PDA

View Full Version : Handgun to compliment AR carbine

afff_667
10-07-09, 12:27
After messing around buying this or that handgun after getting my CHL, I've decided to get serious and rethink my personal armory with a more comprehensive plan. The big decision was deciding that an AR was a necessity (not for concealed carry, of course), and I've pretty much narrowed the AR down to Colt 6920, BCM middy, or DD XV and will be patient as the piggy bank gets a little fatter....It helps that prices are falling and ammo is getting to be available again.

I want to get some good training with the AR and have noticed that most of the carbine classes require a handgun for transition exercises, etc. Although I have a Colt Combat Commander in .45 and a S&W 442 J-frame in .38 Sp, the Colt is a little heavy and the 442 is a little light caliber-wise.

Considering the training requirements, I am leaning towards a Glock 19 to go with the AR for use in training (and as an ocassional CCW), as well as possibly a G26 for a lighter CCW. It seems to me that a Glock would more than adequately address my needs, but I am interested in other opinions.

Again, I am looking at the personal armory matter from a comprehensive approach...thanks for the input.

Incidently, this is my first post, and I want to say thanks to the forum...You've definitely prevented me from making some serious mistakes in my initial AR purchase. I may not be able to buy two of them, but my first one will definitely be a keeper. Stay safe....

Jay Cunningham
10-07-09, 12:42
The choice of handgun is intensely personal and replies to threads like these invariably become a "this is what I use so you should use it too" list.

For what it's worth, I own two Glock 19s. I carry a Glock 19 every day. I practice at the range with my Glock 19, and I participate in training with my Glock 19. My secondary weapon when I am training with a longun is one of my Glock 19s.

So take from that what you will... and don't read too much into the actual model of pistol.

Littlelebowski
10-07-09, 12:51
Don't complicate things with 2 differently sized guns of the same type. I'm sitting at work in corporate America with a G19 concealed (with company blessing).

You cannot go wrong with a G19. Spend the money you were to use on the G26 on a 2 day pistol shooting class and ammo.

Business_Casual
10-07-09, 12:59
Just FYI, the G26 isn't that much smaller. The slide length is not important because both slides are contained in the holster, so there is no gain there. The grip length, with a mag extension, is the same as a G19 without a mag extension. So you give up 2 or 3 rounds to have the same length (for practical purposes) grip. They also weigh close to the same with ammo.

M_P

kbrdann
10-07-09, 13:13
Yep, G19 its all you need.

afff_667
10-07-09, 13:16
Thanks. Excellent points, and I'll take the advice...

I realize that handguns are very personal decisions, but in all honesty the Colt and J-frame I bought probably both represent dollars that could have been more effectively spent. I didn't use the best rationale for buying either one, but I have to admit that I enjoy both.

As I said, however, it's time to put away (to a certain extent) buying whatever looks or sounds good and begin acquiring items that are no nonsense, serious, practical, dependable, and possibly life-saving tools.

cathellsk
10-07-09, 13:25
Thanks. Excellent points, and I'll take the advice...

I realize that handguns are very personal decisions, but in all honesty the Colt and J-frame I bought probably both represent dollars that could have been more effectively spent. I didn't use the best rationale for buying either one, but I have to admit that I enjoy both.

As I said, however, it's time to put away (to a certain extent) buying whatever looks or sounds good and begin acquiring items that are no nonsense, serious, practical, dependable, and possibly life-saving tools.

Don't discount the 442. They fill a niche thats hard for any other gun of its size. Get a set of Crimson Trace 405s for it. Also, I want to add another vote for the Glock 19 for the reasons already mentioned. I also have two currently and use it more than any other handgun I own. Smith J frames make up the other half of my handgun battery.

Macx
10-07-09, 14:02
CZ SP-01 just to put another option on the table.

I perfer CZ to Glock, but as Katar said -
The choice of handgun is intensely personal and replies to threads like these invariably become a "this is what I use so you should use it too" list. I carry a RAMI, but it fits more into the niche of that J-Frame. If I was going to fill the "what to take to carbine class" need, I'd be looking at the SP-01 & that is 100% personal preference, not remotely a statement of "what is better".

afff_667
10-07-09, 14:54
I like the 442 very much...slipped into a pocket or loaded with rat shot when fishing, it's a nice weapon. The Colt I bought is a great shooter, too.

Again, thanks for the input. This is a great group of folks.

whiterabbit05
10-07-09, 14:56
Daniel Defense just came out with a new model, the DDM4v2, I'd save up for that over the DDXV ;)

skyugo
10-08-09, 19:07
the G26 conceals much better than the G19. imho.

if you put a mag extension on the G26 you really gain nothing in terms of concealment though. i dont' find them necessary.

i carry a G19 in the cooler months when i'm wearing a long sleeve shirt or a jacket a lot, and my g26 in the summer, when it conceals fine IWB under a t-shirt or in a smart carry.
i shoot both guns equally, but can draw a little faster with the 19.

perna
10-08-09, 21:38
The DDXV is still a better deal with the $250 gift card which pretty much pays for the rail. Only other difference is the stock, the vertical grip and a case and it costs $450 more.

