PDA

View Full Version : Leupold SPR or ACOG TA44/45?

Amicus
10-07-09, 13:25
Although I am a big fan of ACOGs, and planned to buy a TA44S in the near future, I suddenly remembered that I had been considering buying a Leupold M4 1.5x5 with SPR (not illuminated) for a flattop 300 yard carbine.

Any suggestions re one or t'other?

Alaskapopo
10-07-09, 13:49
You would do better with your question in the optics forum. https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=13
But my suggestion is neither. Acogs are slow up close. I sold the TA31 I tried. The Leupold does not have day light illumination so its a no go. I would recommend a Swarovski 1-6, Meopta 1-4, Trijicoc TR24 1-4 or an Aimpoint with a 3x magnifier behind in in a flip mount.
Pat

Bat Guano
10-07-09, 22:11
I run a 1.5X24 (TA47-2?) on the handle of my M4gery, and I like it a lot. I keep hearing how "slow" it's supposed to be. Eye relief and FOV are excellent. If anything is slowing me up it's NOT my optic. I consider my carbine a 200 yard piece, maximum, because of the fragmentation characteristics of the M193 load; but I have the IBZ zero on it which is good out to 300 yards. That's a stretch for the 1.5 power but it will do it. All I know is that it sure works for me.

The Compact series includes a 2X and a 3X; I have a 3X30 Compact on my M1A, and the FOV and eye relief are noticeably less. A 2X on a carbine would be an interesting compromise.

Alaskapopo
10-07-09, 22:49
Acogs are good optics but I don't care for them at close range. I have played with some of the Alaska State Trooper Swat guns with their 1.5 and 2x fixed compact ACOGs and for me they were still slower than a conventional 1x optic or a 1-4 power varible set at 1x. They are compact and rugged and they are very clear. But I just don't care for the fixed magnification.
Pat

abnartyguy
10-10-09, 09:35
Amicus,

I had the same quandary not to long ago, I was running a 4x ACOG NSN model with a red dot on top trying to span the divide. I had a friend I was working with at the time that offered to sell me his Leo MK4 ill 1.5x5 and I bought it on a whim. I didn't get to really run it till I got home on vacation and took it to a 2 gun match and took second with it, wow!

Run the lowest power you can on it, if your shooting something close, 50m or in, run it at 1.5, you don't want to tunnel or get 'sucked' into what your looking at, like i did. When you push out to 200m-300m set it at 5x and watch those targets get close and easy to hit.

I hate to say it but even after that I bought one of the EO 4x magnifier's that looked cool! But it gave the rifle a cumbersome top heavy feeling that was a no-go. My only regret is I didn't get to test it like I did the other two before I brought it back with me.

At this point I'm thinking of a build (.308 AR) where the 4xEO wouldn't feel so awkward on. After that I'm looking at a light-weight build where my 3xACOG will shine. And a Mid length heavy barrel 16" for my 4xACOG, etc, etc, etc...

More later!