PDA

View Full Version : AAR: LAV Advanced Handgun Marksmanship; 10/10-11/09; N. TX

Wayne Dobbs
10-12-09, 16:31
AAR – Vickers Tactical Advanced Handgun Marksmanship
10/10-11/2009
Greenville, TX

Larry Vickers returned to North Texas this past weekend and conducted his Advanced Handgun Marksmanship class for 14 students at the Adrenaline Proving Grounds Range (www.apgtraining.com) in Greenville, TX. The students consisted of an engineer, academics (two university professor types), cops (both retired and active duty), managers, a PSD contractor in Iraq and a gun writer. Pistols in use were mostly Glock, with at least two M&P 9mms, two 1911s in .45 ACP, a CZ and one Sig P226 in .357 Sig. Gun malfunctions were few and mostly involved a couple of Glocks with modifications that didn’t pan out well. The weather was just barely OK. It had rained in excess of four inches in the two days preceding the class and although clear and sunny weather was promised by the weather astrologists, it remained cloudy, misty and in the 50s throughout the entire two days of training.

Larry doesn’t do this specific class very often and I had been after him to do this for some time after reading a review of it and seeing some of the drills and materials contained within the class. Those of you who have training time in with Vickers know that he emphasizes disciplined and accurate shooting responses over speed with the service pistol. This is clearly a product of his SFOD-Delta experiences and training and while some may question the approach, it’s hard to credibly attack the stance. The class is all about building a solid foundation of fundamental shooting skills and then testing those skills with a series of demanding drills from the standpoints of time allotment and distance. Those seeking a super high round count as a measure of a quality training course would likely be disappointed as we expended about 700 rounds over the two days and yet everybody left the range with their stern assembly dragging in the mud both days from the mental exhaustion of making every single shot count.

The class began on TD1 with an in depth safety briefing that covered how most training and practice on typical ranges doesn’t prepare us for real world confrontations. Also covered was the lip service given to firearms safety but the lack of a true lifestyle or value based commitment to true safety with firearms at all times, whether in training, practice, recreation or in actual combative situations. Some of us can recount way too many horror stories in this regard and LAV covered the ground well on this.

The fundamentals of shooting with regard to sight usage and trigger control were the beginning of actual range use and Larry has some solid demonstrations that show what is important and what’s oversold regarding these two. Suffice it to say, that sight alignment is important but not as much as pushed at times for most pistol shots. We had solid reinforcement throughout that properly managing a trigger is the most important shooting fundamental to be mastered. Vickers pointed out that it’s a lot easier to teach sights than it is trigger because one can be presented visually, while the other is a “feel” experience. It’s been my experience that most folks don’t know what a proper trigger press is and even fewer know how to teach it.

Larry has a set of trigger control training drills that I’ve now seen several times and that are among the best in teaching and diagnosing trigger control problems. Students in the class worked on them the beginning of both days. These drills, properly learned and executed, are worth the price of admission for a serious shooter or trainer of shooters. The drills are conducted with a buddy and can easily be adapted for one-man use in future practice sessions. Perhaps the best of the drills is one that actually allows practice of what Jeff Cooper called the “compressed surprise break”. I’ve heard the term and some basic description of what it is, but this one gives a student an actual experience of what that truly feels like in actual use.

Following the trigger drills and what was an eye opening experience for some over the importance of good trigger control over sight alignment, we were off and running on Larry’s training drills. Covered were the 1/2/3 Drill, one that I call the “200 Drill” that required precise one handed shooting from both sides along with increasing distances, reloading techniques, trigger reset with accompanying two shot drills and several more butt kickers. What really pushed us mentally was the use of an NRA B-8 bullseye center over an IDPA silhouette to force accurate delivery of shots on target under time pressure. The bull has a 5.5” diameter with about a 2.5” 10-ring and many drills were scored by the actual scoring rings. One young copper there (the offspring of one of the cops I worked with at my old PD for 25 years) learned that perhaps his LE firearms training wasn’t as solid as he may have thought once the heat came on in these drills.

Larry continued to increase the heat setting in the class by combining time and accuracy pressure along with reload and draw speed pressure in drills such as the Siebel Drill that combined a set of varied and stressful demands. The FBI Duel forced draw speed and accuracy while under the clock and again, while increasing distance in LAV’s infamous “walk backs”. Competitions amongst the class on these drills and others were frequent for hats and Larry’s improved version of the Glock magazine catch.

The class continued to be like climbing a mountain with the level of challenge increasing. On TD2 we reviewed the first day and repeated the trigger drills. We ran Ken Hackathorn’s “The Test” which is a great benchmark drill of a given shooter’s competence. The FBI Bullseye Course was the next major test that came up in a modified (read easier) version and then in the pure version that put all to the test. The final drill to be run was a modified Delta 700 Point Aggregate, properly termed “The Humbler” for what it does to those who attempt it. We omitted the prone stage due to muddy conditions, but ran the rest and this demanding course wore us down after running it twice. Debrief and tear down was done, certificates handed out and tails were dragged away to the house!

If you desire a truly intensive and demanding training experience that demands that you truly shoot a pistol well, you would be hard pressed to beat this class. It’s fundamentally sound and intensive beyond most folks’ experience and is well worth the time, effort and money.

