PDA

View Full Version : Origin Question: Caliber Machismo?

Mac5.56
10-05-09, 17:34
Something has always bugged me about firearms and I thought I would pose it to this board, especially since the predominant round being discussed is the sissy 5.56... ;) (please read sarcasm into that statement).

I grew up shooting a 30.30 and a .270 my entire life. I have watched amazing kill shots happen with the .270. Of course I shot plenty of 30.06 and other calibers too, but where I came from these were the only real man calibers for anything: 30.06, 308, 45 Colt. Everything else was pansy unless it was a magnum.

I still come up against this. Certain people railing against my AR because it's 5.56, or that my deer rifle is a 30.30.

What the hell is the origin of this machismo? Any thoughts? Also what are some of the other calibers you watch get made fun of, that you know are perfectly capable of doing their job?

CGoodwin
10-05-09, 17:44
I run into the same issue with friends and fellow shooting club members over my preference for 9mm over .45 ACP. Being proficient with ANY caliber is, of course, better than none. I have also never understood the whole "stopping power" versus shot placement arguement. It would be overly simplistic to label large caliber shooters as guilty of virtual penis envy or making up for a lack of maksmanship, but who knows?

OTOH, I enjoy hog shooting and have noticed that the AR15 is not the ideal platform for this activity. I have to be very careful with shot placement on a smaller than man-size target at night at ranges of 80-150 yards using a NVD. My brother-in-law, shooting his 30-06 can knock them down with a shot to the hip or shoulder, then finish them off with a round to the head while they thrash on the ground.

JStor
10-05-09, 19:01
I believe the origin is...don't take offense anyone...youthfulness. When we are young and full of bravado, the machismo must be shown. We think we know it all...anybody have any teenagers? As we mature, we find that gem called wisdom. Thrown into the mix is personal preference.

As an example, I grew up with "magnumitus" disease and thought they were the only truly useful cartridges. I loved .44 Magnum revolvers. For rifles it was .300 Mags and .375 Mags...even had a .458 Mag for a while. I adored the .220 Swift because it outran everything else in the varmint category. Top speed and top power was the thing, and everything else was not even worthy of attention. I skoffed at the .308 Winchester...now one of my favorite cartridges. It is just that power levels get tempered with age. And yes, power has its uses in the right applications.

Business_Casual
10-05-09, 19:15
Caliber wars are not welcome.

M_P

QuickStrike
10-05-09, 20:19
It's not totally unreasonable. Usually bigger cartridges provide a little bit more performance/margin of error.

There is a reason why the 375 H&H or 9.3x62 is the minimum for hunting some African game...

Honu
10-05-09, 23:47
I like watching MMA :)

to me keeps it real that the huge muscle bound dude is not always that tough to the guy that looks like a normal guy :)

it kinda relates really

Bubba FAL
10-06-09, 00:31
I tend to agree, it seems to be a symptom of youthful bravado. The wisdom that (usually) comes with time tends to mitigate the bravado. One learns it's not so important what you have as it is knowing how to use it.

Kinda like the old saying, "beware the man with only one rifle, he probably knows how to use it".