PDA

View Full Version : Which 1911, Brown or Nighthawk?

JAXM4
10-07-09, 03:29
I am looking to purchase another 1911 and I have it narrowed down to either a Ed Brown Classic Custom or a Nighthawk Custom Dominator. Which do you think is the better made pistol and the one I would be getting my moneys worth so to speak?

SWATcop556
10-07-09, 03:36
Out of those two choices I would go with the Nighthawk.

If I had that kind of $$$ for a new 1911 I would throw down for a Springfield Pro. But that's just my .02

ShipWreck
10-07-09, 06:15
I prefer Brown. I almost went with Nighthawk after looking at their catalogs for years. But I was underwhelmed when I finally handled some.

I have a Brown Special Forces - my fav 45 cal 1911.

I also have a Springfield Custom Shop 1911 in 9mm. Awesome gun too.

If I was to buy another 1911 in 45, it would be another Brown.

In your case - of the two models... Realize that the particular Brown you mentioned has all black target sights. The Nighthawk had tritium adj sights - if that makes any difference to you.

Abraxas
10-07-09, 06:25
I prefer Brown. I almost went with Nighthawk after looking at their catalogs for years. But I was underwhelmed when I finally handled some.

Huh, I found the exact opposite. I would go for the Nighthawk first. Though Brown makes a great weapon as well, and I would not be disappointed to get one.

mpardun
10-07-09, 07:25
Personally, I prefer Ed Brown and have sold my other makes - had to fund my obsession for the other small guys in the M4 realm, like Noveske! Currently have a Bob-tailed Special Forces Model (with NO slide markings) NP3 finished by Robar and a blued Kobra with factory magwell - both Full size.

Why do I like Browns - in order of what matters to me:

100% reliable
Simple (ie. no fancy bushings, most faithful to original Browning design IMHO)
excellent fit-n-finish w/ custom forgings
I liked the golfball/snakeskin - easier on bare hands than checkering
both are custom: got them my way, direct from Ed
not flashy
I like to favor the small guys

I really liked the 3 Nighthawks I have had. NHC is my second choice (along with Wilson, owned one), followed by Les Baer, owned 1. NOTHING at all wrong with either, they are usually a little heavier (not sure why), I do not care for the bake on coatings (I had Hard Chrome on 2 of 3, which may have added to the weight, one was railed). GRP has a similar set-up to Browns, my NHC's all had fancy bushings which led to complicated field stripping.

Here is my NP3'd SF:
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z302/mpardun/MP_SBR_RT.jpg

Here is my Gun Camp favorite (6 classes, 1k+ each, no ftf's):
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z302/mpardun/KobraBlondDaimondbacks.jpg

Had a Full Custom Brown that I sold (regretting it very much now!):
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z302/mpardun/ClassAEngravedAngleRedRT.jpg

Littlelebowski
10-07-09, 08:47
Out of those two choices I would go with the Nighthawk.

If I had that kind of $$$ for a new 1911 I would throw down for a Springfield Pro. But that's just my .02

You beat me to it.

Pappabear
10-07-09, 16:52
If your looking for bang for the buck, SA TRP (non custom). If Nighthawk, why the Dominator. For bang for the buck, I like the base models of both lines. I have the Talon, bought for $2,200.

Ak44
10-07-09, 16:56
I have no experience with 1911's, but I'm currently waiting on a SA Pro from the Custom Shop. I put in my order last Oct and am still waiting. My advice would be find a pistol you like and is somewhat available. You don't want to be like me sitting and waiting for a 1911...

Pappabear
10-07-09, 17:09
Yes, too many good pistols sitting on the shelf.

theJanitor
10-07-09, 18:47
I have no experience with 1911's, but I'm currently waiting on a SA Pro from the Custom Shop. I put in my order last Oct and am still waiting. My advice would be find a pistol you like and is somewhat available. You don't want to be like me sitting and waiting for a 1911...

i agree. the least custom 1911 i own is a Les Baer, so i'm pretty used to waiting for my pistol. i have one out getting more work done at the moment. i don't expect it back for a few months.

So if i were to buy an off the shelf pistol, i would get the wilson/mars, yost-bonitz, or springer pro in the handgun section RIGHT NOW. those are three sweet deals. and would easily be my choice over a brown/NH.

Paul45
10-07-09, 19:08
I own custom Colts, Les Baer, Wilson Combat and Brown 1911's. I don't have a NightHawk yet. They are all top self, high quality guns.
Go for the one you like. They both are excellent! Just besure you choose the one you want - not what someine else wants. It's your money - Both will be great guns.

