PDA

View Full Version : My Son is my hero

HES
10-05-09, 21:09
Last night (Saturday the 3rd of October) as my son and I were returning from a cub scout camping event he and I came upon the scene of a horrific traffic accident (LINK (http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/oct/04/pair-crashes-pasco-leaves-1-dead-9-injured/news-pasco/)) on state road 52. When I got out to render assistance and 1st aid my son had, unknowingly to me, followed me to the scene of the accident to assist as well. When I finally realized he was following me I stopped him and had another adult on the scene keep him at a safe distance while I rendered aid to one of the victims. He was kept far enough away to see much of anything other than the one burning vehicle and the other crumpled one and the cries of the trapped children. At one point I realized that I needed to wash off the victim I was working on to see where he was bleeding from. Since I had plenty of water in my truck from camping I told another adult to go to my son, have him guide her to my truck, and to get some canteens. Once my instructions were relayed to him, he took off at a sprint for my truck with the adult in tow. When they got to my truck they could not find the canteens. But he did remember that I had a 5 gallon water can in the bed. He told the adult to grab it while he went into the cab and grabbed some towels. He even remembered to lock my truck and keep the keys (this sequence of events were relayed to me by the adult, not him). They then ran back to me and he stopped where I had told him to earlier while the adult ran the water and towels the rest of the way to me. He kept his cool and used his initiative while so many other adults were acting in a hysterical manner. Were it not for his calmness, judgment, decision making and leadership abilities in a very stressful and traumatic environment I would have had a much harder time rendering aid to and keeping the victim alive. And they say that you dont learn anything in Scouts. Though he kept his cool at the time, the incident has affected him. He has had several nightmares within the past 24 hours and my wife and I are working with him to help him deal with the situation. I just thought you should know what an outstanding kid he is. I am proud of him right now!!

As for the victim I was working on, 21 year old male, both feet were about sheared off at the ankles, kept only in place by the barest threads of skin and muscle. Fractured hip, smashed face. Wasn't wearing his seat belt and was thrown clear. We had to move him because that burning truck was about to, and did, explode (though not like what happens in the movies). He picked that time to come out of shock. It was hell moving him and then trying to keep him immobilized while trying to keep him from choking on his own blood. He lived. His passenger, an 18yo girl lost her baby (8 months pregnant). She was wearing her seat belt and her injures were a lot less and she got out before the fire got too bad. In the other car a mother is dead, the father I don't know anything more about other than he lived. Their two little girls (about 9 or so) were pinned in place. The Town Car was crumpled so badly that the seats broke and pinned their legs. Thank God we were in a very rural area and one of the pickup trucks had a tow strap. They hooked the strap to the Town Car and dragged it away from the flaming truck. It took 5 life flights to evac the injured. Other than that I'm pissed off.

I'm pissed off that due to someones stupidity that my son is traumatized. I'm that it took fire / rescue who took 10 minutes to arrive on scene. I'm pissed off that there were only two EMTs on the truck, one of whom basically directed me in giving care, after they showed up. I had to move the guy on to a back board, immobilize his head, strap him in, lift him on to the road. I needed to be with my son once they arrived. Where is my EMT certification because goddammit I just earned it. I'm pissed off at the response time of the paramedics who took another 5 minutes to arrive. I'm pissed off at the people who just stood around before any help arrived. What the hell people, you see a horrific accident involving trapped kids and a burning vehicle that late at night on a deserted road, don't just call 911 and sit around with your thumb up your ass like some useless, gawking, sheepel. I'm pissed off at the mealy mouthed ****er who tried to argue with me that we shouldn't move the victim. I could tell by his tone that we was more concerned about getting sued than the guys health. At least he understood my command to move the guy after I explained that if we didn't move the victim, when the truck blew, we would all be in a world of shit. Finally, I'm pissed off at the ****er who I saved. It looks like he caused the whole damned thing and is a dirt bag with a rap sheet a mile long.

I'm very thankful to the lady who helped me so much and also told the mealy mouthed **** to get his ass in gear. She stayed with me almost the entire time. She helped me to keep talking to the victim, she helped me to keep him immobile as he was writhing and screaming in agony. She helped me wash the blood so we could assess his condition better. That lady was amazing and I never got her name. Then when she couldn't take any more she took my son to see the horses in the trailer that she was returning from a show with. I'm thankful to the 1st hysterical girl. At least she got out of her car and tried to help. She took care of my son. I'm thankful to the girl that helped get the water. Earlier when we moved the guy she had the job of supporting his legs. She discovered the nearly severed feet. She started to lose it, but I got her to hang in there long enough to move him to safety. I'm thankful to her for giving me the idea to check his pocket so I had some ID I could give the Sheriffs deputies and for giving me a name to call the victim by. I'm thankful to the Sheriffs deputies and highway patrol for taking control of a chaotic situation once they arrived and for not keeping me for so long. I'm thankful to the guys working on the Town Car who had the idea and the tools to drag it to safety. I'm thankful to the life flight crews from the area's multiple hospitals. They put those birds down on the two lane road in some damned tight quarters with power lines all around them and they did it with style and panache. I'm thankful to the ER and ICU staffs at the area hospitals. Everyone who was alive at the scene WILL live because of their efforts. Though I'm pissed at em, I do want to thank the EMT working with me for having faith in my abilities and for being a quick judge of character and I want to thank the paramedics for jumping on the scene like gang busters once they got there. Their professionalism saved EVERYONE who was alive once they arrived.

