PDA

View Full Version : very odd fouling/ need help from suppressor experts

rrpederson
10-09-09, 10:14
hey m4c people,
need some help from u experts out there. i recently installed an aac m4-2000 on my 10.5" sbr ar-15. i have shot less than 400 rds out of my current setup. less than 600 rds on the upper in total. i have noticed that there is a type of fouling gathering inside the upper receiver that i have never seen before. this fouling does not appear to be the same as the traditional carbon or copper fouling that i have seen in the last 20 yrs of shooting. this fouling is a grey color, appears to have dried as a liquid. it seems to stick to the receiver like paint, but does not respond to hoppes no.9 or brake parts cleaner. in order to remove this fouling, it must be scraped off or scrubbed off with a metal bristled brush.

i have included in this thread, some pictures of what im talking about. ignore the brown liquid, that is hoppes. pay specific attention to the grey parts. the receiver is black. when i bought the suppressor, i knew that the suppressor will increase the amount of fouling and will make the gun dirtier, but is this what happens to all suppressed guns? im kinda stumped here. this is my first suppressor. first time using this particular type of lube, but i have had many rifles in the past. this crap just does not come off unless scraped. im convinced that this can not be normal. any help or ideas will be very much appreciated. thanks in advance.

richie

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t319/rrpederson/015.jpg
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t319/rrpederson/007.jpg
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t319/rrpederson/010.jpg
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t319/rrpederson/011-1.jpg
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t319/rrpederson/012-2.jpg
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t319/rrpederson/013-2.jpg

this is the only lube i have used on this gun.
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t319/rrpederson/016.jpg
could this stuff be residue from the lubricant? i dont see how but i have no other ideas on what it could be.

Todd.K
10-09-09, 10:30
Dry film lube. It's supposed to be there.

Jay Cunningham
10-09-09, 10:35
Why are you using dry film lube on an AR?

rrpederson
10-09-09, 12:59
dry film lube? it doesnt say that on the can. i just figured that it was gun oil like any other gun oil i have used in the past. i have never heard of dry film lube. i must have been living under a rock or something. so how do i get that crap out of the inside of the receiver?

rrpederson
10-09-09, 13:02
Dry film lube. It's supposed to be there.

i bought this upper receiver brand new, unfired. it did not have a grey film inside it before i fired it. how could it have gotten there? no one else has ever had this gun but me.

rrpederson
10-09-09, 13:02
Why are you using dry film lube on an AR?

what exactly is dry film lube?

Jay Cunningham
10-09-09, 13:05
Sorry, I had some reading comprehension issues there. My bad.

Artos
10-09-09, 13:24
weird...I use remoil for certain applications but teflon type would not be my first choice in areas that see such etreme heat.

Are you saying you do not put grease of any kind and only the remoil for all lubrication?? Just a wag here, but I'm thinking you are cooking it.:confused:

Scrape it all off and try another type of lube...there should be some sticky's with other options.

Todd.K
10-09-09, 13:55
The dry film lube is put in by the manufacturer, it is supposed to be there. It is an extra layer of lubrication.
It may not have been noticeable when you first got the upper but it did not come out of your Rem-oil.

Rem-oil is too thin for an AR btw, use CLP.

geminidglocker
10-09-09, 15:11
REM OIL IS CRAP!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Artos
10-09-09, 15:26
The dry film lube is put in by the manufacturer, it is supposed to be there. It is an extra layer of lubrication.
It may not have been noticeable when you first got the upper but it did not come out of your Rem-oil.

Rem-oil is too thin for an AR btw, use CLP.

I was under the impression the mystery stuff kept coming back after it was removed and then shot some more....also only appeared once the can was put on.

rrpederson
10-09-09, 21:59
I was under the impression the mystery stuff kept coming back after it was removed and then shot some more....also only appeared once the can was put on.

well it did only appear after the gun was shot, and lubed with rem-oil. todd k. says that its not from the rem-oil though.

rrpederson
10-09-09, 22:04
my first choice would have been to use the same stuff that the marine corps issues because i know how well it works. my question now is, where is it commercially available?

