PDA

View Full Version : Something followed me home, too.

LOKNLOD
02-23-07, 21:07
Sorry for the thread title rip-off, Hawkeye ;)

I'm gonna need some better sights and grip tape, stat!

http://home.off-road.com/~loknlod/G34.jpg

DrMark
02-23-07, 23:19
Whew...

For a minute I thought...

nevermind.

:)

M4arc
02-24-07, 05:59
Hey, I like it! :D

Robb Jensen
02-24-07, 07:26
I know my way around one of those. I won a G32, G34 and a G35 in 2005 but ended up selling the G34 & G35. I used to shoot the G34 in Production in 2005, (shot Limited in 2006 with a STI) but this year I'll be shooting Production again but with my S&W M&P9.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/HiteHollow01-01-06331.jpg

Dport
02-24-07, 07:56
Sorry the "followed me home" theme is exclusive to the M&P disease going around.:D

JAYTEAM
02-24-07, 09:34
Sorry the "followed me home" theme is exclusive to the M&P disease going around.:D

I must of had all of my shots... I definately don't have the MP disease. I personally think a guy can solve just about all of his handgun needs with a good 1911 and a 9mm Glock. That is just my .02. Take it for what it is worth.

Jay

Robb Jensen
02-24-07, 10:12
I must of had all of my shots... I definately don't have the MP disease. I personally think a guy can solve just about all of his handgun needs with a good 1911 and a 9mm Glock. That is just my .02. Take it for what it is worth.

Jay

Good advice. You should use what works best for you. Adversely, if you don't try different/new things you won't ever know what best for you really is. Don't buy a M&P because it's a good gun for some, buy it if you shoot it better than anything else and it's comfortable to shoot, runs well etc. I'll be using a Glock 17 at my Vickers AK class in a few weeks, not because I don't want to use the M&P but simply because I don't have a 6004 for one yet. The Glock will serve me well. The spare pistol will be a Glock 19.

I'm a competition shooter and I find that I shoot my M&P9 just as fast and accurately as my $2400 STI .40 2011 Limited gun and quite a bit faster and more accurately than with my Glock 17. That's not to say everyone will experience this. This is just my experience thus far. I shoot roughly 15K rounds of pistol ammo per year lately, and yes I could buy more ammo with the money saved with not buying M&Ps (to keep shooting the Glock 17 instead) but I really don't have much more time to shoot more than that so nothing for me would be gained in that other than just having more ammo laying around. The money saved wouldn't gain me more time to shoot. YMMV.

I've been shooting a Glock 17 since 1987 and a 1911 since 1975. I still own both and always will, I like multiple flavors of Kool-Aid. ;)

Accuracy is great, but speed with the exact same or even better accuracy is better still. The timer doesn't lie.

"Time is life!"--Travis of SDI Tactical (aka SimplyDynamic)

"It's not the arrows, It's the indian"--anonymous

But I like to add think that a wise well trained indian knows his own level of skill, his limitations and what works best for him. Some don't know their own level of skill and training, and many don't know what is best themselves.

LOKNLOD
02-24-07, 10:30
Okay, okay so the thread title was intentionally deceptive :p

LOKNLOD
02-24-07, 11:10
You know, there's a lot of good natured ribbing going back and forth between the M&P guys and the Glock guys. There's also a lot of people who seem genuinely offended by the guys who switch (Jayteam, this is not directed at you, but you and GotM4 brought it to my mind - no offense).

Fact is, Glocks are great pistols with a proven track record of being excellent fighting guns. M&Ps are quickly showing that they've got many of the same traits only with better (for some) ergonomics and are gaining ground fast for good reason.

GotM4 is right, you gotta go with what works for you, and be willing to try new things. On the other hand, if you are constantly caught up in chasing the new "best thing", you never get a chance to really master anything you get your hands on. How many guys over at TOS spend more time in the EE trading parts out than they do out shooting? There's a happy medium somewhere in between them and the guy who insists his '03 Springfield is all the combat weapon he'll ever need.