Most importantly I want to thank my son for being who he is and for making his dad feel 10 feet tall. He is my hero.

perna
10-05-09, 22:39
Im sure everyone there was glad you were there. As for your son you might think about finding him a professional to talk to, that can be totally traumatizing for adults so Im sure it can be far worse and longer lasting for children. Im sure your local LE/fire/medical agency's can refer you to who they use.

Rider
10-05-09, 23:00
Your son was not the only hero in your family that night, it sounds like you deserve the title too. Sorry to hear about his nightmares though. Outside help may be good for him, as the other poster said. Wish you all well.

BAC
10-05-09, 23:13
Good on your son, and good on you for keeping your cool enough to have him be helpful but not in the messy stuff.

There was a pretty bad wreck on SR 41 tonight, too, right about 6:30pm I'm guessing (emergency responders were well established by the time I drove by some 15 min later). Bad time of the year for drivers, it seems.

-B

Aray
10-05-09, 23:13
I hate to just tag on, but professional help is IMHO in order for your son. I have learned one thing, when it comes to dealing things outside of my skill set, professionals will get the best results quickest. While I am not calling into question your character or parenting skills (both were displayed as well above average at the absolute least in this situation), we all have to know when to ask for help. I think this may be one of those times.

On edit: I know an LEO in your area that may have contacts. Let me know via PM if you would like me to reach out to him.

Honu
10-05-09, 23:42
depending on what he saw ? get some help :)

I was a medic on a rig and can say getting a call and responding can take a few minutes ? we used to get bitched at how come you are not here quicker !!! well we got there quick as we could :)
dont know if thats the case ? but I do know many medics roll with two people a paramedic and a medic (emt you hope)

I can say I have things that wont leave my head similiar to the situation you had and still can visualize them in my head not to sound like bearing bad news but I never talk about it much as some of the other stuff over shadows it but I am and was a adult

I can say when I was a kid I raced MX big time and started young and saw some horrific stuff and it never bothered me as I was young enough it went away :) so hoping he is young enough that most of that wont stick in his head :)

glad you were there !!! glad to know there are others out there like yourself that will help others in need !!!

to those pricks who wont what if it was your wife or loved one !!!!

as to the guy who caused it ask most medics on rigs and they tell you sadly that is usually the case where they rip apart families by causing death etc..

one other thing I wont touch bloody people these days without gloves !! so nice to keep some handy for these reasons

a big two thumbs up to you and your son and best of wishes on hoping this will all come out as a great thing with no lasting memories :)

again my memories when I was young saw some stuff and no lasting memories sometimes the young ones can take it better as they dont have anything to relate it to yet ?

perna
10-06-09, 00:03
I agree that you cant fault the response time, especially since it was in the middle of no where. I worked for a fire department and we handled extrication for the entire county, our response times for the farthest ends of the county could be around 20 mins.

As for random citizens not helping, I wouldnt blame them either. Between lack of training and probably never having seen anything like that, fear of fire, fear of blood/disease, most times you are better off having them not being around or trying to help.

Honu
10-06-09, 03:01
As for random citizens not helping, I wouldnt blame them either. Between lack of training and probably never having seen anything like that, fear of fire, fear of blood/disease, most times you are better off having them not being around or trying to help.

I guess rethinking ? its kinda a tough one these days so I would hope that more would get training to handle at least basic things ?

also thinking those of us here are more likely to be prepared vs other forums ?

but I do agree you cant fault them I guess ?
in my perfect world though people would be more willing to help others than not ?

so good point about not wanting them to help :)

have heard this one before !!!!!!
OH yes I dragged them out of the car as I know how they blow up cause I saw that on TV !!!
my thought was to bad he had broken collar bones and he is in a real mess now !!!!

perna
10-06-09, 03:21
Well most people have no idea the "Good Samaritan" clause even exists, and with the sue happy society we live in that gets tested probably everyday in the courts.

Not everyone is cut out for public service. Public servants are the ones running in when everyone else is running out. It is a rare breed that wants to do it and are capable of doing it.

Honu
10-06-09, 05:25
so true :) Perna

Safetyhit
10-06-09, 09:51
That was some ride home...a sobering and sickening dose of reality. Sorry you and he had to bear witness to such horror.

How are the little girls that were trapped, any word on them?

HES
10-06-09, 10:02
Thanks guys. I have already gotten in touch with his school and they will have counselors available to him today (he didn't go in yesterday) and I have an appointment with a private counselor set up for today. Other than the trapped girls what I saw at the accident isn't really bothering me. I just can't take kids in harms way or in pain.

As for being pissed, I was pissed at the times, not the responders. It's the reality of being in the middle of no where, but just like when you are waiting for back up for anything, it's just aggravating.

