PDA

View Full Version : DIAS in Shotgun News

GADAWG
02-23-07, 02:27
I saw this the other day. A "pre-81" dias for $105. Sounds like a load of crap to me. That thing is nothing but a paper weight or a trip to club fed if you own a AR. Probably an batf sting, do people really buy those things?!?!:confused:

tikkafan
02-23-07, 02:42
It's an ATF trap. If it was legit, it would cost 10 times as much.

Robb Jensen
02-23-07, 07:22
It's an ATF trap. If it was legit, it would cost 10 times as much.

700-1000 times as much! :D

If a transferable RDIAS was only $1000 I'd own quite a few of them.

Chris_C
02-23-07, 07:47
If it for the guys with a PO Box here in Michigan, it is 100% BATF. No secret.

rsilvers
02-23-07, 12:22
Found this on another site:

The “pre-81” DIAS - commonly advertised in Shotgun News for about $125-$200 are a completely different item than a registered DIAS. Prior to 1981 it was legal to make and own these sears without necessarily registering them as machineguns. BATF eventually caught on, and in 1981 issued a ruling that the sears were considered machinegun conversion parts and sears made after 1981 had to be registered (tax paid) and transfer as any other NFA item (these became the registered ones referred to above). BATF grandfathered the unregistered sears made prior to 1981, but sears made after 1981 had to either be registered or are considered unregistered machineguns - a serious felony. IT IS A FELONY TO POSSESS BOTH A PRE-81 DROP-IN AUTO SEAR AND AN AR15 - UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES CAN AN INDIVIDUAL LEGALLY USE A PRE-81 DIAS IN AN AR15. Technically, you are allowed to possess an unregistered DIAS which was made prior to 1981, but you cannot possess one if you own an AR15 - it’s one or the other, but not both. Obviously, this rule makes possession of a pre-81 DIAS useless - if you cannot own the rifle it goes in, about all you can do with them is to make cufflinks, earrings, or a very small paperweight.

The so called “pre-81” DIAS presents another legal problem, which can make the mere possession of the sear a felony - even in the complete absence or an AR15. As stated previously, only sears made prior to 1981 are allowed to be unregistered - any sears made after the 1981 ruling must be registered or will be considered by BATF to be unregistered machineguns. Because none of the pre-81 sears carry a serial number which can be definitively linked to a date of manufacture, there is no way to prove to BATF or a prosecutor that an unregistered pre-81 DIAS was actually made prior to 1981. If you are caught with one (just a sear, not even with a rifle) BATF can assume it was made after 1981, and therefore prosecute for felony possession of an unregistered machinegun. The burden of proof will fall on the owner of the sear to prove it was made prior to 1981 - very difficult to do without a serial number of date of manufacture on the sear itself. Granted, some pre-81 sears come with a letter purported to document the sears authenticity, but often these are just Xeroxed, and will not stand up to the scrutiny of a prosecutor.

rsilvers
02-23-07, 12:23
The way I read that, it is legal to make and own (but not use) if it was really made before 1981. I don't see why the burden of proof would be on you and not the prosecutor.

However, even if you really have one made before 1981, you cannot use it -- so there is no point.

tikkafan
02-23-07, 13:53
700-1000 times as much! :D

If a transferable RDIAS was only $1000 I'd own quite a few of them.

Yeah, I left a couple zeros off, I was tired. :D

rsilvers
02-23-07, 14:18
DIAS's suck. There is no comparison to getting a Colt m16. I am surprised they are more than 25% the cost of an M16. The fact that they are so close to the price of an M16 means everyone should just buy an M16.

Nathan_Bell
02-23-07, 19:48
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c353/Swobodo75/chgoto.jpg

tikkafan
02-23-07, 21:38
It's Shotgun News editorial policy to not advertise anything that can convert a weapon to full-auto illegally.

This falls into that category easily, hence something smells fishy.

Gump
02-24-07, 11:59
I've noticed the last several issues have gotten thinner and thinner.

rsilvers
02-26-07, 00:38
If Shotgun news has information that it is a sting -- why would they not cancel the ad?

tikkafan
02-26-07, 01:28
If Shotgun news has information that it is a sting -- why would they not cancel the ad?

Because they're in on it. Otherwise they are advertising something that is against editorial policy, which I find improbable.

They've gotten a lot of heat for advertisements for full-auto parts in the past. It's possible it slipped through the cracks, but I doubt it.

ArJunaBug
02-27-07, 01:13
Aren't the DIAS in the Shotgun News advertisement legal to use by law enforcement? I have read about one agency that used them in off the shelf AR-15's. This allowed them to add the FA function without modifying the weapon permanently. This would facilitate the resale of them down the line.