PDA

View Full Version : New product from Boonie Packer

rob_s
10-11-09, 13:53
Dave from Boonie Packer contacted me and asked if I would be interested in T&E-ing one of his new products, as well as his updated Redimag design.

The new product is the Redi-Catch (http://www.redi-mag.com/Shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=31&idcategory=5). It is, in some ways, an answer to the BAD-style levers on the market as well as the long-standing complaint some shooters have had about operating the bolt catch with the Redi-Mag installed.

I just got it installed today and have been fiddling with it a little. It operates in the opposite method of the levers on the market in that you push down on it to lock the bolt open, and it does NOT work to release the bolt. It is strictly an administrative operation and for clearing of malfunctions. Releasing of the bolt is done with the new polymer extended bolt release, also seen in the pictures below.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/website/Redi/DSC_3923.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/website/Redi/DSC_3927.jpg

Protrusion

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/website/Redi/DSC_3931.jpg

Operation

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/website/Redi/DSC_3930.jpg

I'll have more pictures up on my site on installation etc. soon.

Apollo11
10-11-09, 14:24
Thats looks pretty good. It would be nice to lock open and shut the bolt with this, like the BAD. With my Redi-Mag, I don't think I can install the BAD, so this my be as good as it gets with my set up. How hard was it to install?

Thanks for posting.

geminidglocker
10-11-09, 14:33
That looks like the ticket for me.

Fireglock
10-11-09, 16:19
Thats looks pretty good. It would be nice to lock open and shut the bolt with this, like the BAD. With my Redi-Mag, I don't think I can install the BAD, so this my be as good as it gets with my set up. How hard was it to install?

Thanks for posting.

Haley always uses a Redimag and a BAD. I doubt there's a reason not to add one, unless you don't want one.

Apollo11
10-11-09, 16:56
Haley always uses a Redimag and a BAD. I doubt there's a reason not to add one, unless you don't want one.

Does he use the Gen I or II? On the one pictured (just like mine) it is the Gen II, IIRC. The mag housing is solid. I am woundering if the solid one would preclude installing the BAD. However, this is a nice second choice.

Fireglock
10-11-09, 17:05
Does he use the Gen I or II? On the one pictured (just like mine) it is the Gen II, IIRC. The mag housing is solid. I am woundering if the solid one would preclude installing the BAD. However, this is a nice second choice.

I believe his is a Gen I. Derek Connor runs one as well but again I don't know if it's a I or II.

Norcal911
10-11-09, 17:29
I just bought and installed a ready mag. Its brand new from BP but I have no idea if its a GenI or GenII. I'm guessing that its a GenII as I just got it and didn't have an option for anything but the quick release. I can't speak specifically on the BAD but I did drop in a similar device (except one piece-replaces entire BHO, not bolt to existing) from phase V tactical. Fit fine with the redi-mag. Can't say the phase V tactical part has been flawless although I do like the design, placement, etc. I'm still working on getting it to reliably hold the my bolt open. Not having the bolt lock back on an empty mag is not acceptable for me on my duty gun.

Anyway, that new part looks pretty cool, that may be the answer to my issues, looks promising. I like the redi-mag a lot but I may go back to a standard BHO and put the plastic extension on that came with the redi-mag. I did have to take the dremel to the redi-mag to get it to clear my MRP upper but I guess there are worse problems in life than being 'stuck' with an MRP-Norcal911

Thomas M-4
10-11-09, 19:55
Looks good cant wait for the full review.

Reddevil
10-11-09, 21:17
I just bought and installed a ready mag. Its brand new from BP but I have no idea if its a GenI or GenII. I'm guessing that its a GenII as I just got it and didn't have an option for anything but the quick release. I can't speak specifically on the BAD but I did drop in a similar device (except one piece-replaces entire BHO, not bolt to existing) from phase V tactical. Fit fine with the redi-mag. Can't say the phase V tactical part has been flawless although I do like the design, placement, etc. I'm still working on getting it to reliably hold the my bolt open. Not having the bolt lock back on an empty mag is not acceptable for me on my duty gun.

Anyway, that new part looks pretty cool, that may be the answer to my issues, looks promising. I like the redi-mag a lot but I may go back to a standard BHO and put the plastic extension on that came with the redi-mag. I did have to take the dremel to the redi-mag to get it to clear my MRP upper but I guess there are worse problems in life than being 'stuck' with an MRP-Norcal911

Phase 5 makes a new V2 with cutouts that may fix your problems. I believe he's taking back the previous versions in exchange for the new ones.

kwrangln
10-12-09, 00:11
Phase 5 makes a new V2 with cutouts that may fix your problems. I believe he's taking back the previous versions in exchange for the new ones.

Not sure if he is doing an across the board swapout or not, but he swapped out mine after I had problems with it holding the bolt open after the last round.

Here's the new version.
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk58/kwrangln/bad24.jpg

Tried it out last Thursday and it performed flawlessly.

I used 6 mags (2-20 rd P-mags, 2-30 rd P-mags, and 2-30 rd aluminum mags), loaded each one with a single round and repeated 5 times each for a total of 30 last round shots. I then started loading 10 per mag for the next 200 rds so another 20 last round shots for a total of 50. Didn't miss a single bolt hold open, so I'm calling it good to go so far.

