PDA

View Full Version : Ride Home From Work Gets Unruly In Franklin TN (Tenn. Handgun Permit Holder)

TMMT
10-08-09, 23:08
Ride Home From Work Gets Unruly In Franklin

http://www.newschannel5.com/Global/story.asp?S=11285124

FRANKLIN, Tenn. - Franklin police said a case of road rage happened at the merge on Highway 96 east, just past Mack Hatcher Parkway in Franklin. A man flashed a gun at another driver as he was stopped in traffic.

"Driving down 96, I was on my way home from work," said road rage victim Christian Jandreski.

The road is part of the daily commute for thousands of people in Franklin, and the reason for a few headaches.

"We were already in one lane, no traffic was moving," said Jandreski.

The merge at Mack Hatcher and Highway 96 east is notorious for traffic troubles, and for a case of road rage.

"It took me off guard, definitely," said Jandreski.

Jandreski was sitting in a long line of cars when he said Eric Edwards pulled up alongside him on the shoulder.

"He flashed his pistol, I guess, to let him in front of me. I mean, I let him in front of me," said Jandreski.

Jandreski quickly called 911 to report the road rage.

"Dispatch made me follow him, you know. I mean Franklin cops were on it. They got him within a mile, surrounded him, guns drawn," said Jandreski.

Franklin police caught up with Edwards on Columbia Avenue, and said he was wearing a revolver in a shoulder holster. That was not all officers came across.

"We searched the vehicle. We found a shotgun, a rifle along with various ammunition for guns in the car," said Charlie Warner, Franklin Police Department.

Edwards had three weapons in his car, little did he know, Christian Jandreski was also packing heat.

"Thought about putting it in my lap, but it wasn't necessary," said Jandreski.

Police prevailed ready to act.

"One thing in this scenario changes and it all becomes a recipe for disaster," said Warner.

Both men do have Tennessee handgun carry permits. Eric Edwards got his in June and Thursday, the Department of Public Safety suspended that permit.

NewsChannel 5 did go to Edwards' Spring Hill home Thursday evening to try and get his side of the story. A woman who answered the door said he had no comment.

Franklin police charged Edwards with aggravated assault. He's out of jail on $7,500 bond. He'll have his first court appearance later this month.

sandman99and9
10-09-09, 13:20
I just drove on that road monday before I flew back to orlando !! Stopped by a friends work in franklin to say hi on my way home.

S.M.

Mac5.56
10-09-09, 13:38
But I thought all CC permit holders were responsible law abiding citizens that should be allowed to do whatever they want with their guns?

threebanger
10-09-09, 13:39
*sigh* stupid is as stupid does. I'm glad the victim kept his cool & did the right thing or it could have turned out much worse.

Argus
10-09-09, 20:02
But I thought all CC permit holders were responsible law abiding citizens that should be allowed to do whatever they want with their guns?

The majority of CCW permit holders are responsible law abiding citizens. Those who aren't probably weed themselves out pretty quickly. 3 months in the case of this bozo.

Mac5.56
10-09-09, 20:28
I'm not disagreeing with you, but this example is one of the reasons I fall on the end of no CCW in bars, a discussion that has been going on in this forum for several months now.

BiggLee71
10-09-09, 20:53
There will always be a few rotten apples whose stupidity ruins things for the rest of us.Glad the situation turned out the way it did and hopefully as a result,this moron wont be waving anymore guns around.

BBsound
10-09-09, 21:16
I'm not disagreeing with you, but this example is one of the reasons I fall on the end of no CCW in bars, a discussion that has been going on in this forum for several months now.

"bars" and Olive Garden are two different things.

Outlander Systems
10-09-09, 21:46
I grew up in Franklin.

I'm happy that the situation ended positively.

Mac5.56
10-09-09, 22:13
"bars" and Olive Garden are two different things.

I don't want to re-ignite the conversation, your point has been talked about multiple times. I'm just pointing out that this example here is that not everyone with a pistol permit is a glowing gem of good behavior. Also that people are subject to their emotions, and not everyone deals with every situation rationally.

