PDA

View Full Version : Mindset shift

rob_s
10-08-09, 06:06
I am not a professional instructor. I have a day job that pays my bills. But I run a monthly carbine match and a monthly practice/drills night. We have been averaging 15-20 shooters on the line at drills for the last year or two that we've been doing them.

I enjoy running the drills for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is that I have found that my own shooting has improved tremendously from watching and helping other shooters. But there is also a great satisfaction in watching other shooters improve over time and seeing them come out month to month and improve.

One of the things I've noticed also is the mindset shift. I'm not talking about a "fighting" mindset as that's outside my realm of expertise to try to impart, but a mindset in terms of gear and guns. Many guys start out coming out with 10 tons of web gear on, asking about shooting 3-4 different rifles in one night, etc. Seeing them change to a more streamlined setup, sticking to one platform month to month, and seeing them focus on the "right" things (fundamentals, manipulations, etc.) and ignoring the aesthetic and collectors aspects is something I really take pride in.

Some recent threads here have seen some newer posters get upset that their opinions haven't been respected. They get offended when others question their training and experience based on some of the things they post, and often seem kind of surprised that the other posters can so easily spot that inexperience through a couple of simple posts on an internet forum. That lack of a mindset shift is how the rest of us can tell. You see them focusing on coloring their logos with crayons instead of asking about what sling is best for transitions to pistol. You see them worrying about color-matched uppers and lowers instead of asking about what chest rigs work best in training classes. The list goes on and on.

Not to drag out an old cliche, but it's a training issue. Those of us that are around a large sample size of shooters over a long period of time and see that mindset shift take place in those shooters can spot it from a mile away. I have shooters that asked me on their first night out if Magpul's ranger green matched Vltors, that are now asking me questions about how my sling setup interfaces with my chest rig. That's a mindset shift. They're getting out and using the guns and gear and they don't care anymore about whether their gun is three shades of green, they just want it to work in the most efficient way possible for their intended use.

no real point to this thread I guess. I know I was bitching about the mindset of many of our shooters last week and just wanted to post something more positiv. We had a really good drills night this week and we saw that mindset shift occur in several of the new guys in just that 3 hour time period. It re-energized me, and frankly I'm proud of all of our guys.

MarshallDodge
11-03-09, 16:12
Good stuff rob.

The day you stop learning is the day you start moving backwards.

bill_d
11-03-09, 18:02
hey rob,
square 'em away!...Drill Instructor.

i get your point,
satisfaction,
get some!

zushwa
11-03-09, 18:06
SSSSSSHHHHHHHH......Rob, people might stop thinking cool gear makes them a ninja. Then what would I do for a living?? :D

Nice post dude.

CoryCop25
11-03-09, 18:11
RobS, I agree with you 100%. I see myself doing this from time to time. The industry is ever evolving and if you don't evolve with it then you will be left behind. I tell new officers that I train that the day you think you know everything there is about police work is the day you should start looking for a new line of work. People are the most unpredictable animals and life is ever evolving. This is very similar with gear selection and training to fight. I took my first instructor course in 2001 and that course being taught today is totally different, perhaps some things are even wrong now.

d90king
11-03-09, 18:11
Good stuff rob.

The day you stop learning is the day you start moving backwards.

Life is about being a sponge that never gets full. Soak up every bit of knowledge that you can, until its time to take a dirt nap...

I have found in life that there are those who want to learn, and others who are content in knowing it all.

MaceWindu
11-03-09, 18:14
..They get offended when others question their training and experience based on some of the things they post, and often seem kind of surprised that the other posters can so easily spot that inexperience through a couple of simple posts on an internet forum. That lack of a mindset shift is how the rest of us can tell. You see them focusing on coloring their logos with crayons instead of asking about what sling is best for transitions to pistol. You see them worrying about color-matched uppers and lowers instead of asking about what chest rigs work best in training classes. The list goes on and on....

Ya hit the nail on the head Rob...functionality and practicality over "fit and finish" :rolleyes:

Mace

QuietShootr
11-03-09, 18:26
Ya hit the nail on the head Rob...functionality and practicality over "fit and finish" :rolleyes:

Mace

LOL!! I think someone should put the Waaaambulance on standby, the whining will start any minute.

NoBody
11-03-09, 18:42
SPOT ON.

PRGGodfather
11-03-09, 18:50
Yup.

A wise man said, "Knowledge is a barrier to learning."

It's hard to speak with people who already know everything.

GrumpyM4
11-03-09, 20:19
Good post.

I know that I went through this shift, and am honored that i've helped others do the same.

Getting past the "gear queer" and "happy blaster" level and putting rounds downrange with a purpose is always a good thing.

It's when people finally realize that their guns actually have a real use and utility beyond cool internet pictures and bragging rights.

One of the big indicators i've seen of the mindset shift is when they start to not mind the scratches on a firearm that had previously been a safe queen.

I would also take it a step further. I feel that people have really gone the full measure of the training mindset when they even go beyond asking about how gear works, and are asking about actual techniques, and more importantly, tactics and the mindset that goes with the whole shebang.

Once they are at the level where they want to learn and do as much as they can with the realization that the real weapon in this equation is themselves and understand that the guns/gear is really just another tool in the toolbox, it is a great thing.