PDA

View Full Version : FDLE releases report detailing shootings of 2 deputies

Don Robison
10-10-09, 01:05
For those of you who believe that anything with a 4 in it is a death ray it will be an eye opener. This guy took 17 rounds of .40 and .45 his injuries included a collapsed lung and what some people consider show stoppers like a round at the base of his penis and pelvic girdle and was still fighting until he ended his own life. His tox report was negative for and drugs and alcohol.
The official report, scanner tape and photos are linked within the news story.

This happened about 4.5 miles from my house; my family knew all three involved. My daughter graduated high school with the scum bag and Deputy York was my wife's supervisor for two years before he retired from active duty.

http://www.nwfdailynews.com/news/today-21403-york-expected.html

FDLE releases report detailing shootings of 2 deputies ( with REPORT, SCENE VIDEO and PHOTOS )

October 09, 2009 7:43 PM

Robbyn Brooks and Tom McLaughlin
Daily News
Okaloosa County Sheriff’s Deputy Burt Lopez was killed by a shot to the head from the service pistol of fellow deputy Warren “Skip” York, according to a state attorney’s office report on the two deputies’ deaths April 25.
Joshua Cartwright, who later killed York with a shot to the back of the head, picked up the gun after York dropped it, presumably after he had been shot at least once.
York may have been wounded almost immediately after he and Lopez were surprised when Cartwright pulled a gun, reached behind his head and began firing at a shooting range near Crestview.
Read the FDLE report »
See photos of the scene »
Hear to Walton County scanner traffic the day of the shooting »
Watch a video from the Walton County scene »
Listen to EMS radio traffic the day of the shooting »
The state attorney’s office report was based on findings of a Florida Department of Law Enforcement investigation. It chronicles the events that started with Cartwright killing York and Lopez and ended with a furious shootout with lawmen in Walton County. It exonerates Walton lawmen who fired on Cartwright during the final act of the bloody affair. Cartwright took 17 bullets in the gunfights with York and Lopez and then with Walton sheriff’s deputies and DeFuniak Springs police. He also suffered numerous injuries when he wrecked his pickup truck. However, he ultimately died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head, the state attorney’s office said.
The report ends the months-long investigation, according to interim Sheriff Ed Spooner. He said there are too many conflicting witness reports and possible scenarios for how the two deputies might have died to determine definitively whether procedures could have been followed that would have prevented the deaths. “There’s a lot we don’t know and a lot we’ll never know,” Spooner said. “We’ve got no in-car video, no consistent witness statements and no one to tell us if any violations of department policy were committed.” “What we do know is that a very violent individual killed two very good men and those men fought a valiant fight and died a hero’s death,” he added. Spooner said the FDLE did determine that when York and Lopez confronted Cartwright at a firing range near Crestview, they assumed an “L position,” which put one man in front of the suspect and another to the side. Witnesses reported Lopez had his Taser drawn and said York had his hand on either his gun or his handcuffs. Cartwright was wanted on a domestic violence complaint. His battered wife had told officers her husband “was in possession of multiple firearms and knives,” the report said. But Cartwright’s wife unknowingly sent officers looking for the wrong vehicle. According to the FDLE’s findings, Lopez and York had already been to Shoal River Sporting Clays once that morning looking for Cartwright. They returned later and spotted Cartwright. Spooner said York and Lopez, armed with a Taser, appear to have prepared for a non-lethal confrontation with Cartwright. Cartwright had no visible guns, Spooner added. After being Tasered, Cartwright, who the report said had a rifle, a shotgun and two pistols at the range, including one “strapped to his thigh in a tactical-type holster” pulled a weapon. Information released Thursday said he shot at Lopez first and then began shooting over the back of his head at York. Spooner said several theories have been raised as to how many times York was shot in the initial hail of gunfire, but in the end he suffered bullet wounds to his right shoulder, right arm and left forearm. None of those wounds were life-threatening, according to the Medical Examiner. He was also shot twice in areas protected by his vest. Lopez positioned himself at the front of a patrol car and Cartwright moved to the back of the same car. Gunfire was exchanged and Lopez was knocked to the ground by a bullet that hit his left shoulder. “Deputy Lopez was able to communicate over the radio he had been shot and continued to exchange gunfire with Cartwright,” the report said. “Cartwright eventually approached Deputy Lopez and shot him in the head.” Lopez’s body was found near the patrol car. York is unaccounted for during the shootout between Lopez and Cartwright, Spooner said. Witnesses said they eventually saw him running toward the passenger side of Cartwright’s truck. It is unknown whether when he entered the passenger door to try to stop Cartwright or simply to find shelter, Spooner said. “Witnesses heard gunshots and saw the passenger window shatter,” the report said. “Cartwright came around the vehicle, slammed the door shut, got in the driver’s seat and left.” “Deputy York’s body was found near the area where the passenger door of Cartwright’s vehicle had been positioned.” He had suffered a fourth gunshot, this time a mortal head wound. Cartwright then headed east on U.S. Highway 90 in his pickup truck, where a Walton deputy spotted him and began pursuit. Cartwright exchanged fire with deputies and dodged two sets of spike strips on his way into DeFuniak Springs. While he was avoiding a third set of strips, he nearly ran over a lawman who fired at Cartwright’s truck. A DeFuniak Springs police officer finally ran his vehicle into the truck, causing it to overturn several times. The truck smashed into the top of a patrol car and landed on its roof. “All witnesses, law enforcement and civilian” said after the wreck that Cartwright “began shooting at the deputies who pursued him.” Several patrol vehicles were struck by bullets from Cartwright’s guns, the report said. The gunfight lasted 11 seconds. However, it was a self-inflicted shot to the head from his own Ruger 9 mm that killed him, according to the Medical Examiner. All officers involved “shot at Cartwright after he shot at them, and had every reason to defend themselves and others from Cartwright’s actions,” the report said.