After my first experience tonight with a firearm safety class for the purpose of state certification (literally, I have never had one before, I'm from WY), I can tell you that it doesn't seem like it takes much to get through these classes and certified.

Argus
10-10-09, 14:02
I don't want to start an old argument back up either, but I'd like to make one quick point. Responsible and safe gun handling isn't rocket science. This guy's problem wasn't lack of education, but lack of common sense and self-discipline. He apparently saw his concealed carry permit as a certificate appointing him lord and guardian of the highway. I'm not sure a more rigorous CCW class would have addressed that.

There are people out there that have no business owning a gun. There are people out there (like this guy) who shouldn't have a CCW. There are also many people out there who have no business being behind the wheel. But I think that's the cost of living in a free(ish) society. The default position should be liberty. Similar to "innocent until proven guilty", citizens should be assumed to be trustworthy and responsible until they prove themselves otherwise.

Anyway, seems like this one ended okay.

Left Sig
10-11-09, 10:30

Indiana has CCW in bars and it has not caused any problems at all. You can go with presumptions about what you think might happen, or you can examine facts based on real world experience.

Failure2Stop
10-11-09, 10:53
There are some people that should not be allowed to possess firearms.
Or drive.
Or have children.
Or consume oxygen.

Unfortunately the indications of these issues are not usually visibly evident so you have the choice of permitting pretty much everyone with the ability to appear sane and fill out paperwork with the ability to legally carry a firearm or you restrict it so tightly that an individual with enough power can easily make it nearly impossible for anyone to gain the certification. Between these two lines lie a lot of stupid people.

It is silly to equate CCW to causing this type of behavior. People that are so blatantly contemptious of the law as to flash a weapon to gain entry into traffic will probably disregard laws against carrying a weapon as well. It's really just one less charge that can be leveled against him.

Mac5.56
10-11-09, 12:47
There are some people that should not be allowed to possess firearms.
Or drive.
Or have children.
Or consume oxygen.

Unfortunately the indications of these issues are not usually visibly evident so you have the choice of permitting pretty much everyone with the ability to appear sane and fill out paperwork with the ability to legally carry a firearm or you restrict it so tightly that an individual with enough power can easily make it nearly impossible for anyone to gain the certification. Between these two lines lie a lot of stupid people.

It is silly to equate CCW to causing this type of behavior. People that are so blatantly contemptious of the law as to flash a weapon to gain entry into traffic will probably disregard laws against carrying a weapon as well. It's really just one less charge that can be leveled against him.

I'm not equating CCW to this behavior at all. In fact I'm doing the opposite, I'm using it as an example that all CCW's aren't shinning examples of human beings. I am pointing out that most people are willing to jump down one's throat if you question individuals with CCW, thus doing the exact opposite of what you are accusing me of. All I am saying is rational thought should be used when dealing with individuals, rather then the broad assumption that because someone has a legal pass they are therefore legit.

wargasm
10-11-09, 13:10
An idiot is an idiot! No matter if it a CCW holder, Congressman, Senator, or President!

Left Sig
10-11-09, 13:41
I'm not equating CCW to this behavior at all. In fact I'm doing the opposite, I'm using it as an example that all CCW's aren't shinning examples of human beings. I am pointing out that most people are willing to jump down one's throat if you question individuals with CCW, thus doing the exact opposite of what you are accusing me of. All I am saying is rational thought should be used when dealing with individuals, rather then the broad assumption that because someone has a legal pass they are therefore legit.

The only valid statistic I have seen is that CCW permit holders in general are more law abiding than non-permit holders. I haven't seen any valid assertions that they are perfect, only better.

So if the criminality rate of non-holders is 4%, then for permit holders, 3% criminality would hold the statement true. That means that some permit holders are bad apples, and may do something stupid. But the system will weed them out when they do by revoking the permit when they get caught.

