PDA

View Full Version : 450 Mayors Petition Obama To Adopt Broad Gun Reform

JohnN
10-05-09, 15:31
Mayor Bloomberg is at it again. If your mayor is listed you need to send an email informing him of Bloombergs' true agenda not just benign reform. Worked for me, I sent a respectful email to my Mayor and within a month he was off the list. I am sure he got many similar emails informing him of the shell game Bloomberg is running and decided it wasn't worth it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/10/02/AR2009100205150.html

http://www.mayorsagainstillegalguns.org/html/members/members.shtml

SW-Shooter
10-05-09, 15:40
Well your letter obviously worked, care to share a copy? I'd like to email a modified copy to the mayor of Hurst Texas, the only Texas mayor on the list.:(

Mayor Bloomberg is at it again. If your mayor is listed you need to send an email informing him of Bloombergs' true agenda not just benign reform. Worked for me, I sent a respectful email to my Mayor and within a month he was off the list. I am sure he got many similar emails informing him of the shell game Bloomberg is running and decided it wasn't worth it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/10/02/AR2009100205150.html

http://www.mayorsagainstillegalguns.org/html/members/members.shtml

perna
10-05-09, 16:21
Mayor of Savannah, Ga is on the list, big shock. :rolleyes:

Gentoo
10-05-09, 19:13
Only one from TX.

gogetal3
10-05-09, 21:12
I was rolling my eyes scrolling passed the CA mayors until I came to my great state of FL. Then my eyes became real wide!!! What is this great state coming to?

perna
10-05-09, 21:22
I have no problem with them wanting to crack down on ILLEGAL gun sales and making sure dealers are doing the right things. I do have a problem with them tracking how many guns I buy and that information being shared with every LE agency there is.

Ga Shooter
10-05-09, 21:27
Perna I live in Chatham County so my letter will do no good to Otis do you live in the city? Savannah is so screwed up!

Rider79
10-05-09, 21:39
Strange, not one mayor from Nevada on the list. That lone mayor from Texas needs to wake up though.

On the other hand, lots of mayors on the list from PA, my home state. Gonna bet that the majority of them have no clue what Bloomberg's agenda really is.

monkeywrench
10-05-09, 21:40
No mayor on the list from my state!!:D:D:D:D:D:D

Littlelebowski
10-05-09, 21:43
Brilliant. Extra "hidden" serial numbers on each gun AND another agency to deal with illegal firearms.

Abraxas
10-05-09, 21:55
Why have we let so many ignorant, or corrupt, people in to positions of authority?

perna
10-05-09, 22:14
Yes I live in the city. Just because you do not live in the city a letter is still acceptable since what he is standing behind effects you (I would leave out the part that you dont live in the city though). The city is screwed up, going from Floyd to Otis I am scared to see what will come next.

LMTRocks
10-05-09, 22:28
Mr. Jerry Abramson of Louisville KY (those darn cards....) is also Gov. Beshear's pick for new running-mate. Interested to see what he'll try to do in office.

Sam
10-06-09, 06:26
I received the notice from the NRA about my mayor being on that list, I written him several weeks ago, he didn't care to respond.

sandman99and9
10-06-09, 10:06
Well crap, there is orlando's own buddy dyer on the list. Hey John, you got a copy of that letter? Looks like I will need to send one to ol' Buddy

s.m.

JackOSU
10-06-09, 11:13
My Mayor in Columbus is a POS and has brought this city to ruins in the past 10 years, but keeps getting elected by sheeple. We raise taxes with fear mongering of losing police and fire, but have millions to spend on parks downtown that no one, but criminals will use and destroy. We build a mall downtown that has failed miserably 20 years ago.

Now that it's empty we want to pay millions to tear it down and millions more to put up a park or apartment buildings. Bad idea after another here! The best part is his alcoholic wife who doctored her own time sheets at her cushy job and got caught as well as DUI charges etc. Funny how she didnt' spend any time in jail etc. If that were one of us joe citizens we'd be in teh slammer for quite awhile and our lives ruined financially.

Stepping down from my soapbox now...I would like to see any letters folks might have on hand. I'd like to at least send to the lady here in Dublin.

JohnN
10-06-09, 15:23
Here is my correspondence with the Mayor, hopefully not too jumbled and understandable.

Well crap, there is orlando's own buddy dyer on the list. Hey John, you got a copy of that letter? Looks like I will need to send one to ol' Buddy

s.m.

Subject: Bloomberg's Anti-Gun Mayors Coalition

February 25, 2007

The Honorable Mayor James Brainard

One Civic Square

Carmel, IN 46032

Dear Mayor Brainard;

As a resident of Carmel, I strongly urge you to reconsider your decision to join Mayor Bloomberg’s latest anti-gun "Mayors Against Illegal Guns" coalition, and remove yourself as a member.

Mayor Bloomberg and his coalition allies have misrepresented themselves to the mayors of America and its citizens. This effort is simply another attempt to shift blame for violent crime from criminals to law-abiding gun owners. This is gun control, not crime prevention.

Mr. Bloomberg’s tactics do not target illegal guns, but rather honest citizens and lawful dealers, essentially criminalizing all gun ownership. This coalition makes no distinction whatsoever between law-abiding gun owners and violent criminals.

Instead of being a part of a misguided coalition and advocating attacks against law-abiding gun owners, I ask you to direct your efforts towards strict enforcement of existing laws in our own city to ensure both our safety and civil rights.

Respectfully,

John Nelson

Subject: RE: Bloomberg's Anti-Gun Mayors Coalition

John,

Thank you for writing. When I joined the New York mayors coalition it was represented as an effort to obtain more federal money for enforcement of existing laws to get guns out of the hands of ALREADY CONVICTED CRIMINALS..

