PDA

View Full Version : The Delta Ring. Who Needs It?

Armati
10-07-09, 19:09
It seems that few aftermarket rail systems need a delta ring. The only one that I can find is the KAC M4.

Are their any other rail systems that need the delta ring?

Are there any other compelling reasons to install the delta ring if you not going to use a plastic handguard?

The_War_Wagon
10-07-09, 19:23
If you're using a free-floating railed fore end, it would appear not.

cevtv
10-07-09, 19:34
Daniel Defense Omega Rail......

nfranco
10-07-09, 21:16
VLTOR CASV
http://www.vltor.com/casv-sub.htm

justin_247
10-08-09, 00:08
Troy, Midwest Industries, KAC, Daniel Defense, Ergo, Samson, YHM, Surefire, and a few others all make rail systems that utilize the delta ring.

cschwanz
10-08-09, 12:52
kind of a dumb noobish question here but............. is it better to have or remove the delta ring, or does it depend on the purpose of the gun? I should be buying my first AR soon and want a rail in the future and this info may help me out. thanks

ad sorry to mini- hijack your thread :p

Armati
10-08-09, 19:17
Justin - are you sure about the Surefire? I removed one the other day and it seems to slide under the barrel nut. Actually, I was looking to use the Surefire rail on my wife's build and was wondering if I really need a delta ring.

cschwanz - personally, I would never build a gun with it if I didn't have to. It seems like a superfluous part. My first build and personal gun used an ARMS SIR with the cut out for the delta ring but I saw no point in actually installing the ring. If I replace it, it would be a LaRue that does not need a delta ring.

donnyblaze1
10-08-09, 20:25
kind of a dumb noobish question here but............. is it better to have or remove the delta ring, or does it depend on the purpose of the gun? I should be buying my first AR soon and want a rail in the future and this info may help me out. thanks

ad sorry to mini- hijack your thread :p
Totally depends on your plans for the gun. If you are "buying" an AR, then it will most likely have a delta ring. There are plenty of drop-in handguard rails that work with the delta ring...Troy is the main one that comes to mind here. As mentioned, the DD Omega is a free-float rail system that works with the delta ring. Many other rail systems will require the removal of your delta ring (and gas block/FSB for install). Just do some research, figure out what direction you want to go with the rifle, and that will guide your delta ring decision.

That being said, I can't think of a reason that the delta ring would be a bad thing. My main carbine wears a DD Omega, and the delta ring is just "along for the ride", but having it on the gun certainly doesn't negatively impact the weapon's function. It's all about what handguard/rail system you will be using.