PDA

View Full Version : tac light suggestions

Sonic Crack
02-25-07, 04:06
Im going to be building an AR and need suggestions on a light that I can attach to the pic rail on the hand guard. Im not familiar with any of the tactical lights so your imput will be apriciated. 99.9% of my shooting will be outside in the day time, i will need a light with a concentrated beam for seeing down groundhog holes, in holow trees, ect. maybe a light with a focasable beam, like a maglight. im not very worried about price or size, not that I want somthing the size of a 2 D cell light, just something small and bright.

EDinFL
02-25-07, 07:40
Here's a good weapon light that won't break the bank,they also make a 2 battery light. http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=67

LOKNLOD
02-25-07, 10:17
Sounds like a Surefire G2 in a Viking mount or even a 1" ring would work well for your purpose and you'd be out for under $50. Check out the Surefire G2 packages at G&R Tactical.

Another good option might be a Streamlight TLR1. It's not the most ergonomic for fighting purposes but it is compact, rail mountable, and shock resistant, and very bright for its size.

Jay Cunningham
02-25-07, 11:24
Grant also carries the new Surefire QD mount for G2 size lights; I just bought one from him a couple of days agao.

It's avery well-thought out and slick little unit. With all due respect to Mark LaRue, the SF mount uses its own version of an adjustable throw lever.

Good stuff! I just need to test it on a live rifle now!

SuicideHz
02-25-07, 12:58
Link to pics of the Surefire mount? I sure like the sound of that!

C4IGrant
02-25-07, 13:07
Link to pics of the Surefire mount? I sure like the sound of that!

It is the SF M79.

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/SF/M79.JPG

PALADIN-hgwt
02-25-07, 13:11
xxxxx

C4IGrant
02-25-07, 13:11
Im going to be building an AR and need suggestions on a light that I can attach to the pic rail on the hand guard. Im not familiar with any of the tactical lights so your imput will be apriciated. 99.9% of my shooting will be outside in the day time, i will need a light with a concentrated beam for seeing down groundhog holes, in holow trees, ect. maybe a light with a focasable beam, like a maglight. im not very worried about price or size, not that I want somthing the size of a 2 D cell light, just something small and bright.

Howdy, most all shooters need is a 6V light. With that, there are lot of options out there from Pentagon, to SureFire to some custom stuff (like my WG light). So with that said, you need to figure out how much you want to spend and then go from there. If your budget is under $100 then that limits your options to a certain level of light.

Let me know if I can help.

C4

Here are some pics of my WG lights

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/WG%20Lights/WG6D%20UE%20mounted.JPG

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/WG%20Lights/WG9D%20Z61%20mounted.JPG

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/WG%20Lights/WG6D%20by%20SJ.JPG

PALADIN-hgwt
02-25-07, 13:14
xxxxx

DKircher
02-25-07, 13:16
It is the SF M79.

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/SF/M79.JPG

Grant -

Just curious, is it a good bet that the G2 can stand up to the shock and impact from an AR? I can't find anything on G2's on Surefires website. Maybe someone here who has tried it can speak to this.

ST911
02-25-07, 15:45
Grant -

Just curious, is it a good bet that the G2 can stand up to the shock and impact from an AR? I can't find anything on G2's on Surefires website. Maybe someone here who has tried it can speak to this.

I'm not Grant, but my G2s (and 6Ps) have held up fine on carbines and rifles, but not shotguns.

DKircher
02-25-07, 16:04
I'm not Grant, but my G2s (and 6Ps) have held up fine on carbines and rifles, but not shotguns.

Thanks Skintop. :cool:

C4IGrant
02-25-07, 16:23
Grant -

They can hold up, but it isn't the best idea (as they are not shock isolated). SF makes a shock isolated bezel for $20 bucks that is shock isolated.

C4

Sonic Crack
02-25-07, 17:33
[QUOTE=C4IGrant;39309]Howdy, most all shooters need is a 6V light. With that, there are lot of options out there from Pentagon, to SureFire to some custom stuff (like my WG light). So with that said, you need to figure out how much you want to spend and then go from there. If your budget is under $100 then that limits your options to a certain level of light.