I agree with getting guns out of the hands of convicted criminals and that was the reason I joined. If we were better able to do that I believe the pressure from liberals trying to take guns away from law-abiding citizens would lessen.

I have talked with others who have concerns with Mayor Bloomberg's coalition and reread their web page and understand why you and some others are concerned.

I promised the Bloomberg people an opportunity to convince me otherwise but based on what appears to be their agenda--which wasn't initially disclosed-- would anticipate dropping out of their coalition.

Feel free to contact me anytime.

Jim Brainard

Subject: Re: Bloomberg's Anti-Gun Mayors Coalition

Mayor Brainard,

First off, thank you for your reply. However your reply is dated March 5th and I just checked the Bloomberg Anti-Gun Mayors Coalition website and noticed your name still appears on their roster. Perhaps this is an oversite but I got the distinct impression that you were going to remove yourself from this organization. Please advise.

Regards,
John Nelson

Attached is the resignation letter. I had procrastinated writing the letter then the Tihart Amendment issue came up and it became very easy.....

Jim

Mr. William Swenson
Coalition of Mayors Against Illegal Guns
1 Center Street, 10th Floor
New York, Ny 10007

Mr Swenson:

This letter formally notifies the coalition of my resignation. While I agree with the goal of getting guns out of the hands of convicted felons, I am concerned about the tactics being used in a various cities by coalition members.

Please immediately remove my name as a member of the coalition.

Respectfully,

Jim Brainard
Mayor
Carmel, Indiana

JackOSU
10-06-09, 18:25
Well done John.. I have letters going out to my local Mayors. Thanks for the info on this!

Blowby
10-06-09, 22:17
Nice Job!

I used your letter as a template to get the fire under my Mayor in Colorado.

Mayor John Hickenlooper,

As a resident of Boulder, CO. I strongly disagree with and urge you to reconsider your decision to join Mayor Bloomberg’s latest anti-gun "Mayors Against Illegal Guns" coalition, and please remove yourself as a member. Mayor Bloomberg and his coalition allies have misrepresented themselves to the mayors of America and its citizens. This effort is simply not focusing on the criminals committing the crime but on all legal gun owners who have followed the federal and state requirements to own guns legally.
This is gun control, not crime prevention.

Mr. Bloomberg’s direction is punishing, not the criminal but the law abiding citizen, dealers or anyone who owns guns in a legal manner. Please take this as a constructive comment and lead the state toward safe and legal gun ownership for those who chose to purchase and own fire arms in the state of Colorado.

Respectfully from a minority and small business owner,

Mike Ontiveros

ghost762
10-06-09, 23:34
No one on the list form Idaho. I guess I'm moving back.:D Washington on the other hand.

Mac5.56
10-07-09, 00:24
Does the reform consist of legalizing and heavily taxing the distribution of drugs in the United States? If not, then it wont do anything to stop gun violence.

Yea for idiots petitioning the president to actively support the creation of an even larger and more violent black market!

variablebinary
10-07-09, 00:34
0 in Utah :D

Mac5.56
10-07-09, 00:42
None in WY either. Does that surprise you?

Seems like PA, NJ, NY, OH, FL are the winners regarding number of mayors that support it. Interesting, all of them have high concentrations of Urban areas, and massive problems with drug trade.

variablebinary
10-07-09, 00:56
None in WY either. Does that surprise you?

Seems like PA, NJ, NY, OH, FL are the winners regarding number of mayors that support it. Interesting, all of them have high concentrations of Urban areas, and massive problems with drug trade.

Sadly, states with big electorates always seem to be the ones pushing for gun control.

Mac5.56
10-07-09, 01:37
Sadly, states with big electorates always seem to be the ones pushing for gun control.

Maybe that is because population density results in increased crime, especially when you have a thriving black market.

Just a thought.

woodandsteel
10-07-09, 04:57
#@%$ !!!! My mayor is on there. Of course she is a total liberal. And a senile one at that. She is not running again for re-election this November. Hopefully the guy I am supporting will be able to get my town off that list.

rjacobs
10-07-09, 08:59
Letter sent to the Mayor of St. Louis, even though he's not technically my mayor, he is the closest one to me in Missouri.

jimmyhots
10-07-09, 12:03
JohnN,

Thanks for posting this. I contacted my mayor and am being asked what specific items in the mayors against illegal guns agenda I am in opposition with. I'll take a detailed look at their agenda but if any of you want to weigh in here with your views stating specifically what you are against in this agenda it would be welcomed.

Jimmy

CarlosDJackal
10-07-09, 12:12
and the creation of a federal interstate firearms trafficking unit.

Isn't this what the BATFE is supposed to be for? What a freaking dickhead!! :rolleyes:

Did you see the number of mayors from FL and PA who jumped on this band wagon? That's disappointing.

Shane1
10-07-09, 12:14
Shirley Franklin..imagine that. :D

FlyAndFight
10-07-09, 14:59
Thanks for the sample letter, JohnN.

I sent an email out to my pathetic county mayor this morning, using your format.

The bandwagon mentality is simply a feel-good, hey-look-what-I'm-doing-against-"crime" type of crock. Meanwhile, my particular mayor will be laying off over 1700 county employees due to the poor economy, all the while giving HUGE raises to his small group of cronies... :mad:

rhewitt
10-07-09, 18:49
I am really surprised that the mayor from North Las Vegas isn't on there. This so called suburb is like a little communist country.

PRGGodfather
10-07-09, 19:08
Bloomberg is a colostomy bag, since he is so FOS. His brethren vermin mayors are douches.