PDA

View Full Version : slide release manipulation help

vodomagoo
10-09-09, 21:38
I had my girlfriend at the range today and normally she has no problem when a gun locks back since she will slingshot the slide over using the slide release until today.

I picked up a kahr PM9 and it is recommended by them that you release the slide via the slide release on the first round and her right thumb just does not reach it enough to release it. Would it be bad practice for her to release it with her support hand or is there a better method? BUG's are pretty new to me so I don't know what the correct answer is here

Mr. Smith
10-09-09, 21:52
support hand thumb is the correct answer it is the most used.

SUPERIOR FIREARMS LLC.
5510 fern valley RD STE102
Louisville KY. 40228
502-365-2244

Heavy Metal
10-09-09, 22:40
I had my girlfriend at the range today and normally she has no problem when a gun locks back since she will slingshot the slide over using the slide release until today.

I picked up a kahr PM9 and it is recommended by them that you release the slide via the slide release on the first round and her right thumb just does not reach it enough to release it. Would it be bad practice for her to release it with her support hand or is there a better method? BUG's are pretty new to me so I don't know what the correct answer is here

Use the thumb of your support hand. It is there when you do a reload anyway.

YVK
10-09-09, 23:17
Just out of curiosity: if you do slingshot that slide, does it chamber the round?

Alpha Sierra
10-10-09, 08:34
Just out of curiosity: if you do slingshot that slide, does it chamber the round?

Yes, why would it not? The slide "slingshots" itself every time a round is discharged.

If anything, pulling back sharply and releasing the slide the instant it stops moving gives the slide a little more momentum since you are compressing the recoil spring just a tad bit more to lift the slide off the slide stop.

It goes without saying that whatever she does, she must not try to ride her hand on the slide as it closes.

YVK
10-10-09, 09:48
Yes, why would it not? The slide "slingshots" itself every time a round is discharged.

It sometimes doesn't happen because some pistols, usually short framed ones, may not have enough rearward slide travel to release it from slidelock position. Kahrs and short-format Baers have been reported to do this. Full-sized Kimbers, if fitted with a shock buff, are notorious for that; I can personally attest to it as I owned one.

BTW, this little tidbit puts a dent in statement that slingshot or overhand slide release are "universal" methods allowing to release the slide on all pistols. They aren't, while dropping slide using a slide stop - on pistols equipped with one - is in fact a universal slide release technique. I honestly do not want to derail this thread into another "slide stop vs. slingshot vs. overhand"; this was just an FYI..

To OP: the reason I asked this was that if your particular Kahrs does drop the slide 100% of time when you slingshot it, I don't see why you would have to change your/your girlfriend's technique, unless you just wanted to.

cpekz
10-10-09, 10:44
It sometimes doesn't happen because some pistols, usually short framed ones, may not have enough rearward slide travel to release it from slidelock position. Kahrs and short-format Baers have been reported to do this. Full-sized Kimbers, if fitted with a shock buff, are notorious for that; I can personally attest to it as I owned one.

BTW, this little tidbit puts a dent in statement that slingshot or overhand slide release are "universal" methods allowing to release the slide on all pistols. They aren't, while dropping slide using a slide stop - on pistols equipped with one - is in fact a universal slide release technique. I honestly do not want to derail this thread into another "slide stop vs. slingshot vs. overhand"; this was just an FYI..

To OP: the reason I asked this was that if your particular Kahrs does drop the slide 100% of time when you slingshot it, I don't see why you would have to change your/your girlfriend's technique, unless you just wanted to.

I had no idea about some guns not responding to the 'universal' overhand/slingshot method. I was under the impression that all semi-auto's were designed to be released that way. Thanks for sharing that bit of info.

Alpha Sierra
10-10-09, 14:40
It sometimes doesn't happen because some pistols, usually short framed ones, may not have enough rearward slide travel to release it from slidelock position.

I see what you mean now. The way you worded your question it seemed that you were asking if the slide would not strip a cartridge off the magazine when pulled and released vs. just dropping the slide stop.

vodomagoo
10-10-09, 19:52
The explanation of kahr is that by pulling it back and letting it go there is a chance it might not go fully into battery. Also there is a feature of the pm-9 that it can't be released via the slide release easily without anything in the mag. This doesn't bother me much since I dont want to slam it on an empty chamber on this small gun.

Its a great shooting gun but I think for simplicity sake she will carry a 642 since she is use to manipulating a glock and this gun confused here and clearing a malfunction might be a little slow due to the heavy heavy spring. I love the gun and will carry it gladly.

DZL HOG
10-10-09, 21:39
The PM9 definitely prefers to chamber a round by releasing the lock instead of sling shot.

Ive got a little over 1K rounds through mine. I can sling shot mine just fine if I snap it hard and dont ride the slide. If if I ride the slide even slightly it may not go into battery completely. So its best practice to use the slide release whenever possible.

jtb0311
10-11-09, 03:45
support hand thumb is the correct answer it is the most used.

This is a good answer.

JiMfraRED1911
10-11-09, 23:37
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=32267&page=2

Hat Creek
10-13-09, 19:10
Nothing like having a variety of techniques to accomplish the same task, under stress, when one's life may depend on the outcome.

I'd view this as a shortcoming on the Kahr, enough so as to get it out of consideration for personal defense.