Argus
10-08-09, 22:41
I switch between a Glock 19, a Glock 26, and a Kel-Tec P3AT for CCW. I carry the 19 when I can, the P3AT when I have to, and the 26 the rest of the time. Personally I find the 26 significantly easier to conceal and carry all day than the 19.

That said, for your purposes I would get the Glock 19. It will serve well as a secondary in classes, and is definitely concealable. You may find that you're fine carrying it and there's no need to look at anything smaller for CCW.

I'm surprised no one has recommended the M&P yet, and it is worthy of consideration. If I weren't already so accustomed to shooting my Glocks (not to mention being up to my eyeballs in Glock holsters, magazines, etc), an M&P would probably be on my short list.

trio
10-08-09, 23:07
another +1 for a G19...

my G19 is my least used Glock....

it is also the last one I would sell...

I have G17s, a G34, and a G26 as well...so if I am going big I go 17 or 34...deep concealment..the 26...

the 19 can do 95% what the other ones can do...if I could only have 1, it'd be a 19

SWATcop556
10-08-09, 23:17
The 19 is my favorite "all around use" handgun. I prefer a 17 for duty/open carry use and a 26 for the warm months when shorts are worn.

A 1911 for everything else.................:cool:

SkiDevil
10-09-09, 14:08
As someone already stated the choice of a pistol is a very personal and subjective matter, but you certainly couldn't go wrong with a Glock. Very well made and reliable pistols. Also, their customer service is excellent and it is very easy to mantain the weapon yourself as well.

If you had not mentioned that you are budgeting and/ or saving-up for a rifle I would have suggested that you look at any one of the following pistol brands: H&K, SIG, Smith and Wesson, Berretta, and of course Glock. I have owned all and they are well made and reliable.

However, because you can join the GSSF and obtain a certificate/ coupon to purchase one Glock pistol (9mm or .40SW) at a reduced price. I would certainly go that route. By spending $50 and joining the GSSF and shooting a match (there are matches held all over the U.S.) you can buy a G-19 at the LE discount for just under $400.00 before DROS and taxes. That is a great deal.

Another plus for the G-19 is that it seems to point better for some folks versus the full-size 17 model. I own both and seem to shoot better with the 19. In addition, of most of the brands, Glock magazines and parts are inexpensive and readily found from a variety of sources as well.

Good Luck with your purchase.
SkiDevil

P.S. As others are chimming-in on your plans for the pending AR purchase. I would take a serious look at the BCM.

trappernana
10-09-09, 14:35
My primary is a 1911,and my back-up is a Glock 30. BOTH are .45 acp. I'm honestly considereing a G21 because I like it also.:D

Bat Guano
10-10-09, 17:11
I'm primarily a pistol shooter, but I would have to say that it just isn't that big an issue. I used a wheelgun most of my LEO career and was still using it at the end. It's the shooter, not the gun. Even the 442 beats throwing rocks (I have one). I used a Colt Commander for work for a while and it's a fine gun. The Glock M19 works fine.

I can choose from the following, and think they're all good tools: 1911s, BHP, Ruger Security Six, GP-100.

I'd just "make do" very nicely with what you now own and spend the time and money on practice. Especially in this economy...

Outlander Systems
10-10-09, 17:34
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Z8ZKY3VKL.jpg

gtmtnbiker98
10-10-09, 21:35
HK45.

bkb0000
10-10-09, 22:57
definately personal, and unimportant (so long as a quality pistol is chosen)- however, for me, there's just something about a Glock 17 and Ar15 that just seems right.

both are relatively small caliber, you can carry assloads of ammo for each, both are black plastic on black metal, both are relatively really light weight, incredibly fast and accurate, and durable, relatively inexpensive ammo, low maintenance, readily available parts, lots of accessories.... the similarities go on.

RogerinTPA
10-10-09, 23:34
M&P9, 40 or 45, but I'm biased, I own all three.;) BUT...you wouldn't go wrong with the G19.

Marc
10-11-09, 00:27
Personnally my Glock 17, for the same reasons mentionned by bkb0000

afff_667
10-11-09, 16:18
Thanks for the comments and suggestions....

halo2304
10-11-09, 21:45
I've been contemplating this same question for a little while. I recently bought a Storm Case and carved out spots for my AR, Surefire light and the tape switch. I've been thinking of stowing a handgun and an extra mag in there as well but I haven't figured out what I want. Beretta 92, Sig P22*, 1911, H&K, Glock...far too many choices. I have a G19 as my primary carry gun but I think a full size gun would better compliment my AR. Another gotta-have for me is the ability to attach a light/laser.

Doggiecop
10-13-09, 23:05
I will cast another vote for the Glock 19. Small enough to carry invest the money in quality holster (and belt) and you should be GTG.

I am issued a S&W M&P full size .40. It is equiped with a Surefire X300 and the Raven concealment holster rocks.

