PDA

View Full Version : Gun toting soccer mom found shot dead.

Cohibra45
10-08-09, 06:46
Here is the story:

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2009/10/gun-toting_soccer_mom_is_shot.html

Gun-toting soccer mom is shot dead
By Steve Farley
October 08, 2009, 12:00AM
View full sizeCHRIS KNIGHT, The Patriot-NewsGun owner Meleanie Hain, in front of her house in Lebanon in December.Meleanie Hain, the pistol-carrying Lebanon mom who received national attention for taking a loaded gun to her daughter’s soccer game, was shot to death Wednesday night with her husband in an apparent murder-suicide, police said.

Hain, 31, and her husband, Scott, 33, were pronounced dead by Lebanon County Coroner Dr. Jeffrey Yocum shortly after 8:30 p.m. at their home at Second Avenue and East Grant Street, police said.

The couple’s three children were home at the time and were not injured, and are staying with relatives and friends, police said.

Autopsies were scheduled for Thursday, police said. No other details were available at press time.

Neighbor Mark Long said Meleanie baby-sat his 3-year-old son and that she and Scott had been having marital problems for the last week. Scott left on Tuesday and Meleanie did not know where he went, but he came back Wednesday, Long said.

Meleanie Hain was thrust into the national spotlight when she took a gun, in plain view and holstered on her hip, to a soccer game Sept. 11, 2008, at Optimist Park in Lebanon.

Her permit to carry a gun was revoked by Lebanon County Sheriff Michael DeLeo on Sept. 20, 2008. DeLeo said Hain showed poor judgment in wearing her gun to the game.

Hain’s permit was reinstated by Lebanon County Judge Robert Eby on Oct. 14, 2008, but the judge asked her to conceal it when she goes to soccer games. Hain said she would continue to carry it openly under the Second Amendment.

Hain then filed a lawsuit against DeLeo for $1 million in U.S. Middle District Court seeking reimbursement of attorneys’ fees and costs, emotional distress and lost wages.

"She has been stigmatized unfairly," her attorney, Matthew Weisberg said at the time.

The Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence then offered to defend DeLeo for free.

Daniel Vice, a senior attorney for the Brady Center, said at the time: "It is a case that calls out for common sense. ... It’s ridiculous to bring a gun to a child’s soccer game."

A hearing on Hain’s suit was postponed in May after one of the attorneys in the case was involved in an auto accident.

In an interview with The Patriot-News published Dec. 27, Hain said: "I am happy being a gun owner."

She said she had no intention of changing her views on gun ownership and noted her critics had no intention of changing theirs.

She acknowledged the publicity had detrimentally affected her life. "I have read all sorts of slander, personal attacks, and even threats toward me, my family, and, yes, some specific to my children," she said in the interview.

"The publicity surrounding me as a person makes me feel awkward and uncomfortable. As stated previously, I am willing to talk to the press because the issue is so important, but the focus on me, personally, has been difficult because it simply is not about me," she said.

About the decision to sue DeLeo, Hain said she did it because she was wronged

"Just the fact that he was wrong is evidenced by the fact that my license was restored to me. ... I am a victim of Sheriff Michael DeLeo’s. I am a victim of those in society as a direct result of his actions as well. The way people look at me sometimes when I am out running errands, I feel as if I am wearing a scarlet letter, and really it’s a Glock 26."

Staff writer Monica von Dobeneck contributed to this report.

Thoughts and Prayers to her family and children!!

M4arc
10-08-09, 06:53
I can only imagine how happy the Brady Bunch is after hearing this news. They're probably having a pot-luck and slapping each other on the back.

stipilot
10-08-09, 07:31
Local news says the kids ran to the neighbors hollering "Daddy shot mommy!"

Sadly, it's now fuel for the antis.

M4arc
10-08-09, 07:33
Local news says the kids ran to the neighbors hollering "Daddy shot mommy!"

Sadly, it's now fuel for the antis.

Wasn't that the reason she carried a gun in the first place, to protect her from her husband? I guess she wasn't bat-shit-crazy afterall like the media made her out to be. Turned out he was a threat to her afterall. Odd...

Alex F
10-08-09, 08:01
RIP to the lady.

Safetyhit
10-08-09, 11:26
This is a big story around here right now, and an ugly one.

Bad on numerous levels.

Mac5.56
10-08-09, 11:57
These are the stories where I hate the media!!! Give the family and friends peace please, and let them deal with their loss. That would never happen though.

sjohnny
10-08-09, 18:23
Why the hell does a story about a woman being murdered have one line about her being murdered and 400 lines about her gun ownership and problems with the Brady Bastards?

13F3OL7
10-09-09, 01:19
Saw this on another forum. It's a damn shame when kids see shit like that in their own home which is supposed to be a safe haven. May she rest in peace and her husband rot in hell.

MPi-KMS-72
10-09-09, 08:27
http://www.ldnews.com/ci_13516592 some more info there.