C4

Price is no concern to me, I just want a light with a good bright concentrated beam of light, and a light that i dont have to worry about breaking if it gets dropped or bounced around. I seen some photos of the beam patterns of a few different surefire lights and I liked the beam that the A2 had, I really like the surefire QD mount, so maybe go with a light that will work with that mount if it has the kind of light beam that i want

C4IGrant
02-25-07, 19:16
[QUOTE=C4IGrant;39309]Howdy, most all shooters need is a 6V light. With that, there are lot of options out there from Pentagon, to SureFire to some custom stuff (like my WG light). So with that said, you need to figure out how much you want to spend and then go from there. If your budget is under $100 then that limits your options to a certain level of light.

C4

Price is no concern to me, I just want a light with a good bright concentrated beam of light, and a light that i dont have to worry about breaking if it gets dropped or bounced around. I seen some photos of the beam patterns of a few different surefire lights and I liked the beam that the A2 had, I really like the surefire QD mount, so maybe go with a light that will work with that mount if it has the kind of light beam that i want

To be honest, the A2 really doesn't have enough output to make it a good choice as a weapon light.

I like (at a minimum) 65 Lumens for a weaponlight.

C4

rob_s
02-25-07, 19:21
If price really isn't an issue, I'd look at the Surefire M600A for $375 (http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=M600A&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3D%26searchstart%3D9%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html%26category%3DSFIR) or the Surefire M951C for $286 (http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=M951C&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3D%26searchstart%3D18%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html%26category%3DSFIR). I run an M96 (the 9 volt version of the M95) on one of my guns and it is more than plenty bright for outdoor work.

usmcgrunt
02-26-07, 12:40
If money is no issue I would got with a Surefire M900A with ARMS throw lever! Its what I have on my carbine! I have seen them for $350 used but I paid a little more than that for my New unit! I love it too! As many times as I have used it on hunting trips it has yet to fail me! Good Luck in whatever you choose! I do know that G&R Tac carry a variety of mounts+lights so you could always start with them!

Grunt Out!

Joseywales
02-28-07, 00:03
Do yourself a HUGE favor and get this set-up.

A: Troy or Samson Mfg rail, rail protectors, and GG&G Surefire M900A or B.

B: Surefire M500A

These are your 2 best options. You will be able to blind the shit out of your opponent, see clearly at long distances, and have someting that fits your ergonomics. I favor the "A" option because I also have an IR illuminator and laser on my rail along with night vision and Aimpoint. But, if needed, I can strip it all down to the hand guards.

Option "B" if you are wanting to get as close to the KISS principle as possible.

Next best option is the surefire M98.

Erick Gelhaus
02-28-07, 09:30
Howdy, most all shooters need is a 6V light. With that, there are lot of options out there from Pentagon, to SureFire to some custom stuff (like my WG light). ...
C4

Grant-
Any idea when your WG lights will re-appear?

Erick

C4IGrant
02-28-07, 09:50
Grant-
Any idea when your WG lights will re-appear?

Erick

Next week I think.

C4

C4IGrant
02-28-07, 09:54

These are your 2 best options. You will be able to blind the shit out of your opponent, see clearly at long distances, and have someting that fits your ergonomics. I favor the "A" option because I also have an IR illuminator and laser on my rail along with night vision and Aimpoint. But, if needed, I can strip it all down to the hand guards.

Option "B" if you are wanting to get as close to the KISS principle as possible.

The M500A option is a pretty good one (if you don't want rails), but I am not so sure about the M900A or the M900AB). These torches are heavy, expensive, very long and generally too much power for home defense.

C4

SuicideHz
02-28-07, 17:45

opponent? you playing a game here? :p

Joseywales
03-02-07, 22:18
opponent? you playing a game here? :p

Yes. The game is "let's see who is alive to give a statement".

Personally, I like to use the lights at 200+ lumens to blind the shit out of an intruder in the case of home defense. I would rather not have to shoot and get my floor dirty. Or maybe buy myself a second or to.

Cesiumsponge
03-03-07, 00:31
Here is one of the larger 9V rail-mounted systems for comparison. I got this through Grant a few years ago. Not sure if he still carries this custom configuration but its the 9V (M9X?) weaponlight system from Surefire with the XM06 dual function tailcap switch and the reversible LaRue mount. 125/250 lumens depending on bulb. On one hand, I wish I had a smaller 6V system. On the other hand, its 9V :D

http://www.impulselabs.org/Personal/Eric/Gun/SF2.jpg
http://www.impulselabs.org/Personal/Eric/Gun/SF1.jpg

C4IGrant
03-03-07, 08:05
Yes. The game is "let's see who is alive to give a statement".