Ak44
10-07-09, 19:08
The Ed Brown looks cleaner in my opinion, I dunno why but it just does compared to the Nighthawk. I've actually handled a Nighthawk and it was nice. Have you considered Wilson Combat? I heard their 1911's are nice too. Jax what is the current wait time for each pistol? Nothing says you can't get both ;)

SWATcop556
10-08-09, 01:54

Trust me. The Pro is every bit worth the wait. :cool:

QuickStrike
10-08-09, 04:40
I have no experience with 1911's, but I'm currently waiting on a SA Pro from the Custom Shop. I put in my order last Oct and am still waiting.

Crap, I ordered mine this summer... :eek:

Expecting a 12 month wait now. Have read that they no longer use Nowlin barrels on the PRO's also.

Edit: No experience with Ed Brown or Nighthawk, but had a PRO that was perfect and flattered my pathetic shooting skills.

So +1 on the PRO! :cool:

ShipWreck
10-08-09, 06:34
Here is a pic of my Brown :)

GREAT gun!

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/SF-6700-1.jpg

JAXM4
10-08-09, 06:42
Thanks for the input so far, I am looking at the Brown and Nighthawk because I haven't owned one and want to try something new. I have had the Springfields that are mentioned as well as Wilson Combat. When I say bang for the buck I'm not looking for the best deal so to speak but want to make sure if I spend $3k I get $3k worth of gun. I am open to other suggestions as well but those are the two that have my attention at the moment and I don't think there would be a big wait time on either of them.

JAXM4
10-08-09, 07:15
Thought I should also mention that the 1911 is more a hobby of mine than anything, I am not looking to purchase either of theese as a main defensive pistol but more for fun at the range.

Ak44
10-08-09, 09:39
Hopefully by the end of this month the Pro should be in my dealer's hands. If not Debbie is a damn liar. Plus it doens't help that Mr birdsong passed away a few months ago (RIP). There's a few Pros that pop up here and there, like on sgcusa.com and gunbroker.

I'd go with the Ed Brown because cosmetically it looks better.

xray 99
10-08-09, 10:28
I just took delivery of a Brown Special Forces with a long solid trigger, 4.5 pound pull and some special roll marks. Looks really nice. Can't wait to shoot it. I chose the Brown as I wanted a top quality pistol with simple lines.

sff70
10-08-09, 10:54
I have no experience with Brown's pistols, but a lot of my 1911s have Brown parts, which have performed very well indeed.

My NHC/VT, which has been carried as a LE duty pistol in a Safariland 6280 for the past 3 yrs, just hit 10k.

Very reliable, very accurate, and everything is holding up well (fit of the ambi safety, etc).

The "permakote" finish has not held up very well, but I can't imagine that any other "soft" finish would do much better, as I don't baby this gun. Shooting a rifle in the urban prone in gravel pits imparts a lot of character to a pistol's finish. =)

At some point I'll probably have it Ion Bonded.

The NH Talon series are very good pistols and NH offers very good sevice after the sale should you need it. Also, they offer a 10% discount for LE/MIL.

IIRC, Rob S had a Special Forces and did a comparison with some other guns, which he posted on M4C some time back.

I've owned quite a few full and semi-custom 1911s (Heinie, NHC, O'Hara, Baer, YoBo, Bedell, SVI). A lot of it comes down to what you personally like and what the maker offers or will not offer. Some of the "package" guns can be altered to your liking, and some not at all.

I haven't looked at what Brown will do, but NH is famous for modifying their package guns to the customer's liking.

This is what I think you want to look at: can you get the features that YOU want?

There's a lot to be said for having it YOUR way.

Personally, if I had the $$$, I'd commission Heirloom Precision to build a gun for me, to my specs.

Good luck!

High Tower
10-08-09, 16:08
The two you mentioned are both excellent brands. I own a Nighthawk Vickers model and sold my Talon to get it. You won't be disappointed with Nighthawk. They are worth the wait. Brown is great as well, just haven't owned any yet.

13F3OL7
10-09-09, 01:16
I have no personal experience with Brown pistols, but the parts that I have used are well made and have given me no problems so far. The Nighthawk pistol that I have possession of, I pick up one more from my FFL later this month, has likewise not given me any problems. I have found it reliable enough over 999 rounds that I have no issue using it as my CCW.

I think no matter where you decide to spend your money you will be well served by either one.

HAIL-CAESAR
10-09-09, 19:48
Why not a Baer?
http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo349/hailcaesar_photos/_JBP1541.jpg

The Dumb Gun Collector
10-09-09, 21:34
I personally prefer a custom based on a Colt. But I am old-fashioned and base my gun choices on arcane and frankly silly criteria.

HOWEVER, I gather the Nighthawk is the better built of the two guns. I also gather that the Wilson (especially used) is a much better value than the Nighthawk and is just as good a gun with slightly less fancy detail-work.

This is based on information gathered in classes and on the net. So, take it for what it is worth.