About the folks just standing around...look I didnt do anything special. All I did was provide psych 1st aid, moved the guy when he was in danger, tried to make him as comfortable as I could, and kept him from hurting himself any more. Anything else he needed aid wise way above my pay grade. Anyone could have done it, or at least thats how I see it. That's why Im frustrated. But Perna brings up a good, impartial point. Im gonna have to chew on that for a bit.

I did find out that the kid I helped has a troubled past, but has been turning his life around over the past two years. I hope that's true and I'd like to believe it since it was the mother of the kids GF saying it and not the kids mother.

Tipy
10-06-09, 13:37
American Psyschiatric Definition

"A. The person has experienced, witnessed, or was confronted with an event or events that involved actual or threatend death or serious injury, or a threat to the physical integrity of self or others.
the person's response involved intense fear, helplessness or horror."

When the adrenaline dumps there can be actual damage to the amygdula gland in the brain, as a result of PTSD.

PTSD is not an emotion that can be shrugged off.
I have PTSD and did not know for thirty years. I'm not an expert, but at the least you and your son should get checked out by an expert in PTSD.
My mistake for thirty years was not knowing and when I did go for help I didn't have any PTSD experts to diagnose or help me.

This has become much more widely known in the last twenty years and expert help is available.
Thank god I have made some progress in the last ten years.
God bless you and your son for your service to those in need.
Semper Fidelis,
Terry

BAC
10-06-09, 16:40
K, quick clarification on PTSD: the kid has to recognize, and/or respond to, a traumatic event as a traumatic event. Blood might be everywhere, but if the kid kept his cool, and his dad did the same, and the adult his dad paired the kid with in the interim did the same, I strongly doubt much mental scarring occurred here, if any at all. Again good on HES for getting in touch with his school councilors (what an understated job they have...), regardless. As long as the memories your son has of the event is that he did a good thing that might have saved a life or lives, methink he'll be aight.

-B

RogerinTPA
10-06-09, 16:58
In a world when most people freeze and do nothing, you dove right in and saved lives.

Kudos to you and your son Hes.

Both of you are my heroes.:cool:

As for the dirt bag you saved, well, Carma's a motherf--ker.

AlphaTango23
10-06-09, 17:41
What a great son! He should get every badge the scouts have to offer for that rescue!

Tipy
10-06-09, 18:07
I believe that Dad has already posted that his son is having nightmares.
I wouldn't bet on schools having much experience with PTSD. Someone with expert experience on PTSD may be needed.
S/F
Terry

MSP "Sarge"
10-06-09, 22:15
Hey tell your son "Thank You" for stepping up when he needed to. Sounds like not many did but your son had your back. Get the little man some help. Spend a few days with him and talk to him. Let him know the world isn't perfect and that you respect him for what he did. Let him know how proud you are of him!

Motto Be Prepared! I earned my Eagle Scout Award in 1979

Gary

1859sharps
10-07-09, 00:46
sounds like you and your son did well. Depending on his age, he may be able to process this all on his own. keep an eye on him. if you had the brains to help those who needed it in the accident, you have the brains to know when to get help for your son and when to just let it be.

In the long run as he gets older, remembering his father stepping up and doing the right thing may have more of an impact then any emotional trauma he may be going through now. Time of course will tell.

as for your frustration.... it sucks that there is always a shortage of the right people when you need them, and an abundance of the wrong ones getting in the way :(

perna
10-07-09, 01:25
I think in case it is better to be safe than sorry, if it turns out he really didnt need to talk to someone, no harm done.

I can say from experience that I vividly remember EVERY accident scene I was ever on, every face of every victim, every body part I picked up off of the road. It seems it isnt something I will ever forget.

HES
10-11-09, 00:18
Sorry for the late update. This has been the week from hell. Yeah its been one week. One week and 2 1/2 hours. He seems to be doing better, but I can tell that something is brewing under the surface. We have another appointment with the counselor and I will ask for a referral to a counselor that specializes in PTSD. In the mean time we just had a estrogen free weekend (wife and daughters camping with the GS) and had a great time.

As for awards for my son....After I told the Scouts apparently news travels fast and a local paper called wanting to interview me about my son. So I agreed. I told them a cleaned up version of my OP, taking pains to mention everyone involved, making sure that they knew how proud of my son I was.

Next thing I know the article makes things out like I was superman and was there alone. What was published was a distortion of what I said. There was hardly any mention of anyone else at the scene, and there were plenty of folks there. I was livid. I dont deal well with accolades. I hated award ceremonies in the Army and I hated public recognition in the civilian world. Thats just me.

So I called the paper and let them know what I thought. Yeah they had good intentions from their perspective, and the 1st and 2nd editors changed things around, deleting this and that, but it just doesn't feel right and is eating at me.

Now the council has approached me to fill out all sorts of paperwork for my son and for me! I can help with the paperwork for my son but cant bring my self to do my paperwork.

Do I regret getting involved? No. I'd do it again in a New York Minute. Im just not happy with the aftermath.

Thanks for letting me vent.