For me, I've already got holsters for Glocks. And magazines for Glocks (this could become a big issue soon). And my wife has a G17 that she shoots well, and I like having the same platform across the board - the only part that's not interchangable among the pistols in my house right now would be if I tried to use the G17 barrel in my 34 slide. Everything else would swap out, which is cool. If I tried to make a switch to M&Ps right now, I'd lose enough $$ on the deal to buy another pistol. I'm hemorrhaging enough cash on a daily basis these days already. Switching just wouldn't be smart for me. I think with all the money I've lost on trading guns and gear over the past few years, I could have just kept my plain old Colt and sent it off to one of the custom guys.

Plus, I know not many gun guys want to admit this, but I suck with pistols. My pistol-shooting abilities are not limited in any way by the Glocks. I am really focusing on the fundamentals, and I'm getting better, but I'm not having any issues with the Glock that the M&P will magically fix for me. This little (very pale) Indian just needs to buy more arrows and keep his bow.

JAYTEAM
02-24-07, 21:48
Yeah, I was just stating what works for me. I honestly don't care what other people carry, and I realize how easy it is to get caught up in every "next big thing" that comes out. I was one of the people who bought a G37 and an XD45 when they came out. I don't have a problem trying new things. I have a Sig 228 that sometimes gives me fits in choosing between it and my G19. It just always seems like I always choose a full size 1911 and a Glock 19 as my "go to" sidearms at the end of the day.

Jay

Matt Edwards
02-25-07, 09:56
LOCNLOD,
Good post. I got a hold of my M&P with a trade and had a great deal. I think as soon as the durbility thing shakes out, it may be the gun. However, when I got the M&P, I originally was there to get a Glock 22. I traded another gun for that the next week. At the end of the day, as you stated, I have all the support equipment for the Glock and would not have obtained the M&P if it did not come with it's own. My M&P is now hanging out in the bottom of my safe. I have my time tested 1911 or Glock on stag. I'm getting a little to long in the tooth to switch all the time and like you said, my shooting with the platforms I have thousands of rounds through leaves much room for improvement. I plan on keeping the M&P, but it is in stand by mode.
Matt

carshooter
02-25-07, 13:17
On the other hand, if you are constantly caught up in chasing the new "best thing", you never get a chance to really master anything you get your hands on. How many guys over at TOS spend more time in the EE trading parts out than they do out shooting? There's a happy medium somewhere in between them and the guy who insists his '03 Springfield is all the combat weapon he'll ever need.

This little (very pale) Indian just needs to buy more arrows and keep his bow.

Excellent post, LOKNLOD.

You hit the nail right on the head. Whether we're discussing black rifle disease, or handguns, new equipment usually isn't the solution.

As much as we all love guns and the newest gun pictures, things really aren't about an equipment race. After much swapping and experimentation, I settled on 1911's in .45, and Glocks in 9mm, too. While I have other (too many, if that's possible) handgun platforms, I seem to shoot those better than some other types. I've felt no need to switch to either XD's or M&P's only because it would mean a significant reinvestment in both holsters and magazines.

I would much rather put my funds towards ammunition.

On a similar note, my highest usage carbine still wears an Aimpoint Comp M2 in an ARMS mount. I lust after both a Larue Mount, and Comp M3's, but I haven't felt the urgent need to upgrade, yet, for similar reasons. I will choose a different mounting platform when I do a new build.

LOKNLOD
02-25-07, 15:48
new equipment usually isn't the solution.

No, but the flipside to my post is that when someone like GotM4 or Hawkeye who is well-versed with his current weapons, finds a marked benefit from switching, then more power to them.

I think we've sufficiently hi-jacked my thread now (mostly me).

Dport
02-25-07, 16:08
I have been shooting Glocks for 9 or 10 years. I don't remember exactly when I bought my first G19. However, since my Glock 19, I bought a Glock 17, Glock 26, Glock 35, and many accessories for the Glock, including a Glock 24C "upper." In that time frame, I bought four other pistols. A Springfield Armory, which I sold with less than 500 rounds through it. A 5.7 for the novelty, I may have 500 rounds through it. A FN HiPower, which probably has 150 rounds through it. And a Browning Pro-9, which has 1500 rounds through it.

In the same time frame I have 10s of thousands of rounds through the Glocks, so I don't think I go chasing around the latest thing.

However, I believe the M&P is both easier to shoot and more accurate than the Glock.