PDA

View Full Version : I've got exposed metal on the barrel

sonny22
10-07-09, 21:15
of my colt due to nicks/scratches. I've been keeping them oiled up good, but I just
wanted to know what would be the best thing to use to cover them up to keep
them from rusting?

Iraqgunz
10-07-09, 21:21
If you feel it is a problem get some black Aluma-Hyde from Brownells, follow instructions and paint.

FYI- the color may not match the rest of your carbine. Some people are really concerned about that.

of my colt due to nicks/scratches. I've been keeping them oiled up good, but I just
wanted to know what would be the best thing to use to cover them up to keep
them from rusting?

hillmillenia
10-07-09, 22:14
Birchwood Casey cold blue paste. Get it at Walmart, clean the spot and apply with a Q-Tip. Let it set a few minutes and wipe off. Re-apply until it looks right. I've used it for years on lot's of guns (blue/black/whatever). Works great!

Mac5.56
10-07-09, 23:24
Birchwood Casey cold blue paste. Get it at Walmart, clean the spot and apply with a Q-Tip. Let it set a few minutes and wipe off. Re-apply until it looks right. I've used it for years on lot's of guns (blue/black/whatever). Works great!

Would this work for larger areas on blued barrels/receivers if your not concerned about even finish just protection? I have an old .22LR bolt action that could use some love. The gun is as old as my father, still shoots like a champ, but the barrel needs some love.

ra2bach
10-08-09, 09:35
Would this work for larger areas on blued barrels/receivers if your not concerned about even finish just protection? I have an old .22LR bolt action that could use some love. The gun is as old as my father, still shoots like a champ, but the barrel needs some love.

AR receiver is aluminum while the barrel is steel. you'd need different products for those two but sporting rifles with matching blued barrel and receiver this would work.

there are other products for touching up steel bluing as well - some better, some worse...

ST911
10-08-09, 10:57
Clean and degrease. Hit with a spot of high temp krylon.

Mac5.56
10-08-09, 12:11
I was talking specifically about Birchwood Casey that hillmillenia mentioned. Is that an aluminum product?

I don't think I would own an AR if they entire thing was steel...:)

Avenger29
10-08-09, 12:28
Clean and degrease. Hit with a spot of high temp krylon.

That's what I do for firearms that aren't fine sporting arms. Works pretty well, cheap and easy.

Quib
10-08-09, 12:30
Birchwood-Casey makes two products-Liquid Cold Blue (Steel Only) and Aluminum Black (Aluminum Only).

If you apply Liquid Cold Blue to worn or scratched areas this is only covers you for cosmetic purposes. This will not prevent rust. You will still need to wipe things down with oil.

Off the subject; My personal choice of Liquid Cold Blue is the product offered by G96. It is a very close match to most barrel park jobs I’ve used it on for touch-ups.

sonny22
10-08-09, 13:10
ok, i just want to thank everybody for the help.

hillmillenia
10-08-09, 19:05
AR receiver is aluminum while the barrel is steel. you'd need different products for those two but sporting rifles with matching blued barrel and receiver this would work.

there are other products for touching up steel bluing as well - some better, some worse...

I don't think I'd recommend it for more then a scratch...I have used this product on aluminum as well and it works...

Outlander Systems
10-08-09, 19:19
FYI- the color may not match the rest of your carbine. Some people are really concerned about that.

I know it's tough to read humour on the 'net, but all I read was:

"Some people are really concerned about that. :rolleyes:"

556frags
10-08-09, 19:41
Just be sure to keep a light coat of oil on the scratches no matter what you do.

Iraqgunz
10-08-09, 19:44
I made that post in conjunction with the "my upper isn't as pretty as my lower" thread that continues to pop up every other day.

I know it's tough to read humour on the 'net, but all I read was:

"Some people are really concerned about that. :rolleyes:"

bbvette427
10-08-09, 20:01
If you feel it is a problem get some black Aluma-Hyde from Brownells, follow instructions and paint.

Your right color match on upper and lowers but never heard any one concerned about barrels. :)

DBR
10-08-09, 20:50
"Formula 44/40 Gun Blue" does the best job of anything I have tried covering up scratches on phosphate finishes. They just disappear.

sonny22
10-08-09, 21:10
hey DBR, could you tell me where i could buy formula 44/40 gun blue?
thanks for the info.