Many thanks are due to Tango Down for the magazine catches and also to the Training Section of the Garland Police Department who handled the training credit for the Texas LEOs in attendance.

VA_Dinger
10-12-09, 18:43
Thanks Wayne, sounds like one awesome class.

John_Wayne777
10-12-09, 19:05
This is definitely one I'd like to get into at some point in the next year or so. LAV is a phenomenal pistol instructor and has done more for my skill with a handgun than anyone I've ever trained with.

Aubrey
10-12-09, 19:50
This particular LAV class has been offered only a very few times in the past, so initial interest warranted a second class to be offered the two days prior, but an insufficient number of interested students failed to follow through with payment to secure seats. Fornutately some that had booked the prequel class class were able to change their plans, but airlines don't do this for free any more.

The handgun representation was fairly typical with six Glocks, three 1911s, two M&Ps, one SIG (in .357), one CZ, and a Hi-Power (a duty weapon!). Larry was shooting a Glock 17 that appeared to be box-stock except for real sights.

Logistics
The Adrenaline Proving Grounds (APG) range is basic but adequate. A for-sale sign on the property and rumor of a residential development being planned nearby lead me to wonder if APG will be an option as a venue for future training opportunities. The range is less than 15 minutes from the center of town. Greenville, population ~24K, has the basic necessities like a Wally World, typical fast food restaurants, Chili’s and Crapper Barrel for fine dining, and a Fivebucks for caffeine needs. The Hampton Inn is very nice for a small-town motel. The two left-coast residents that flew in did so on Southwest Airlines into Dallas Love Field. Love is closer to Greenville than DFW, but good luck getting a non-stop flight.

Wayne D is a great host. His experience as both a trainee and trainer is very extensive, so he is well prepared to facilitate a successful class. Kudos to him for his efforts to bring top-quality training to North Texas.

Observations and Lessons Learned

Trigger control is paramount.
There were some truly great shooters in this class. My performance was very anemic compared to most if not all of the other shooters, but perhaps I learned more than most as a result of being outside of my comfort zone.
My total round count was 764 for the two days. Those who last longer in the walk backs would have had higher counts. Running a single relay with a constant emphasis on accuracy and accounting for every single shot was mentally tiresome. Most of us were pretty well “cooked” by the end of each day despite relatively low round counts compared to some trainers’ courses.
Glocks are plenty accurate out to reasonable ranges in the hands of shooters like Wayne and others in the class.
Glocks are most reliable with Glock internals parts.
One student shot a Smith & Wesson M&P9 with the optional thumb safety. Larry admonished him to either shoot with his thumb on top of the safety or remove the safety to prevent unintended issues. The student responded that he even shoots his 1911s without his thumb on the safety. Larry had indicated during a previous class that he would likely choose M&P versions without the thumb safety. When pressed further about it at this opportunity, he indicated that the frame of the M&P is uncomfortably wide for him aft of the thumb safety and that he had David Bowie reshape that area on one of his for that reason.

Ed L.
10-12-09, 21:51
Great class. Larry is a great teacher and you get an amazing amount of information just being in class with him. I always look forward to the opportunity to pick his brain.

I normally don't practice with my left/support hand, but did so the week before this class. Even though it felt awkward, I could definitely see the benefit in my weak hand performance. While there wasn't that much left hand only fire (probably less than 5% of all rounds fired, maybe less than 2% of all rounds fired), when it did come time to fire weakhanded, I definitely saw the difference.

Larry was certainy right when he said that we would find the class tiring. When I got home sunday night I had major trouble getting out of the chair to drag myself to the shower before going to bed.

David Thomas
10-15-09, 12:22
I hated to miss this class. I was one of those students that signed up for the class on the 8th and 9th (one of the few who actually paid), but my circumstances being what they are I could not rearrange my schedule to be able to make the weekend class. Nevertheless, I would like to thank Wayne for bringing quality trainers like Larry Vickers and Ken Hackathorn to this part of the country, and also thank him for doing everything in his power to accommodate the students who signed up for (and paid for) the class that was canceled.

Looks like some of the north Texas regulars were in attendance, and enjoyed a good training experience. I wish I could have been there.

Ed,

I thought for sure I could count on you for some pics in your AAR.

Wayne Dobbs
10-16-09, 09:28
David is one of the stand up guys in the world and we look forward to seeing him in a few weeks when Ken Hackathorn comes to town for a class!

Wayne

wrs3d
10-25-09, 11:24
There is not much to add to the excellent AARs by Wayne and Aubrey.

Just to note that I am usually in the bottom tier of these classes from start to finish, and this one was no exception. The improvement that I experience during the course, however, is sharp. The instruction and practical drills by LAV are first rate. It is also the case that one of the advantages of these courses is that I learn a tremendous amount from the other students as well.

The training is top notch, the drills are sobering, and the focus on accuracy is paramount. Anyone thinking they will spend two days blasting away at silhouettes from 5 yards is in for an eye-opening experience with LAV. Best preparation is to shoot bulls-eye targets from 15 to 25 yards.

Many thanks to Wayne for hosting this course.

Ed L.
10-25-09, 18:15
Ed,

I thought for sure I could count on you for some pics in your AAR.

It was run as one line most of the time, so I would have had to take time out of shooting to take pictures. I only do that when I am writing an article on the class.