Personally, I like to use the lights at 200+ lumens to blind the shit out of an intruder in the case of home defense. I would rather not have to shoot and get my floor dirty. Or maybe buy myself a second or to.

Have you ever illuminated the white walls in your house with over 200 Lumens yet?? You will blind yourself as well.

I like the powerful lights, but not in a CQB environment. If you are going to use that much power at close range, I use the SF Diffuser.

C4

Sonic Crack
03-08-07, 00:54
Howdy, most all shooters need is a 6V light. With that, there are lot of options out there from Pentagon, to SureFire to some custom stuff (like my WG light). So with that said, you need to figure out how much you want to spend and then go from there. If your budget is under $100 then that limits your options to a certain level of light.

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/WG%20Lights/WG6D%20UE%20mounted.JPG

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/WG%20Lights/WG9D%20Z61%20mounted.JPG

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/WG%20Lights/WG6D%20by%20SJ.JPG

Grant what kinda run time do you get outa the WG9D with the 200 lumen?

C4IGrant
03-08-07, 11:09
Grant what kinda run time do you get outa the WG9D with the 200 lumen?

60 minutes.

C4

Razorhunter
04-08-07, 14:04

Does ANYONE here have pics of both A and B up above????

M4Guru
04-11-07, 20:07
Grant,

My KL4 head on my M600 crapped out today...it is my backup but I need it since I run 2 different long guns at work. Light is as new, so I'm sure SF will replace it. But, while I need a new head anyways...

I have been wanting to get the P60/61 conversion you posted above. How much does the head run, as well as the offset Larue mount?

Thanks!

C4IGrant
04-12-07, 08:59
Grant,

My KL4 head on my M600 crapped out today...it is my backup but I need it since I run 2 different long guns at work. Light is as new, so I'm sure SF will replace it. But, while I need a new head anyways...

I have been wanting to get the P60/61 conversion you posted above. How much does the head run, as well as the offset Larue mount?

Thanks!

LU60A head and LT Scout mount are $136 + shipping.

C4

M4Guru
04-14-07, 20:54
Grant,

I keep getting your machine!:D

PM sent...

Razorhunter
04-14-07, 23:01
Hey guys,
I'm STILL trying to figure out WHICH Surefire light to go with, for my Colt 6920 Carbine.
I want to have at LEAST a 65 lumen setup, and most likely will stick with 6volts.
I don't know if I can get much more lumens when staying with a 6v system??

Anyhow, I have been looking at THREE different light mounts, ALL of which are VERY simple, and I'm THINKING that these will be some of the SIMPLEST methods of mounting a light to my carbine.
These are at least the SIMPLEST methods I have PERSONALLY found to date. Would you guys mind looking at the mounts below, and telling me WHICH one(s) you guys recommend? That is, if anyone has experience with any of them. I'm basically looking at the Daniel Defense, VLTOR, OR the VikingTactics mounts. It looks like they ALL are made for 1" diameter lights, or SLIGHTLY larger (by a few thousandths). Here they are:
http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/browse&category=flashlights_flashlightmounts

BTW, IF I can decide on a mount, then I will need a light, and I was wondering what you guys think about the Surefire "Scout" light???? Is this a 1" diameter light? I think it is. Not sure of the lumens, and I'm NOT SURE IF I can buy the Scout light BY ITSELF, WITHOUT any pressure switch or any other unecessary items that I won't be using. I ONLY want a LIGHT, AND a MOUNT. That is ALL I want.
I want it as LIGHT and BRIGHT as possible for a 6v system. I will NOT be using a pressure switch or vertical grip.
I will mount the light on my rail, and turn it on with the thumb of my left hand. I hate pressure switches, which don't stay ON without holding them down anyhow. I also don't want any wires running across my rail...
IF you guys have input on which mount is best, or IF there is a BETTER choice than the Surefire "Scout" light, then I could really use some input here.
I am thinking there is probably a better option than using the cheap G2Z, or anything like that. I really want something a LITTLE bit bigger (and possibly brighter?) than a G2Z IF I can find it...
Looking forward to your thoughts guys!