Artos
10-09-09, 08:30
Went hunting with an leo buddy yesterday and he's now 'hearing' the reverse....maybe mommy shot daddy and turned the gun on herself:confused::confused:

RancidSumo
10-09-09, 09:26
Easy way to tell if someone belongs in prison - the Brady Campaign offers to defend them.

Cohibra45
10-09-09, 15:48
Just out today...........

Meleanie Hain shooting was witnessed on Web cam, police say
By BARBARA MILLER, The Patriot-News
October 09, 2009, 2:29PM
View full sizeCHRIS KNIGHT, The Patriot-NewsGun owner Meleanie Hain, in front of her house in Lebanon in December.Meleanie Hain, the pistol-carrying Lebanon mom who received national attention for taking a loaded gun to her daughter’s soccer game, was talking to a friend via a Web camera when her husband, Scott, shot her to death before killing himself, Lebanon police said today.

View full sizeDan Gleiter, The Patriot-NewsGun-carrying soccer mom Meleanie Hain died with her husband, Scott, in what police are calling a murder-suicide. Hain, 31, and her husband, Scott, 33, were pronounced dead by Lebanon County Coroner Dr. Jeffrey Yocum shortly after 8:30 p.m. Wednesday in this home at Second Avenue and East Grant Street, Lebanon, police said.Meleanie Hain, 31,and her husband, Scott, 33, were pronounced dead by Lebanon County Coroner Dr. Jeffrey Yocum shortly after 8:30 p.m. Wednesday at their home at Second Avenue and East Grant Street, Lebanon, police said.

At a press conference today, Lebanon police said Meleanie Hain was in the kitchen on the first floor of the home and communicating with a friend of hers and Scott's when Scott Hain fired six shots from a 9mm handgun registered to him. Scott Hain then went to the second floor of the home and shot and killed himself with a shotgun, police said.

Police said the friend had turned away from the computer during the conversation but turned back to the screen when he heard a shot and a scream. The friend did not see Meleanie Hain shot, but did see Scott Hain fire a gun where Meleanie had been sitting and called 911, police said. Police did not identify the friend or further categorize his relationship to Meleanie Hain.

Police have served a search warrant and seized the friend's computer.

Police took several handguns, a shot gun, two rifles and several hundred rounds of ammunition from the Hains' home. Meleanie Hain's handgun was found fully loaded and in a backpack near the front door of the home, police said.

The couple's three children were home at the time of the shooting but were not hurt. Police did not say whether any of them witnessed the shootings.

Meleanie Hain’s mother, Jenny Stanley, told WGAL-TV that the children, ages 2, 6 and 10, were “hanging in there.” “I’m devastated,” Stanley said. “I lost my daughter. I lost my best friend. The children lost their parents.”

Looks like the husband was caught on camera!!!;)

-gary
10-09-09, 17:15
What puzzles me, and lord knows it shouldn't by now, reading around the webs is how much celebrating the antis are doing because she was shot and killed. Any other time a woman is shot by her estranged and/or deranged husband it's an unspeakable horror. This time though, because she actually owned a firearm herself and wasn't afraid to touch it, she had it coming.

Artos
10-09-09, 17:33
What puzzles me, and lord knows it shouldn't by now, reading around the webs is how much celebrating the antis are doing because she was shot and killed. Any other time a woman is shot by her estranged and/or deranged husband it's an unspeakable horror. This time though, because she actually owned a firearm herself and wasn't afraid to touch it, she had it coming.

Gary, this was one of my fears as well....once I heard that she may be the criminal, I thought the gun hating main stream would really run with it.

The focus should be on the poor kiddo's and their furture, but personal opinions always move the bullseye. While tragic, I was still relieved to see cohibra's link as I thought the 'celebrating' would be super ugly.

Safetyhit
10-09-09, 21:49
Just out today...........

Looks like the husband was caught on camera!!!;)

Seems like an extraordinarily bad thing to make light of via that winky face.

Read the part about the 3 children?

Artos
10-09-09, 21:56
Seems like an extraordinarily bad thing to make light of via that winky face.

Read the part about the 3 children?

Pretty sure that was directed towards me and the possibility of the Mom being the bad guy amigo...at least that is how I viewed winky.

Cohibra45
10-10-09, 07:47
Sorry about the 'winkie'............I was only trying to emphasize the point of clarifying facts.

My fault for seeming to come across callous and non feeling. I have a 15 year old son and family means everything to me. I truly feel for them and their family. I did keep them in my prayers yesterday.

Again, sorry for the misuse of the imoticons......

Kelly (Cohibra45)

photosniper
10-10-09, 08:07
This is truly a horrible story, Meleanie was a great person and while I never met her in person, I had conversations with her on PAFOA. It sounds like her husband had left the home for at least a day or so after their discussion about separating. Meleanie knew here husband was going to react violently, telling a fellow PAFOA member her fears. I think Scott (husband) ambushed her. I'm betting she didn't even know he was in the house when this went down.
And the fact that the Brady Bunch and their ilk are celebrating this event just proves the fact the our society is past the point of redemption.