PDA

View Full Version : Barrier Penetration Info?

Leatherneck556
10-11-09, 14:20
Where can I find information about what types of barriers are penetrated by what types of rounds? I'm just wondering here lately about what materials constitute cover against what types of rounds?

This is intentionally a very vague question. I don't have just one specific thing I'm looking at. The information I'm looking to get would look something like this:
Round X in Caliber Y will penetrate Z inches of:
-Cinder Block
-Packed Dirt
-Mud bricks
-Wood

etc, etc.

Does anyone know where I could find this type of info?

worldskipper
10-11-09, 15:42
Check the army's manuals for combat engineering. The will specify different covers and what they protect from.

Failure2Stop
10-11-09, 18:50
7 inches of concrete,
3 inches of steel,
40 inch thick hardwood logs,
Double thickness sandbags,
48 inches of packed dirt,
24 inches of dry sand,

-Will stop shoulder-fired weapons for quite a while.
Pretty much any serious caliber will smash up cinderblocks within two or three rounds. Double thickness mud bricks will take quite a bit of abuse before blowing though unless you can put them into a small area (about 4").
Compound walls (as in Afghan) will take a whole lot of ordnance before opening up- think shaped charges vice bullets.

Exact depth of penetration will be linked to distance and velocity as well as caliber and bullet construction. There are so many variables at play that getting exact measurements will be unfruitful. Still, do you really expect to walk around with a ruler during a firefight trying to determine what would make good cover?