PDA

View Full Version : Moon bombing?

donnyblaze1
10-08-09, 20:41
Anybody going to watch the moon bombing early tomorrow AM?

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=nasas-mission-to-bomb-the-moon-2009-06

obucina
10-08-09, 20:43
water my ass....they are looking for fuel. i dont want to know whats going to happen if the moons orbit is disrupted.

thopkins22
10-08-09, 20:53
First of all, how lame is it that we let the Japanese shoot a missile at the moon before we did? Not very American of us.

water my ass....they are looking for fuel. i dont want to know whats going to happen if the moons orbit is disrupted.

Nothing is going to happen to the moon's orbit because of this. You say this as though the moon isn't massive, and this thing is the size of Rhode Island. The moon gets hit with meteors all the time without the benefit of an atmosphere to burn them up.

556frags
10-08-09, 21:05

No shit.

Heavy Metal
10-08-09, 21:19

My Lord, where did you not learn Science? I mean, really!!! Did you think at all before you posted that?

A few ton chunk of spent booster hitting the moon is like a microbe hitting a freight train. The Moon has been hit by rocks the size of Mount Everest and larger in the past. See those things they call 'seas' on the moon? They are vast areas of lava flow where huge asteroids have struck the moon and melted the surface from the energy of impact. They did not make a crater, they simply liquidated the surface due to the immense release of energy. An energy release that would dwarf the sum total of every nuclear warhead in the world's arsenal at the height of the Cold War.

Water is fuel BTW, it can be split for Hydrogen which is a rocket fuel.

Also ,we used to use the spent SIV-B third stage of the Saturn V booster to impact the moon to create 'moonquakes' (microscopic) for our sizemometers the Apollo Astronauts set up on the moon. This was for sizemic soundings to map the moons interior. The orbit of the moon was totally unaffected. Those things were at least five times the size of the Centaur stage about to strike the moon tonight.

geminidglocker
10-08-09, 21:25
Heavy metal sounds like he speaks from experience.

Heavy Metal
10-08-09, 21:25
You could strike the Moon with every nuclear warhead in the world's arsenal and not move it's orbit a foot.

The moon is more than large enough. It is larger than some planets. If it were in an orbit of it's own, it would be easily classed as a planet. It't surface area is larger than Africa and some of you are worried about dropping something the mass of a Ford F-350 on it's surface.

Grow a mental pair people. This piece of the sky isn't falling.

Heavy Metal
10-08-09, 21:27
Heavy metal sounds like he speaks from experience.

I didn't sleep during College, at least during Physics, Astronomy and Geology and some of the Math.

Erik 1
10-08-09, 21:37
That's not a moon. It's a space station!

SteyrAUG
10-08-09, 23:30
My Lord, where did you not learn Science? I mean, really!!! Did you think at all before you posted that?

You are so wrong. It's gonna crack and rain moon cheese down on us for a month.

ToddG
10-08-09, 23:43
A few ton chunk of spent booster hitting the moon is like a microbe hitting a freight train.

Except the Centaur rocket that NASA launched is actually made of blended metal... According to Stan Bulmer, the entire moon will simultaneously both disintegrate and be completely unharmed by the impact.

Zhurdan
10-09-09, 00:56
No, no no... they're going to find water on the moon and it'll have to be changed in the history books that the moon is actually "Low Fat Cheese"!!!

Gentoo
10-09-09, 01:55
http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/8910/mooninitesexplosioncopy.jpg

The_War_Wagon
10-09-09, 05:34
You can also see the Bleu Cheese crumble live, here - http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html

perna
10-09-09, 19:43
I just watched the video, I didnt see anything hit the moon.

BiggLee71
10-09-09, 21:00
You could strike the Moon with every nuclear warhead in the world's arsenal and not move it's orbit a foot.

The moon is more than large enough. It is larger than some planets. If it were in an orbit of it's own, it would be easily classed as a planet. It't surface area is larger than Africa and some of you are worried about dropping something the mass of a Ford F-350 on it's surface.

Grow a mental pair people. This piece of the sky isn't falling.

Oh no,its going to be raining cheese tomorrow once the moon explodes!!!:rolleyes:

dookie1481
10-10-09, 00:20
http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/8910/mooninitesexplosioncopy.jpg

Well played, sir

thopkins22
10-10-09, 01:02
Laugh, but don't you dare jump at night. We wouldn't want to knock the earth out of orbit.:cool:

Lumpy196
10-10-09, 11:27
Wow. This board actually managed to go a LONG time without any serious mental cases showing up.

Heavy Metal
10-10-09, 14:01
Except the Centaur rocket that NASA launched is actually made of blended metal... According to Stan Bulmer, the entire moon will simultaneously both disintegrate and be completely unharmed by the impact.

But by opening the moon's box, you will collapse the wave function and only one of the two outcomes will be observed.

Even Stan Bulmer cannot out-smart Schrodigner.

PMcMullen
10-10-09, 15:48
But by opening the moon's box, you will collapse the wave function and only one of the two outcomes will be observed.

Obscure... but funny! :)

ToddG
10-11-09, 13:41

Well, he tries to make people believe he can. But actually, he just uses two different cats.

Heavy Metal
10-11-09, 13:49
Well, he tries to make people believe he can. But actually, he just uses two different cats.

And kills them both with giant hairballs o' hype.

cevtv
10-11-09, 14:06

But, what about Space 1999????? You mean TV lied??? :eek:

Heavy Metal
10-11-09, 14:27
But, what about Space 1999????? You mean TV lied??? :eek:

And the Neverending Story actually had an end...........:(

geminidglocker
10-11-09, 14:29
Wow. This board actually managed to go a LONG time without any serious mental cases showing up.
Like the one in your avatar. "You talkin' to me?":D