PDA

View Full Version : Midlength durability

armakraut
10-12-09, 00:43
Have those of you who shoot thousands of rounds a year noticed any difference in durability between carbines and midlength AR's?

IE BCG breakages, erosion problems, etc.

gruntinhusaybah
10-12-09, 08:06
I ordered a BCM middy right when they were released and have 2,200 rds through it so far with 0 issues

Amicus
10-12-09, 08:40
Although I can't say precisely why the midlength was created, conventional wisdom has it that the midlength addresses at least two concerns:

(1) The midlength gas system is less stressful on the gas system, providing longer use of the gas and BCG parts before replacement; and,

(2) The midlength allows a longer iron sight radius.

I have certainly noted that in some carbine gas systems the recoil impulse is more violent and pronounced than in midlength or rifle length uppers (true in the case of a Colt, not so with a Noveske). I have had no problems with the Colt, but the Noveske did manage to disassemble during feeding one of those plastic cartridges that seem to have disappeared from the market -- it's only failure).

markm
10-12-09, 08:42
I shoot thousands of rounds per year in my carbean gas systems and don't notice any unusual wear.

I only have one middy with a round cound too low to make a comparison.

C4IGrant
10-12-09, 09:38
Have those of you who shoot thousands of rounds a year noticed any difference in durability between carbines and midlength AR's?

IE BCG breakages, erosion problems, etc.

Since the middy has less pressure and heat, in theory they should see less broken parts.

C4

armakraut
10-12-09, 11:31
Yep, that's the theory.

Some of our members go through an ungodly amount of ammo, I'd be one of them if I didn't live out in the middle of nowhere. Seen a few threads on overall reliability where knowledgeable people didn't seem to think the midlength was different in terms of reliable feeding, extraction and ejection, but hadn't seen one on parts breakage.

markm
10-12-09, 11:38
Look at the "bolt failure" thread. Carbeans definitely run harder.

The pressure is clearly quantifiable. Just look at a "quick load" chart on the pressure curve and you can track the PSI on various points down the barrel.

Heat, on the other hand, I have not found to be too significant. I mean... I can shoot a full mag of M855 ammo, and really quickly pop my carbean open and the bolt is cool enough to hold in my bare hand.