Artos
10-09-09, 22:06
well it did only appear after the gun was shot, and lubed with rem-oil. todd k. says that its not from the rem-oil though.

Oh, I'm no spert...just going by what I read & going from there. I couldn't imagine any lube being so hard it needed a wire bruch or a dental pick to remove?? It almost looked like JB weld.:)

So are you saying this stuff was not there before you stated using the can. I was / am having a tough time trying to imagine what could turn into that sort of goop from just using remoil.

Hope the mystery is solved!!

rrpederson
10-10-09, 07:39
Oh, I'm no spert...just going by what I read & going from there. I couldn't imagine any lube being so hard it needed a wire bruch or a dental pick to remove?? It almost looked like JB weld.:)

So are you saying this stuff was not there before you stated using the can. I was / am having a tough time trying to imagine what could turn into that sort of goop from just using remoil.

Hope the mystery is solved!!

honestly, i thought the same thing, although not as hard as jb weld, but damned close. i have no idea whats going with this. im not quite convinced that its that dry film lube stuff. although, im no expert either. i dont doubt that the other guys posting are very knowledgeable, it just doesnt sit right with me. i dont know, maybe i will just try to scrub out what i can, and use a different lube and see if that changes things. she still shoots great. makes great groups, but the grey stuff still bothers me. thanks to everyone for offering some info on what could be causing this. i really appreciate how well this site seems to know so much and that the members are awesome. again, thanks.

richie

billybronco
10-10-09, 07:52
me thinks you missed a post bud.

it's part of the overall process of building the gun finalized by the mfg.

my LMT Piston upper has the same "film".

To be honest, I'd quit worrying about it. It isn't a 15,000.00 Blaser side by side.

it's a battle rifle.

the more you go scrubbing and spraying the more damage you're going to cause.

Robb Jensen
10-10-09, 09:41
Shoot it...suppressed guns get very dirty.

For oil/lube I'd recommend Militec-1, Slip2000 EWL, Machinegunners lube/10-8 lube and WeaponShield. I find in suppressed guns WeaponShield burns off the slowest.

rrpederson
10-10-09, 11:29
me thinks you missed a post bud.

it's part of the overall process of building the gun finalized by the mfg.

my LMT Piston upper has the same "film".

To be honest, I'd quit worrying about it. It isn't a 15,000.00 Blaser side by side.

it's a battle rifle.

the more you go scrubbing and spraying the more damage you're going to cause.

i suppose i did. thanks again everybody.

Todd.K
10-12-09, 10:39
Some solvents can make the dry film lube more visible.

If it was some kind of fouling I would expect it to be all over the mags, magwell, BCG, and charging handle.

markm
10-12-09, 10:51
If it was some kind of fouling I would expect it to be all over the mags, magwell, BCG, and charging handle.

Indeed.

The top inch of all of my mag bodies, feed lips, and followers looks like filthy black soup was blasted onto the surface.

JohnVassilakos
10-30-09, 01:17
Indeed.

The top inch of all of my mag bodies, feed lips, and followers looks like filthy black soup was blasted onto the surface.

I thought when I got a gas piston conversion on one of my uppers this was going to all go away when shooting suppressed.

Needless to say, I was sorely disappointed.

The price of silence is a little extra filth....I can live with it.:D

blkexp98
10-31-09, 22:01
I had a LMT upper that i removed a coating VERY similar to that. Im not saying your mistaken but it took about what you said to remove it except i used a plastic brissle brush. Im not sure which solvent i used though. I use 10w 30 mobil 1 oil, gun butter, or miltech 1 for my weapons lube. Rem oil wouldnt even hold up to my 10/22.

On your filth issue all the piston kit does is get rid of the dirt from the gas tube. The bulk of the crap comes from the chamber. Take a look at your brass after shooting suppressed.

I would probably just not worry about it unless its causing an issue and just keep an eye on it. If it gets worse after changing oils it may be worth taking another look at. On my upper i can usually wipe off the carbon pretty easy.

lmt-cazy
11-01-09, 09:23
is that a LMT upper? because inside of my LMT upper looks just like your pictures.