PDA

View Full Version : VLTOR MUR A1 Upper NEW PICS!!!! (chose Vltor) (New paintjob on page 2)

GunLovinTexan
02-23-07, 20:46
First and formost thank you all for welcoming to the forum this is my first thread and first post :cool:

On subject im curiouse to what the thoughts and opinouns are of the 2 diffrent uppers.

one is obviously tried and true the other is a new cool looking.

Which would you pick??

Thank you in advanced Rob.:D

Robb Jensen
02-23-07, 22:48
The VLTOR is straighter, truer and more rigid if that makes any since (the high qualities of billet) vs. a standard mil-spec forged upper by CMT. Both will work very well for most applications.

JaxCatm
02-25-07, 00:30
I just built a carbine and I used a Vltor MUR 1 for my upper reciever. I couldn't be more pleased with it. If you have the money I would recommend the MUR. My only word of caution is selection of a rail system. I went with a Troy free float rail system only to find out the anit rotation pins were set up for a mil spec upper. Not really a big deal just be prepared to remove a little metal with a file.

GunLovinTexan
02-25-07, 00:49
The rails i have for this build are YHM Free floating rails i figured that could be a problem

Thank you in advanced.

Rob

Hoplophile
02-25-07, 06:53
Which would you pick??

Depends on what you're building. If you're using an "accurate" barrel like a Noveske then the more accurately machined MUR makes sense. If you using a "rack grade" barrel then the MUR isn't going to offer much you can use except cool looks.

GunLovinTexan
02-25-07, 09:58
Ill be using a CMMG 16 inch midlength barrel. However i have not decided on the conture i want for the barrel. Im stuck between Govt Profile and Medcon barrel. Not exactly the most demanding precision barrel but i dont like Noveske barrels because of the color, if they were black id buy them.

the other problem with the MUR upper is finding them instock.

Rob Thanks everyone.

Robb Jensen
02-25-07, 10:09
Ill be using a CMMG 16 inch midlength GOVT profile barrel. Not exactly the most demanding precision barrel but i dont like Noveske barrels because of the color, if they were black id buy them.

the other problem with the MUR upper is finding them instock.

Rob Thanks everyone.

For that application it'll really be overkill, but if you like the look go for it. The Noveske barrels as well as any barrel can be sprayed with GunKote or Norrels in black.

If you true up the front end of a CMT receiver with a lapping tool and some other tricks you can get some extreme accuracy of of a mil-spec CMT receiver and if you're using a scope mount like an Armalite or Larue it'll help you even more.

This upper (which I didn't lap, nor do any other tricks on) shoots .220" groups at 100yds with reloaded BH 60gr V-MAX. It's just a standard 'Wilson' stainless barrel in 1x9 twist with a .223 Rem chamber. I can't remember if it's a Bushy or RRA upper receiver.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/peteshootinghis20ar.jpg

C4IGrant
02-25-07, 10:57
The VLTOR is straighter, truer and more rigid if that makes any since (the high qualities of billet) vs. a standard mil-spec forged upper by CMT. Both will work very well for most applications.

Agree. They are one of the very best upper receivers on the market to date.

C4

Sid Post
02-25-07, 12:18
In the Vltor vs. Larue Tactical comparison, is there any reason to prefer one over the other?

Robb Jensen
02-25-07, 12:21
In the Vltor vs. Larue Tactical comparison, is there any reason to prefer one over the other?

In real world uses....no. Pretty much just looks.

SuicideHz
02-25-07, 12:57
Rob-

You know me as C. Whorley from 1911forms- how ya been?

So you're building an AR? I thought for sure your next would be another POF!

Did I ever show you a pic of my Rifle over there? It's got the Mur-1.

GunLovinTexan
02-25-07, 14:50
DUDE!!! C.Whorley, I have steered away from POF in the past months (2 months to be exact) due to QC issues. 2 friends and i all are having issues with new uppers (all second generation) mine in particular is under 200 rounds. My first generation POF is still running 100%.

I never did see pics of your rig but would very much like too.

id rather overkill the underkill. Looks like ill be trying to find a dealer that has the VLTOR MUR instock.
Rob

GunLovinTexan
02-25-07, 19:35
HERE IS MY LOWER!!!!!

Lower is a CMMG Lower with a Choate machine and tool stock (should have gottin the LMT stock) it also features a Magpul MIAD grip.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w220/GunLovinTexan/MYNEWLOWER003.jpg

can you tell whats missing?

SuicideHz
02-26-07, 18:20
I WAS using the same name there but was banned for some reason...

I knew you'd eat your words for raving about the POFs sooooo much. They aren't that darn great...

http://suicidehz.zoto.com/img/800x600x1/d410c4d027a8b408dbb90b92f5169591-.jpg

http://suicidehz.zoto.com/img/800x600x1/ddfbe79add8a5d744d101c2deb6b2656-.jpg

Yeah, I'm an attention whore but someone had to fill in since the usual attention whore won't post an Vltor upper...

vinesr6
02-26-07, 20:06
Okay you got me....

Joe where in the heck did you get that DD rail? Or did you have someone cut it?

SuicideHz
02-26-07, 20:25
I didn't have anyone cut it especially for me if that's what you are thinking.

Frankly, I was very tempted to let it go at that since you didn't give me enough credit to think I might have enough ability to handle that task myself.

I did the cutting and grinding myself and Jay refinished it for me months later after the original tan DC wasn't holding up to the abuse the KAC clips put the leading edges through.

http://suicidehz.zoto.com/img/800x600x1/0c66a76cb11f92cdcb210f9354b70b35-.jpg

GunLovinTexan
02-27-07, 00:03
I still Love POF rifles and still shoot both of mine, (i think i got my newer upper to run) when they run they run forever and dont quit.