M4Guru
04-15-07, 07:06
I think the Scout light is the best light I have used. I have two of them and they are very small, light, and the KL4 head is pretty bright. You can also put an LU60 head on it and use standard P60/P61 bulbs which makes it as powerful as the Millenium 6V lights in a package 1/3 the size.

Razorhunter
04-15-07, 10:33
I did not know the Scout was naturally an LED.
I have not researched it yet, as my internet has been down a bit lately.
I assume when you first buy the Scout, it is an LED w/ KL4 head, and then you can buy the LU60 head for an incandescant conversion?
Does the LU60 head look much different or just like the KL4 on the Scout??
Pics?
I DEFINITELY want to go incandescant, and NOT LED on my weaponlight....

rob_s
04-15-07, 18:58
I thought I'd weigh in since I just got done with a carbine class and we did a night shoot. Weight of the light is definately a major factor. We had been shotting since 10 AM when we started the night shoot at 8 PM and my arms were damn tired already. My 9-volt Surefire, hanging way off the end of the rifle, was nice to have for the light throw outdoors, but the weight was just too damn much.

AR-15A3
04-15-07, 19:50
I thought I'd weigh in since I just got done with a carbine class and we did a night shoot. Weight of the light is definately a major factor. We had been shotting since 10 AM when we started the night shoot at 8 PM and my arms were damn tired already. My 9-volt Surefire, hanging way off the end of the rifle, was nice to have for the light throw outdoors, but the weight was just too damn much.

+1

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y232/Alpha-Romeo3/Hunting/LaRue9FFrail-Colt6721middy.jpg
Surefire M961C 9-volt mounted on my LaRue 9.0 of my medium contour barrel middy carbine (about 8+ pounds with Aimpoint unloaded) :(

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y232/Alpha-Romeo3/Hunting/LMTD2K-CTR-P-CRP.jpg
I prefer my new model Surefire M951C 6-volt which have a slimmer body and head unit it's about 10% lighter than the previous model

I mainly use my heavier but further reaching light beam of my M96 outdoors and my lighter shorter range M95 indoors.

Anyone knows if Surefire will make the next coming new Cree LED (cree.com) replacement heads/ assemblies for their existing models or will they make totally redesigned weaponlights?

Razorhunter
04-15-07, 20:09
AR-15A3,

In regards to that SECOND pictured light, the 6V M951, can you answer a couple questions I've got?

1. How long is that light? I mean, how long in inches, is the body of the light, OVERALL from tip of head, to tip of tail?

2. Is that a taicap switch on the end of it or what?? It looks like you got a big chunk of rubber sticking out the tailcap, and I can't figure out WHAT that is??
I would like a Surefire light like this, but ONLY IF I can have a regular 'ol, plain-jane tailcap clicky switch, so I can operate the on/off with my THUMB.
I DO NOT wish to use pressure pad switches. I simply want to operate the light with the thumb of my left hand (non-trigger finger hand).

3. What is the weight of this light, and what is the DIAMETER of the body/tube of the light?

4. Most importantly, WHICH mount are you using in that second pic (M951C)???? It looks like it's quite simple, and I DEFINITELY want something SIMPLE. I was thinking that I would like to possibly use either the Daniel Defense mount, VLTOR mount, OR Viking Tactics mount. ALL of these mounts I'm considering, are very small, lightweight mounts, that are designed to hold a 1" diameter light, and then clamp onto a picatinny rail. Very small and simple.
Is this something along the lines of what YOU are using in that pic of the M951C????

Depending on the answers to the questions above, I just might have found a light that I like, thanks you AR-15A3's pics up above!!!!!
IF you don't have ALL the specs on the light, I understand, and I hope I'm not inconveniencing you too bad.

AR-15A3
04-15-07, 20:57
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y232/Alpha-Romeo3/Hunting/SurefireM951C-2MDR.jpg
Close up view of the Surefire M951C mounted on KAC M4 RAS rail

I'll try to answer your questions but might not have all the answers:

1. The Surefire M951C is about 6" long overall from front face to rear face of the tail.

2. Yes, it's a push button tail cap, with a rubber shroud, you push the button slightly for momentary light and push it further for steady light.

3. I don't have a small scale but I was told by the experts that it weights about 10% less than the older wider body model.
The center body diameter is smaller than the older model it's only about .75" diameter, this model is the exact model that are currently issued to the US military.

