PDA

View Full Version : Cases / bags on a budget for the car / camping

HES
10-05-09, 22:08
My wife and I are both involved with scouting. We both carry 1st aid kits in our car on with us on scouting trips. Her back ground is as an ICU / Trauma nurse. My background is combat life saver training from a coons age ago and basic and advanced 1st aid training. For the most part they are set up to deal with the stuff you'd run into with 80 some odd cub scouts or girl scouts running around the woods. This is what we carry

tourniquet
adhesive wrap x2
medical tape x2
ACE wrap x 2
moleskin
assorted ban-aids
cravats
4x4 pads
Duct tape
trauma shears
tweezers
disposable razor
hemostat
4 pairs of nitrite gloves
finger splints
Blood clotter
Maxi pads (they are absorbent as hell)
burn cream
antibiotic ointment
bee sting kit
snake bite kit
alcohol pads
iodine pads
benadryl stick
benadryl gel
aspirin
ibuprofen
ice pack x2
sharpie marker
space blanket X2
chem lights

So basically this should cover the bumps, burns, scrapes, sprains, and cuts that you'd expect with boys and girls in the woods. The chances of us being in a combat zone / zombie uprising are slim to none. We have no illusions as to our skills. She carries a bit more due to her having the greater skill set (ICU / Trauma / Burn / Wound nurse).

But we've run into a bit of a dilemma. We currently carry our kits in ancient army medic pouches and we both think they aint the greatest. So we're looking for cases that are better organized, easier to get out and open with out spending a fortune. One idea is using a tackle box. We saw such a kit that another pack was using. Great organization, but bulky and awkward to carry on a hike or store and access in the truck / soccer mom suburban assault transport (SM-SAT, AKA Minivan)

So does anyone have any suggestions as to a container for our stuff? Like I said the less expensive the better, but not to the point to where it will fall apart and be useless. We'd like to spend our money more wisely.

MIKE G
10-06-09, 13:09

LOKNLOD
10-06-09, 13:35
soccer mom suburban assault transport (SM-SAT, AKA Minivan)

LOL. We call it the Family Urban Deployment Vehicle, aka FUDVee. :D

LA Police Gear sells a wide variety of cheap "gear bags" that might be suitable for these purposes. Most of them are copies (er, blatant ripoffs?) of other designs, but when you need several bags on a budget that will spend most of their life stuck in a trunk or under a seat, sometimes this kind of thing makes more sense. [Secondhand info follows:] One of my buddies recently bought some of the small organizer pouches to put inside his Eagle pack, and he said he was surprised at how nice they were.

HES
10-06-09, 13:57
FUDVee > SM-SAT. LOL. But if you knew my kids you'd understand the assault part. Good ideas so far and yeah I want to go as economical as I can.

mkmckinley
10-24-09, 03:30
As far as a car bag to put the stuff in you could go with one of the "diplomat" bags that LApolicegear sells for like $20.

Sounds like you guys have a lot of expertise but you might also consider some supplies for ortho injuries. I can imagine one those kids spraining an ankle or falling on a hike or something. You might want to carry some kinesio tape, couple SAM splints and a few more ACE wraps and cravats to sling, wrap and tape sprains and joint injuries or temporarily splint a fracture.

If you can get ahold of them I'd have a couple epi pens and an albuterol inhaler on hand.

9mm_shooter
10-24-09, 04:31
Most of the time, I just deal with scrapes and stings.

I may have missed band-aids in your inventory. II usually get multiple sizes. I also like using Neosporin on wounds that have been cleaned.

I like having Tylenol on hand as well.

If you are carrying it for adults that might get heart attacks on a campout, fine, but I do not like aspirin for kids, due to the risk of a rare, but problematic adverse reaction if used when they are infected with varicella or influenza, it is called Reye Syndrome - which can lead to fulminant hepatic failure.

Snake bite kits are very controversial. I read somewhere that they are mostly ineffective at removing venom from the wound, and might actually worsen the necrosis - just food for thought.

kmrtnsn
10-24-09, 13:16
Go to countycomm dot com and look at the different bags that they have in the nylon gear sections. The make a MOLLE EOD bag in two sizes that would make a great first aid/trauma bag without busting your wallet.

tweakmeister
10-24-09, 16:25
You can go to discount warehouse type places like TJ Max, Marshalls, etc. that all have a corner with tons of brand name luggage and bags at heavy discount - and the bags are usually very "discreet"

blade_68
10-24-09, 19:28
I used a cheap Red Back pack For my Vehicle First aid bag for years, I hung on left rear window in Jeep for years just in case. you could try just hang off back seat with its strap(s) and many colors available . not to much money tied up in them, then when messed up replace as needed. and can grab and go

HES
11-28-09, 00:31
Go to countycomm dot com and look at the different bags that they have in the nylon gear sections. The make a MOLLE EOD bag in two sizes that would make a great first aid/trauma bag without busting your wallet.
I checked em out and I like the XL EOD bag. Good price, lots of space, and PALS webbing. I think that, coupled with a bunch of ziplock baggies or vac baggies would be a great layout. The only thing Id have against it is that the bag doesnt fold out for easy exposure to everything.

kmrtnsn
11-28-09, 00:47
Countycomm always has the most interesting odds and ends type items for sale. They just listed some Vargo DrySeal Water proof bags that I have to order. It is a good site to check from time-to-time.