Nice lower id love to find one locally

How does the weight differ from the VLTOR and the CMT upper?

Voodoochild
02-27-07, 17:15
http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/4000/1000070un8ba9.jpg

CMT upper on my Middy Terrorist Rifle. My thoughts are like this. Is the VLTOR upper nice Yup but for 229 you can get a K of 223/5.56 ammo or 2k of 9mm ammo. Just my 2 cents

GunLovinTexan
02-27-07, 18:48
how do you like the MAGPUL CTR stock????? been thinking about getting one of those as well....

the VLTOR has feed ramps right??? so i need the barrel with the m4 extensions?

Voodoochild
02-27-07, 19:02
Love the CTR stock it is very nice and worth it. Bought it from AIM surplus the same folks that sell ammo. Over all much better than the stock butt stock.

SuicideHz
02-27-07, 22:15
AIM? Damn. Buy that type of stuff from the guys that support this board! :p

For $229 you can get a case of ammo but you won't have an upper. A plain upper will cost you $100, right?

Yes, the VLTOR upper is cut for feedramps. I think now any decent barrel you will be looking at for use with the MUR will probably be offered with the M4 cuts.

I don't think there is any significant weight difference even though the MUR looks blocky and bulkier.

GunLovinTexan
02-27-07, 23:16
SAWEET thankx C.Whorley. Thanks to the rest of you gentlemen so kind to respond to my thread.

I will post pics when shes DONE!!!
Rob

Voodoochild
02-28-07, 17:47
AIM? Damn. Buy that type of stuff from the guys that support this board! :p

For $229 you can get a case of ammo but you won't have an upper. A plain upper will cost you $100, right?

Yes, the VLTOR upper is cut for feedramps. I think now any decent barrel you will be looking at for use with the MUR will probably be offered with the M4 cuts.

I don't think there is any significant weight difference even though the MUR looks blocky and bulkier.

I buy a bunch of stuff from Grant and other 's that support this board. I just bought the CTR from aim because I was buying ammo from them.

SuicideHz
02-28-07, 17:50
I-C. Usually I don't expect to save on shipping or anything when buying ammo because the ammo usually comes in it's own box. Just curious...

GunLovinTexan
03-01-07, 15:06
Well i orderd the rest of the parts for my upper so i hope they are all in stock..

I orderd from BravoCompanyusa.com GandRtactical.Com and CMMGinc.com

I beilive GandRtactical are on this forum??? im new and havnt learned everyone yet, i orderd them primarly because i happen to see the link somewhere clicked on it and it had exactly what i needed but didnt tell me if its in stock or not so we will see.

I opted and went for the VLTOR.

Thanx for tall the help everyone.

SuicideHz
03-01-07, 17:51
The "G" of G and R is Grant- the person who runs this site.

C4IGrant
03-01-07, 18:05
The "G" of G and R is Grant- the person who runs this site.

Actually the mods/staff/admin run the site. The "G" just kind of hangs out. :D

C4

SuicideHz
03-01-07, 18:07
Well, was going to say "own" but I heard there were outside investors.

GunLovinTexan
03-01-07, 21:18
Oh Sweet! Grant i picked up a M16 BCG and spare bolt from you :D.

Rob

GunLovinTexan
03-06-07, 17:08
heres is some pics :)

Grant your order will be here tommrow :D

then the wait for barrel starts :eek: :(

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c348/Bizkets/SeniorPics003.jpg

VLTOR uppe, mid length gas tubes, PRI MSTN brake from BCM.

SuicideHz
03-06-07, 19:12
What BUIS do you have there Rob?

Whatever it is, looks awfully far back or on backwards...

I'm not gonna stop giving you shit just because you came over here!

GunLovinTexan
03-06-07, 19:38
Thats the Tac Latch buddy

Rob

SuicideHz
03-06-07, 20:38
Thats the Tac Latch buddy

Rob

Damn. Looks like it's made to take down airplanes!!

Next time you want to buy something, start a thread!!

Shoulda gone with PRI :p

GunLovinTexan
03-06-07, 20:44
LOL hey the muzzel break is a PRI....Ill probley end up getting the PRI at a later time.

Rob

GunLovinTexan
03-07-07, 11:56
I painted up my lower check it out!!

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p195/Rmiksits/My%20new%20Gun/PaintedLower003.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p195/Rmiksits/My%20new%20Gun/PaintedLower004.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p195/Rmiksits/My%20new%20Gun/PaintedLower002.jpg

Im still working on the red for Fire i got the wrong red its not bright enough. White sure does look good though!

shark31
03-07-07, 12:58
I didn't have anyone cut it especially for me if that's what you are thinking.

Frankly, I was very tempted to let it go at that since you didn't give me enough credit to think I might have enough ability to handle that task myself.

I did the cutting and grinding myself and Jay refinished it for me months later after the original tan DC wasn't holding up to the abuse the KAC clips put the leading edges through.

http://suicidehz.zoto.com/img/800x600x1/0c66a76cb11f92cdcb210f9354b70b35-.jpg

Would you please tell me where you got that front sight post. I need an F marked one for a friend's build that is secured by set screws.

SuicideHz
03-08-07, 20:51
It came with the barrel!

ADCO.

Actually, you should be able to take a standard F marked FSB that had decently drilled taper pin holes, drill them to a little bit larger size and tap them.

Otherwise, I'd ask Steve.