PDA

View Full Version : parts required to build an upper?

loki993
10-12-09, 16:37
Ive been trying to look into building an upper. The problem is I cant find a definitive list of parts required. All I can think of is the upper receiver, Barrel, handguard and bolt. You can get a upper with the dust cover and forward assist already in there and you can get a barrel with a gas block, tube and front sight I believe. Is there anything else that's required? If that all someone would need it seems that I could save at least the price of the bolt if I was to build my own. What would be the cost of having a smith install the barrel and time the gas system, because Id suppose that would have to be taken into account also.

LMTRocks
10-12-09, 17:43
Upper receiver, barrel, barrel nut, flash hider (opt), gas block/Front sight base, gas block pins (taper/straight/allen for dimpled barrel), gas tube, delta ring, handguard cap, delta spring. If you want to customize the upper, with perhaps a free float HG, they'll be sending you their own barrel nut to attach the barrel with. You'll need a torque wrench, roll pin punches, barrel nut wrench (which attaches to your torque wrench), a BCG, bolt for the caliber if barrel you have, and if the receiver already comes with the forward assist and ejection door already installed, good for you. headspace gauges for the caliber you have, and upper receiver vise block---either pinned which act like your lower receiver or a clamshell type which clamps around the receiver. Bench vise too....a 6" from lowes or HD should suffice.

ROGOPGEAR
10-14-09, 19:12
Upper Receiver
upper receiver
charging handle
bolt carrier group

Barrel assembly
barrel (rifle, middy, or carbine gas system)
gas tube (match with the barrel gas system)
gas block (low profile or FSB)
gas tube roll pin (usually comes with either the gas block or gas tube, tiny piece but you have to have it)

Muzzle Device (many different variations)
Flash hider or compensator or brake
Crush washer or peel washer (use a crush)

Handguard
Free float tube or rail (most will come with their own barrel nut, n stuff)
Standard non FF plastic handguard (you need to have a barrel assembly with the delta ring assembly and the piece up by the FSB to hold the front of the handguard - forget the name)

If you have never done it before it can be intimidating but once you do it you realize how very simple building an upper and even a complete AR really is. One piece of advice though, get the right tools for the job, it will save you scars on your kit and infinite frustration because of improvisation failures.

Tools
barrel nut wrench (some FF rails have specific wrenches for them too)
decent punches
panther claw (or some device to hold your upper receiver while you torque your barrel)

I have a few videos of me building my last upper, if I get some free time next week I'll upload em to youtube for you.