First version of the EBRv2 was .8 oz, new one is .6 oz. From Rob_S's write up, the bolt on EBR was .7 oz while the BAD was .3 oz (both don't include the weight of the bolt catch itself). None of those weights were taken by me, so I have no idea of the accuracy of the equipment and whatnot, insert standard disclaimer here.

Norcal911
10-12-09, 00:42
Thx for the info guys, just fired off an email, we'll see what they say. I like the part but its gotta be at or near 100%, its my duty rifle. I want it to work, I just got in a bunch of reps with it and really like the way it works, where its positioned, how its made etc. I just keep thinking it needs to be lighter and it looks as if they have already addressed that issue. Works great with my ready mag-Norcal911

Thomas M-4
10-14-09, 09:39
Rob how does it install?
I am assuming that the trigger and hammer pins are fixed to the device.

rob_s
10-14-09, 10:00
Rob how does it install?
I am assuming that the trigger and hammer pins are fixed to the device.

Trigger pin yes, hammer pin is a standalone.

Thomas M-4
10-14-09, 10:28

Roger that thanks rob_s

rkba01
10-14-09, 12:17
Does that mean that it is theoretically possible that if you fall on the right site of the device you can push out the trigger pin? Freak accident, I know. Just curious.

rob_s
10-14-09, 12:23
Does that mean that it is theoretically possible that if you fall on the right site of the device you can push out the trigger pin? Freak accident, I know. Just curious.

No. The trigger pin gets held in by the hammer spring.

Surf
10-14-09, 14:40
Does he use the Gen I or II? On the one pictured (just like mine) it is the Gen II, IIRC. The mag housing is solid. I am woundering if the solid one would preclude installing the BAD. However, this is a nice second choice.Gen I or Gen II has nothing to do with the housing. The Gen I releases the magazine from the magwell and the magazine from the Redi-Mag at the same time. The Gen II has a separate release for ejecting the magazine from the Redi-Mag. The skeletonizing of the housing is either done by dremmel tool or purchased from companies who modify them via CNC machine for retail.

The BAD lever will work on any of the variations of the Redi-Mag.

Norcal911
10-14-09, 22:53
Talked to Ken @ Phase V today. Great guy, has my V2 on the way and they are working on an even newer version (v3 maybe?) that is lighter. Anyway, he was very concerned about my failures, wanted the part back, and wanted to know all of the circumstances. His customer service was outstanding, I was very impressed-Norcal911

Thomas M-4
12-15-09, 09:40
Hey rob I have been checking your sight but I can not find any posted about the redi-catch.

rob_s
12-15-09, 10:38
Hope to get a bunch of site updates this next couple of weeks. Got a significant amount of time with the Red-Catch over the last weekend at a Pat Rogers class.

Thomas M-4
12-15-09, 11:13
Hope to get a bunch of site updates this next couple of weeks. Got a significant amount of time with the Red-Catch over the last weekend at a Pat Rogers class.

Looking forward to the review rob.
I noticed Boonie Packer has released a gen 2 bolt catch extension that is supposed to complement the redi-catch any word on the gen2 bolt catch extension ?

rob_s
12-15-09, 11:27
Looking forward to the review rob.
I noticed Boonie Packer has released a gen 2 bolt catch extension that is supposed to complement the redi-catch any word on the gen2 bolt catch extension ?

I have one of those too and greatly prefer it to the old one.

Thomas M-4
12-15-09, 11:57
I have one of those too and greatly prefer it to the old one.

:cool:Looking forward to your review of the redicatch and the gen2 boltcatch extension.

Jay Cunningham
12-15-09, 16:15
I am using the Redi-Catch on one of my carbines. I am using it as a stand-alone without a Redi-Mag/Mod. So far so good - I really like it. I just need to get some hard time on it to see if it will break on me.

If this thing is actually durable it is the cat's ass, IMO.

Thomas M-4
12-16-09, 14:36
I am using the Redi-Catch on one of my carbines. I am using it as a stand-alone without a Redi-Mag/Mod. So far so good - I really like it. I just need to get some hard time on it to see if it will break on me.

If this thing is actually durable it is the cat's ass, IMO.

Katar do you have reservations on its durability or just being cautious statement?
From the looks of it it seems as it should be fairly robust.

Jay Cunningham
12-16-09, 16:39
I always try to be cautious about these things. Just because I like it on a carbine leaning against my wall does not mean much. It seems simple and durable but there could be a failure point revealed through some moderately hard use.

Thomas M-4
12-16-09, 17:10
I always try to be cautious about these things. Just because I like it on a carbine leaning against my wall does not mean much. It seems simple and durable but there could be a failure point revealed through some moderately hard use.

Roger that Katar.

NCPatrolAR
12-17-09, 00:35
Hmmmm, that looks very interesting. Much more interesting than the BAD or the Phase V

rob_s
12-17-09, 05:32
I used this carbine for the majority of a 3 day Pat Rogers class. For those that have not attended one, the class is split into two relays that alternate shooting time on the line, and every time the relay changes you condition-4 your carbine and lock the bolt to the rear, as well as every time during your relay that you go down range to assess and tape targets. I would estimate that, based on this cycle, I probably operated the lever to lock the bolt back 25+ times over the course of the three days. Not a lot of cycles of the lever of course, but for most shooters outside of a class that's probably a year's worth of cycles. no issues, no problems, done wearing flight gloves every time and no tactile issues feeling or operating the lever through the gloves.