PDA

View Full Version : M&P Compact - Is this normal?

AR15thur
10-08-09, 19:36
I've got a full-size and know that it doesn't have this problem, but:

I field-stripped the new compact M&P9 that I picked up today, and noticed that as I pulled the slide off of the frame, that it seemed pretty tight coming off of the front rails. After cleaning, I put it back on, and noticed how tight it was again.

It's a tight enough fit, that if I don't put the slide back on just right, that it'll lock up and tilt the slide toward the side.

It almost seems like the slide rails on the frame are a little too wide.

Anyone have this problem, or is it not even a problem, and just something special about the compact?

RogerinTPA
10-08-09, 20:11
That sounds a little peculiar to me. Mine didn't exhibit that when first purchased. Mine is a good fit, as is all my M&Ps but I wouldn't classify it as "tight". Have you fired it yet to check for proper function? It may be a non-issue if it functions properly. Lube the recommended parts, shoot a couple hundred rounds through her (in the same shooting session), see how it goes and get back to us.

ra2bach
10-09-09, 08:35
I've got a full-size and know that it doesn't have this problem, but:

I field-stripped the new compact M&P9 that I picked up today, and noticed that as I pulled the slide off of the frame, that it seemed pretty tight coming off of the front rails. After cleaning, I put it back on, and noticed how tight it was again.

It's a tight enough fit, that if I don't put the slide back on just right, that it'll lock up and tilt the slide toward the side.

It almost seems like the slide rails on the frame are a little too wide.

Anyone have this problem, or is it not even a problem, and just something special about the compact?

in the 1911 world, this would be known as a "bonus". j/k... I don't have a compact so I can't answer to that but I do have a FS and a PRO and neither impressed me as being especially tight on the rails.

did you eyeball it to make sure nothing is out of the ordinary?

since you have a FS, can you swap slides and notice if the problem still exists?

AR15thur
10-09-09, 08:38
in the 1911 world, this would be known as a "bonus". j/k... I don't have a compact so I can't answer to that but I do have a FS and a PRO and neither impressed me as being especially tight on the rails.

did you eyeball it to make sure nothing is out of the ordinary?

since you have a FS, can you swap slides and notice if the problem still exists?

I'll try the FS slide on it and see what happens, I didn't think of that.