bkb0000
10-10-09, 04:52
whats a "C70L cartridge casing?"

RogerinTPA
10-10-09, 08:40
Interesting in that he took so many rounds without going down, but there are numerous cases in that regard. I'd love to see the autopsy report to see where all those rounds hit. It's a little late, but Prayers sent to the officers involved and their families.

Palmguy
10-10-09, 09:02
I remember that day vividly...very sad.

I suppose we likely live in the same town, Don.

LockenLoad
10-10-09, 09:14
the only thing I will say is if I am going to pick up a known felon at the gun range been told he has guns, my taser is not going to be what I have drawed, and he better get face down quick and not make any moves, how did they not see the holster? I am not a LEO just wanted that to be clear

Don Robison
10-10-09, 09:24
I'd love to see the autopsy report to see where all those rounds hit.

It's on page 14 in the FDLE report link.

I suppose we likely live in the same town, Don.

We do, a friend of mine from P'Cola has bought some stuff from you I believe.

RogerinTPA
10-10-09, 10:03
About half way down in the FDLE report link is the autopsy report details on the bullet wounds.

Thanks donr. I never clicked on the link to the article, just read the post. Very interesting read.

R/Tdrvr
10-10-09, 10:11
Very sad. :( My condolences to the families of the deputies.

But....
To back up what Lockenload posted, why would they approach a guy that has been reported by his wife (who he just beat up) to have "multiple guns and knives" with just a taser drawn? Bad tactics. IMO, too many LEOs have a misconception that ALL bad guys will just give up peacefully when they show up. Maybe 9 times out of 10 that happens, but all it takes is that one that says "**** you cop".

YVK
10-10-09, 10:31
"One bullet struck the sternum.." This is as COM hit as it gets.

Very sad indeed.

Kentucky Cop
10-10-09, 10:35
Thats horrible. I am at a lost for words. I spent the last 30 or so minutes reading and watching everything on the site. The radio traffic would send chills thru any LEO. Wishing all involved the very best from my family to theirs. :(