PDA

View Full Version : "Why The Nobel Peace Prize Should Go To Nuclear Weapons"

Slater
10-11-09, 10:33
An unusual view from the Media:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20091011/us_time/08599192955300

bkb0000
10-11-09, 10:44
and if nukes are outlawed someday, only outlaws will have nukes.

what a bite!

good article

Left Sig
10-11-09, 11:46
I read that earlier today. Outstanding point, and so logical it's amazing that so many people don't get it. The post WWII period has been more peaceful and prosperous than any other in history, at least among the major powers, because peace was mandated by the unacceptable losses that would happen with WWIII.

But even if the political rhetoric demands zero nukes, it's never ever going to happen. We will enough of ours to destroy the rest of the world, just not 10 times over.

Nathan_Bell
10-11-09, 11:58
I read that earlier today. Outstanding point, and so logical it's amazing that so many people don't get it. The post WWII period has been more peaceful and prosperous than any other in history, at least among the major powers, because peace was mandated by the unacceptable losses that would happen with WWIII.

But even if the political rhetoric demands zero nukes, it's never ever going to happen. We will enough of ours to destroy the rest of the world, just not 10 times over.

In communicating with a former nuke repairman, he kept the Tridents running, we a frighteningly LOW on nukes already. They are not like a bullet, that once it is made you can count on it from then on. These are some of the most complex machines man has created, and they have a VERY high down % for maintainance. Think space shuttle, not artillery shell.

Rider79
10-11-09, 12:50
Excellent article. Reminds me of an older Marvel Comic, The Nth Man, I don't know if anyone else remembers it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nth_Man:_The_Ultimate_Ninja

Basically, the antagonist, a powerful psychic, eliminates all the nuclear weapons in the world in the name of peace, and World War III immediately breaks out, because the nukes were the only thing keeping the US and USSR from breaking out into all out war.

I know, I'm a nerd.

Spiffums
10-11-09, 21:57
Excellent article. Reminds me of an older Marvel Comic, The Nth Man, I don't know if anyone else remembers it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nth_Man:_The_Ultimate_Ninja

Basically, the antagonist, a powerful psychic, eliminates all the nuclear weapons in the world in the name of peace, and World War III immediately breaks out, because the nukes were the only thing keeping the US and USSR from breaking out into all out war.

I know, I'm a nerd.

Kinda like Dr Manhattan on Watchmen? Just without the blue manhood.

Rider79
10-11-09, 22:12
Kinda like Dr Manhattan on Watchmen? Just without the blue manhood.

No, Dr. Manhattan was the deterrent that the US had in place of nukes. In the original graphic novel, Ozymandias created an alien that attacked NYC, and that united the world against a common enemy, something from another planet. Alfie O'Meagan, the pyschic in Nth Man, made all the nukes disappear with the hope that this would create world peace, but all it did was remove the threat of Mutually Assured Destruction and leave the superpowers open to fight a conventional World War III.