bus system) even the transportation center is locked down, which is locking down all vehicles that could be used to maybe move students off campus.

I give USF credit for trying, but so far I haven't got the warm and fuzzies from anything but the speed of the text message warnings and officer response. The school itself doesn't seem to know what to do.

-B

TMMT
10-05-09, 15:08
How did it go from armed with a bomb and gun to carrying a puppy and a knife? :confused::confused::confused:

BAC
10-05-09, 15:29
CNN update (http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/10/05/south.florida.intruder/index.html)

1 in custody after report of armed intruder on South Florida campus

(CNN) -- One person was in custody Monday following a report of an armed intruder on the University of South Florida campus in Tampa, Florida, police said.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/CRIME/10/05/south.florida.intruder/art.armed.intruder.wfla.jpg

USF police have asked the Tampa police's bomb team to respond to the campus regarding the belongings of the person in custody, said USF police Lt. Meg Ross. No one was hurt and no shots were fired, she said.

"We have someone we think may have been involved, but we have to investigate fully," Ross told CNN.

"We have not looked in his backpack," she said. "We have the bomb squad on their way to look at that."

Police received a report that a person armed with a bomb and a gun was near the university's library. Authorities later received a report of a subject on a bus near the university's parking and transportation services, Ross said.

"We checked the area at the library, did not locate him, but then received a subsequent report of a subject on a bus," she said.

Text messages were sent to 13,000 employees and 45,000 students to warn them. Emergency sirens on campus also were activated, officials said.

Remember, the report was on multiple armed intruders, so...

-B

NinjaMedic
10-05-09, 15:30
The same way that "dead battery in the parking lot" becomes "dead body in the parking lot" over the airport radio system. Sends a lot of people needlessly scurrying around for someone who left their headlights on lol.

BAC
10-05-09, 15:32
We just got an all-clear, but my next class is in the area being investigated. So far that class doesn't look canceled. :D

-B

BAC
10-05-09, 15:58
So, uh, if y'all were waiting for the punchline... here it is.

That kid with the puppy and a large hunting knife? Yeah, he owned the puppy... was carrying it around on a skateboard... and the that 'hunting knife' was a 2-inch-blade folder. :eek:

Man, my school wins a few games and all craziness breaks loose. Go Bulls. :rolleyes:

-B

tinman44
10-05-09, 19:45
so it wasnt the suspicious looking black guy, interesting. that dude has a lawsuit maybe? i mean did someone finger him?

FromMyColdDeadHand
10-05-09, 19:51
How did they see a 2 inch blade??? DId they just start frisking people and found it?

HES
10-05-09, 20:59
So, uh, if y'all were waiting for the punchline... here it is.

That kid with the puppy and a large hunting knife? Yeah, he owned the puppy... was carrying it around on a skateboard... and the that 'hunting knife' was a 2-inch-blade folder. :eek:

Man, my school wins a few games and all craziness breaks loose. Go Bulls. :rolleyes:

-B
Then again you go to school in suit case city, so the original idea may have not been too out of line :D

ZGXtreme
10-05-09, 21:26
As a former campus cop for a rather large division I university it is good to hear that the warnings got out in a timely manner. As to your concerns... I used to always tell people that it isn't like locking down a high school or middle school. When dealing with some place the size of many towns or even cities you can try your best but it just isn't going to happen. Again though, sounds like USFPD did a good job.

BAC
10-05-09, 21:31
Then again you go to school in suit case city, so the original idea may have not been too out of line :D

That's what I said when I first got the text. http://www.lightfighter.net/smilie/24.gif

FromMyColdDeadHand, lots of people, myself included, carry pocket knives clipped to our pockets. Perfectly legal and down here almost nobody thinks twice about it. Hell, when we saw the Facebook picture of the kid in question, a few people immediately looked down at my knife with knowing grins. Either one of those rare few got spooked, or someone didn't like the kid.

-B

Mac5.56
10-05-09, 23:26
I'll never forget the time an "armed intruder" was on the University of Oregon campus when I went there. I was a lead RA at the time (paid for my housing). Someone "saw a guy with a gun in a dorm".

Long story short I lost my promotion because prior to everyone learning the guy had an airsoft gun I got in an argument with the director of housing, and the sergeant of the campus police because they evacuated all of the people in three dorms, and placed them in a walled corridor with buildings on both sides directly within an elevated field of fire from the dorm building in question (oh and within 150 yards). There were about 350 students milling around.

Glad it was an airsoft.