The permit systems in most states already ban felons, domestic abusers, metal defectives, drunk drivers, drug addicts, fugitives, illegal aliens, brandishers, and others prone to illegal behavior. How many more predictive filters do we want to add? Should we have psychological tests and interviews?

Generally, prior behavior is a pretty good indicator of future behavior, so the filters we have in place are more then adequate.

Honu
10-11-09, 13:55
I don't want to re-ignite the conversation, your point has been talked about multiple times. I'm just pointing out that this example here is that not everyone with a pistol permit is a glowing gem of good behavior. Also that people are subject to their emotions, and not everyone deals with every situation rationally.

After my first experience tonight with a firearm safety class for the purpose of state certification (literally, I have never had one before, I'm from WY), I can tell you that it doesn't seem like it takes much to get through these classes and certified.

yet this place was not a bar was it ?

bad people are bad people

in a place like Olive Garden I should be able to protect my family when we go there to eat since its more a place to eat than drink :)

a bad guy who has a permit is still going to do what he is going to do like brandish a firearm in a car ? or in olive garden or safeway parking lot ? so because of a bad guy being a idiot I should be penalized ?

i guess in the above case all permit holders should not be allowed to have a gun in a car ?

I just think permits need to be more scrutinized and maybe sadly have a psych eval tagged on to get one :) to make sure you dont have bipolar people or people with massive rage issues etc.. check medical records to make sure there are no past psych issues

Palmguy
10-11-09, 15:04
I just think permits need to be more scrutinized and maybe sadly have a psych eval tagged on to get one :) to make sure you dont have bipolar people or people with massive rage issues etc.. check medical records to make sure there are no past psych issues

There are certainly left-leaning medical professionals who would argue that anyone who wants to carry a gun outside their home is looking for a fight, mentally deranged, fill-in-any-disparaging-comment-you-want here. Furthermore, when you have equation of possession of a Gadsden flag and potential terrorism by the government, we don't need them having the kind of power you recommend. Hell, there have been issues with service members having issues purchasing guns because of trumped up PTSD issues and such.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." -Jefferson

Mac5.56
10-11-09, 17:09
metal defectives,

What is a "metal defective"?

Heavy Metal
10-11-09, 17:24

Someone who thinks Poison is a metal band.

Honu
10-11-09, 23:21
There are certainly left-leaning medical professionals who would argue that anyone who wants to carry a gun outside their home is looking for a fight, mentally deranged, fill-in-any-disparaging-comment-you-want here. Furthermore, when you have equation of possession of a Gadsden flag and potential terrorism by the government, we don't need them having the kind of power you recommend. Hell, there have been issues with service members having issues purchasing guns because of trumped up PTSD issues and such.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." -Jefferson

very good point :) its a real tough situation and again I guess the way we are better for the honest most of us than the few wacks !

thanks for slapping me back to sanity :) heheehhehe so yup NEVER MIND no psych needed :)

Mac5.56
10-11-09, 23:58
Someone who thinks Poison is a metal band.

that makes sense, but are you for real? Never realized there as a term for that, but that's good!

1859sharps
10-12-09, 00:14

a piece of paper from the government isn't a guarantee of any kind. stupid people and criminals with do stupid and criminal things without or without a government piece of paper.

Left Sig
10-12-09, 03:11

Someone who has been adjudicated as mentally incompetent to handle his/her affairs, or involuntarily committed to a psychiatric facility. You know, the standard question on the BATFE form you fill out every time you buy a firearm. You have filled one of those out before, right?

mjp
10-12-09, 08:24
Someone who has been adjudicated as mentally incompetent to handle his/her affairs, or involuntarily committed to a psychiatric facility. You know, the standard question on the BATFE form you fill out every time you buy a firearm. You have filled one of those out before, right?

you spelled mental wrong, hence poison. :o

Mac5.56
10-12-09, 13:52
you spelled mental wrong, hence poison. :o

:) :)

Left Sig
10-12-09, 17:59
:) :)

Doh!!!