PDA

View Full Version : Ace M4 Socom Stock

gman622
10-08-09, 19:32
Anybody have any opinions on this stock?

Ak44
10-08-09, 19:37
No experience with the stock, but have heard and read that it is an extremely sturdy stock.

Brian Brazier
10-08-09, 20:55
I plan on using one on my M4, but I don't have any experiance with one. I have heard the same as AK44, that the ACE stock is sturdy

mmike87
10-09-09, 05:55
I have read several reports that some older ones were loose in the receiver - the tube wobbled slightly beyond the ability of its unique attachment system.

My older stock that I don't use anymore (think Magpul) did that on several rifles, and I solved it with teflon tape on the threads. That solution actually worked pretty well.

A guy in my carbine class had the stock and the same issue.

My stock was purchase 4 or 5 years ago and the problem is probably fixed by now.

Otherwise, it seemed to be a good solid functional stock.

zgrins1
10-09-09, 06:25
I have an older one that is 5-6 years old and never had a problem with it. Then again it was never abused enough to see if there are any problems.

trappernana
10-09-09, 12:54
I want one!!! One of the guys at the local gun shop has one and has nothing but good things to say about it. It's not as expensive as some of the others I've been looking at, and I personally don't care if my carbine has designer names on it. It's sturdy, won't slip of my shoulder, and has a padded cheak rest. I can ,hopefully, get one next pay. Take care of yourself, and all those around you. ;)

Armati
10-09-09, 13:23
I have one and so does a buddy of mine.

Mine is a newer ACE built on a Bushmaster lower. His is older ACE built on an old Olympic lower. Mine is just fine and I didn't need teflon tape. His was always loose. He tried teflon tape but he felt it was still too loose. He fixed the problem with duct tape! Personally, I think it was his cheap Olympic lower and a break his ball about it all the time.

The stock is seriously heavy duty and I love the form factor. I wish Magpul or somebody would make a bolt on storage compartment for that little triangle area of the butt.

You may find that the foam sleeve catches on your facial hair under recoil. If you have a full beard you are ok. If you have a clean shave you are ok. But, a little stubble will dig into the foam and pull you cheek a little when fired. Some folks can live with it - some can't. My buddy just put some 100MPH tape around it.

glockshooter
10-09-09, 20:32
I have used both the M4 and the M4 Socom. I love both of them. I had to switch over to the Socom version for LOP issues with the fullsized version. It is a very sturdy stock. And as with many quality items if it is installed correctly, it works correctly. You wont be disappointed.

Matt

the_fallguy
10-10-09, 14:31
I considered getting one when I was building my first AR, but I heard from several people who had the adjustment button break and the stock collapsed. One of them had it happen with the replacement part as well.

You may or may not abuse your carbine enough to have the same issue, but it's something to think about.

Dave_M
10-10-09, 16:34
I have ACE SOCOM stocks on 3 of my AR's and ACE skeleton stocks on two of my AK's. The SOCOMs are very robust stocks. I don't know if there is a tougher stock on the market. I carry my spare batteries in my pistol and vert grips so storage is a non-issue with me.

The problem with them being a little loose is mostly with the older models. A little teflon tape fixes that problem easily. One of my friends had the same problem with a Magpul UBR, which was also readily fixed with some teflon tape.

mvician
10-10-09, 17:29
Wanted one, bought one, sold one...................it just never grew on me.

DBR
10-10-09, 18:55
One problem with the ACE tubes is they only have about 60% thread engagement with the threads on the lower. The call out for the milspec tube that I have seen requires 1.185 diameter across the threads with "fully formed threads".

The ACE tube I have here (very recent) measures 1.160 across the threads and the threads are obviously flat topped (they have to be with the undersized tube). They are apparently also cut too deep. Just being undersized on the major diameter would not necessarily make them a loose fit.

The Rat
10-11-09, 00:26
I have SOCOM stocks on both my AR15 and my AR10, and I like them for their rugged simplicity. My AR15 has been sporting one for about four years now, my AR10 for about three. No issues with them at all.

DBR
10-11-09, 01:44
I'm glad you are a satisfied customer. That doesn't change the fact that ACE products are substantially out of spec. The stories of "teflon tape" pretty much confirm that.

When I buy a part for something as well established as an AR I expect it meet the relevant standards. I know many vendors do not and get away with doing so. They just won't get my business if I can help it.

Armati
10-11-09, 07:52
Is the out of spec issue an old problem? I got mine in 2006 and it worked just fine on my Bushmaster lower.

DBR
10-11-09, 15:44
The part I measured came to me two weeks ago directly from ACE.

glockshooter
10-11-09, 22:51
I'm glad you are a satisfied customer. That doesn't change the fact that ACE products are substantially out of spec. The stories of "teflon tape" pretty much confirm that.

When I buy a part for something as well established as an AR I expect it meet the relevant standards. I know many vendors do not and get away with doing so. They just won't get my business if I can help it.

If you don't like it that is cool, but don't come in with the "stories of teflon". If yours was that way then fine, but rumors or twentieth persons stories mean nothing. Maybe yours was messed up, and not what you expected, but did you call them and address your concerns?

Matt

DBR
10-11-09, 23:10
I spoke with ACE. They said the dimension is not an error it's just the way they are. I got an RMA# to return the part.

The reason I raised this issue is people are advised to use the milspec receiver extensions in part because they have the right thread diameter. The commercial spec receiver extensions I have measured are undersized at the threads as well usually measuring about 1.170.

The ACE is supposed to be heavy duty but it is undersized where some who should know say it matters.

MisterWilson
10-11-09, 23:32
If you don't like it that is cool, but don't come in with the "stories of teflon". If yours was that way then fine, but rumors or twentieth persons stories mean nothing.

:rolleyes:

LettersFromEarth
10-13-09, 09:58
Had one and wasn't that impressed. It was more loose than a whore and I got rid of it as soon as I could. Go Magpul and don't look back.

acrashb
10-13-09, 11:36
several people who had the adjustment button break and the stock collapsed.
Happened to me, twice, so now I have a new stock. The internal part of the button has a tendency to ride up on the notches on the RET. Once it slips and collapses, the notches get hogged out and it will never work right again.

Other than that, nice stock.

mmike87
10-13-09, 15:28
If you don't like it that is cool, but don't come in with the "stories of teflon". If yours was that way then fine, but rumors or twentieth persons stories mean nothing. Maybe yours was messed up, and not what you expected, but did you call them and address your concerns?

Matt

I consider my "story of teflon" to be a first hand account, as did the person in my carbine class. That was years ago, and if they are still loose like that then there is a problem.

Dave_M
10-13-09, 15:57
I consider my "story of teflon" to be a first hand account, as did the person in my carbine class. That was years ago, and if they are still loose like that then there is a problem.

One of my friends has had to put teflon tape on not one but two different UBR stocks on two different lowers (RRA and I think DS) to eliminate wiggle.