I do have a Smith 340 for BUG and those times when the large frame is simply a no go.

jwfuhrman
10-14-09, 16:36
I personally am a fan of my M4 SBR and G21SF combo. The G21SF is probably my favorite handgun to shoot other than my 1911

Gombey
10-15-09, 01:48
HK45.

+1 I have the 45c. My first (and right now only) handgun. I love it. That said the first handgun I ever fired was a glock 21 (I think) and I liked that as well. I am really a noob to the whole gun thing but I just have to echo the great advice everyone has given me and that is all over this board. Get the gun that you feel most comfortable with. Buying a gun is like picking a wife......choose the one that fits you. You'll be a lot happier that way :D

Just my $.04

tpd223
10-15-09, 02:23
Glock 17 is what I carry.

My G34 also seems to be "right" as well.

Alaskapopo
10-15-09, 13:50
Just FYI, the G26 isn't that much smaller. The slide length is not important because both slides are contained in the holster, so there is no gain there. The grip length, with a mag extension, is the same as a G19 without a mag extension. So you give up 2 or 3 rounds to have the same length (for practical purposes) grip. They also weigh close to the same with ammo.

M_P

The rounded grip of the 26 conceals better especially in a inside the waste band holster. Its a personal thing but I find the Glock 26 more concealable. I don't have much use for the mid sized Glocks. Get a full size one for duty and a sub compact for back up and off duty.
Pat

Spiffums
10-16-09, 20:51
The choice of handgun is intensely personal and replies to threads like these invariably become a "this is what I use so you should use it too" list.

For what it's worth, I own two Glock 19s. I carry a Glock 19 every day. I practice at the range with my Glock 19, and I participate in training with my Glock 19. My secondary weapon when I am training with a longun is one of my Glock 19s.

So take from that what you will... and don't read too much into the actual model of pistol.

I'm a little confused here. So your suggesting he gets a Glock 19? ;) Glock 19 is a great work horse. The only gun I shoot better is my P7 and I hate to get it dirty. It is just so purty.

Jay Cunningham
10-16-09, 21:17
I'm a little confused here. So your suggesting he gets a Glock 19? ;)

Actually - no, I'm not.

:eek:

SingleStacker45
10-16-09, 21:25
G19 is one of the best all around handguns ever made. Cheap lite and accurate. Also supper reliable and high capacity. I use one for daily carry.

Mule

ROCKET20_GINSU
10-17-09, 04:04
Glock primarily for all the reasons others have posted in regards to affordability, reliability, simplicity, reliability, accuracy, perfection and etc... but I like that the trigger is consistent and "close" to the weight of the M4 trigger. I forget specifically the source, but I believe that its in kyle lambs book that he mentions that a pistol trigger should be "close" to the rifle trigger weight whenever is possible. I find the glock trigger easy to transition to from the rifle, while I was Active duty I had to use the M9 and practice can make anything work, but I find the glock a little easier to transition to because of it's consistent trigger and because its not 10+ lbs.

The 1911 trigger is "closer" to the M4 trigger but I like the glock's strengths over the 1911's strengths in general.

GU

Alpha Sierra
10-17-09, 19:12
definately personal, and unimportant (so long as a quality pistol is chosen).

That is my position on the question.

Honestly, try everything not compact from Glock, SIG, S&W, Beretta, HK, or CZ. Pick whichever one suits you best. Buy a shitload of ammo. Pay for training. Get good.

Doggiecop
10-17-09, 20:19
What works for you is what is important.

If you like the Colt rock on with it.

If it is to heavy, why? Check you carry gear would a better belt work for you? Most folks who carry a secondary are carring something that is as heavy or heavier the the Colt.

Nothing wrong with the Glock.

I would stick to what you will carry every day. No use getting some good training in and then switch your manual of arms the very next day.

HTH
BE SAFE

JAYTEAM
10-17-09, 22:25

+1

I own two Glock 19's. One is my daily CCW. The other serves a dual purpose. It has a Surefire X200 on it. It spends most of the time as my nightstand gun. It also doubles as my sidearm when I train with my LMT or AK.

One gun gun definitely simplifies things...

Jay

fledge
10-18-09, 10:28
My question was the opposite: what would go well with my 1911?... :D

I just purchased my first AR two days ago! Glad to find this forum.

Alpha Sierra
10-18-09, 16:44

An M1 rifle.

halo2304
10-18-09, 17:18
An M1 rifle.

M1... Garand? Carbine? M1A1?

bkb0000
10-18-09, 17:23
M1... Garand? Carbine? M1A1?

hmm.. all of the above, historically.

i'll stick with glock 17 for AR.. but i must admit that just as there's something special about a g17 and AR, there's something just as special, even if only for nostalgia, about a 1911 and M1A/M14

not that i could ever claim a true "nostalgia" effect with the latter combo- i'm much too young for that era.

halo2304
10-18-09, 17:26
At the risk of hijacking this thread, here's my AR "kit."
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e309/halo2304/Guns/IMG_0710.jpg
Among the accesories I'm thinking of carving a spot for would be a handgun with an extra mag or two.

ROCKET20_GINSU
10-18-09, 17:39

I just purchased my first AR two days ago! Glad to find this forum.

tommy gun!