PDA

View Full Version : Wa. State LLC owned SBR

45&223
10-12-09, 18:54
Guys - my head is spinning over what forms, can I even do this, and whether or not it's legal in Washington State.

Here's the deal, I already have an LLC in Washington. I wanted to make an SBR out of a stripped lower.

Can I make and register it as an LLC?
What form(s) do I use?
Even if I get the Tax stamp is it legal in Washington State?

Please help, I've searched here and other places but can't seem to get what I need. Thanks in advance.

Bill

chadbag
10-12-09, 19:02
According to this you are SOL

http://www.guntrustlawyer.com/2008/06/washington-wa-what-nfa-firearm-1.html

45&223
10-12-09, 19:49
I don't want to own it, my corporation does. Does that make a difference?

chadbag
10-12-09, 19:57
I don't want to own it, my corporation does. Does that make a difference?

In the eyes of the law, your LLC, a Corp, or you are all a "person" and it appears that the WA state law does not allow SBR so you are SOL I would guess. Should not matter if it is you personally, your trus, your LLC, or your corp.

IANALAIDPOOTV -- Find a competent WA state attorney who deals with firearms issues and ask them for a definitive answer

Chad

koji
10-12-09, 20:45
I looked into this (attorney) and you are indeed SOL. Sorry dude - I want one too.

perna
10-13-09, 04:44
Note: Although you can own a silencer, it may not be used on a gun.

The west coast makes no sense.

45&223
10-13-09, 11:35
Suck. I'm gonna keep digging into this.

If I buy a 12.5" Crusader, will a 3.6", permanently attached compensator make it legal?

Any suggestions on a good comp that is long enough?

Again thanks for the responses, I'm new to the SBR game and all of the errornet research I'm doing is confusing the heck out of me.

If it is permanently attached, does it ruin the .bbl if/when I remove it?

spamsammich
10-13-09, 11:46
I'm in washington and exclusively run 14.5" barrels with permanently attached flash hiders. I DO NOT recommend this configuration to new AR owners, especially those who will likely want to noodle with their rifles in the future. The only reason I did this was as an exercise to familiarize myself with the machine shop where I work and as an intro to TIG welding. This was a bad way to learn TIG welding by the way.

You won't necessarily ruin the barrel removing a permed muzzle device but again, it is not worth the risk. The Crusader is a fine barrel, but pairing one with a long flash hider just to skirt SBR is a terrible idea in my opinion and since looks seem to matter so much, it will look stupid. When I build new rifles, I will use 16" mid length barrels and avoid permanently attached flash hiders. They are too limiting for those of us that reconfigure the rifle from time to time and are far easier to re-sell later on. Plus you pick up a lot of velocity vs a short barrel by going 16".

45&223
10-13-09, 13:15
I'm not new to the AR, just the personally owned SBR part. I have been shooting for over 23 years, all of it professionally. At this point I know what I want for this gun, I was erroneously told that my LLC could own an SBR, hence this post.

I do not foresee changing the configuration of this gun once it is assembled, unless the laws change of course.

I'm still not convinced that the LLC can't own the gun, since the RCW prohibits "any person" from owning. It doesn't say anything about a company with a proper tax stamp and registration. Federal law says I can register the gun to the LLC, with no state prohibition, perhaps this is a loophole?

Regardless, I cannot and won't commit a felony so I will keep researching it. Until then, any suggestions on the compensator? I don't care about looks, as long ias it functions. The best looking rifle is one that has been used hard, I feel the same way about cars:D

spamsammich
10-13-09, 13:49
I still recommend against the 12.5" barrel with a permed muzzle device, regardless of experience with the platform. It is just not worth the effort. I only save 1.2" by going with my current configuration and one of my barrels is a Noveske Afghan so I'm not even saving weight this way. The only real upside I can think of is if I ever get to use a suppressor with this upper, it will be slightly shorter than a similarly configured 16" barrel.

I've managed to skirt the SBR issue with a pistol lower and an 11.5" BCM upper, but I hated shooting that gun since most of my shooting is at an indoor range. The blast from that gun indoors made me about as popular as a Baby Ruth bar floating in a public swimming pool, and I was even uncomfortable shooting it.

Iraqgunz
10-13-09, 14:23
I used to live in Washington. SBS and SBR is a no go. That's it. What I recommend to you is simply get a 16" barrel. Getting a 12.5" and adding a 3.6" flash hider or compensator will serve NO PRACTICAL PURPOSE whatsover unless you simply want to try and impress your friends with your faux SBR.

Your other option(s) is to move to Idaho or Oregon.

Suck. I'm gonna keep digging into this.

If I buy a 12.5" Crusader, will a 3.6", permanently attached compensator make it legal?

Any suggestions on a good comp that is long enough?

Again thanks for the responses, I'm new to the SBR game and all of the errornet research I'm doing is confusing the heck out of me.

If it is permanently attached, does it ruin the .bbl if/when I remove it?

Iraqgunz
10-13-09, 14:25
An LLC or corporation is still an individual as I understand it. Rather than relying on this forum, I would contact a lawyer and ask them to review the RCW and get their spin on it.

I'm not new to the AR, just the personally owned SBR part. I have been shooting for over 23 years, all of it professionally. At this point I know what I want for this gun, I was erroneously told that my LLC could own an SBR, hence this post.

I do not foresee changing the configuration of this gun once it is assembled, unless the laws change of course.

I'm still not convinced that the LLC can't own the gun, since the RCW prohibits "any person" from owning. It doesn't say anything about a company with a proper tax stamp and registration. Federal law says I can register the gun to the LLC, with no state prohibition, perhaps this is a loophole?

Regardless, I cannot and won't commit a felony so I will keep researching it. Until then, any suggestions on the compensator? I don't care about looks, as long ias it functions. The best looking rifle is one that has been used hard, I feel the same way about cars:D