4. The M951C have a built in mount which is part of the body, there's a picatinny clamp and it's tightened by two thumb screws, I would recommend using blue Loctite on the screw threads to prevent them from getting loose.

I hope I answered your questions except I don't have the weight of the older and my new model light.

If you like it contact Grant of G&R Tactical and ask him for a quote, he got good prices on weaponlights.

AR-15A3,

In regards to that SECOND pictured light, the 6V M951, can you answer a couple questions I've got?

1. How long is that light? I mean, how long in inches, is the body of the light, OVERALL from tip of head, to tip of tail?

2. Is that a taicap switch on the end of it or what?? It looks like you got a big chunk of rubber sticking out the tailcap, and I can't figure out WHAT that is??
I would like a Surefire light like this, but ONLY IF I can have a regular 'ol, plain-jane tailcap clicky switch, so I can operate the on/off with my THUMB.
I DO NOT wish to use pressure pad switches. I simply want to operate the light with the thumb of my left hand (non-trigger finger hand).

3. What is the weight of this light, and what is the DIAMETER of the body/tube of the light?

4. Most importantly, WHICH mount are you using in that second pic (M951C)???? It looks like it's quite simple, and I DEFINITELY want something SIMPLE. I was thinking that I would like to possibly use either the Daniel Defense mount, VLTOR mount, OR Viking Tactics mount. ALL of these mounts I'm considering, are very small, lightweight mounts, that are designed to hold a 1" diameter light, and then clamp onto a picatinny rail. Very small and simple.
Is this something along the lines of what YOU are using in that pic of the M951C????

Depending on the answers to the questions above, I just might have found a light that I like, thanks you AR-15A3's pics up above!!!!!
IF you don't have ALL the specs on the light, I understand, and I hope I'm not inconveniencing you too bad.

Razorhunter
04-15-07, 22:33
Thanks so much for the info bro!
I just got through surfing Surefires website, and it shows this very same light setup, with the OPTION of not only the two thumbscrew mount (like you have), but also a "Swan" throw lever (looks like an ARMS throwlever, but SF calls it a "Swan" throwlever).
I'm wondering which I would like best? This is the type of situation, where I would have to see BOTH mounts UP CLOSE, in order to make a decision.
The website also states that this light, puts out 65 lumens for one hour, OR 125 lumens for 20 minutes. If this DOES NOT sound right, let me know, but I'm 99% sure it has to be right...

I'm also looking at the SF "Scout" light guys. Now the Scout light has 100 lumens for about 1 hr (with another 1.5hrs of lower lumen output).
It ALSO can come with the LU60? incandescant head, and I am wondering if anyone here can tell me what the run time/lumen output is for this LU60 incandescant head on the Scout light????? Unbelievably, the SF webpage for the Scout light, does NOT mention the run time OR the lumen output of the LU60 incandescant head...

Also, last question, does anyone have a size/weight comparison between the Scout light setup, versus the M951 setup that AR-15A3 shows above???
Thanks guys. I've got it narrowed down, just need a couple more questions answered..!

M193 BALL
04-17-07, 14:37
Sounds like a Surefire G2 in a Viking mount or even a 1" ring would work well for your purpose and you'd be out for under $50. Check out the Surefire G2 packages at G&R Tactical.

Another good option might be a Streamlight TLR1. It's not the most ergonomic for fighting purposes but it is compact, rail mountable, and shock resistant, and very bright for its size.

Love the VIKING mount cost under 20 bucks
G2 surefire cheap 35 bucks and less

I have one on my Defender 2000 M4

Im a civi so it works just fine

Hawgleg44
05-06-07, 10:14
I used to use Streamlight M3's on my AR's, but they are only good for close quarters, indoor ranges, and even then, they aren't really bright enough. But, better than nothing, I guess.

I absolutely HATE using optics or lights with batteries, since they always seem to run low or die at the wrong times. So, for optics, I've gone to Trijicons on all of my AR's. For lights, I wanted a rechargable with enough output to also be able to use on duty as a handheld.

So, I picked up a Streamlight Strion 70 Lumen rechargable with the weapons mount. Here's a pic on my 9mm AR. It's easy to push the rear pressure switch with your thumb when holding on to the vertical grip.

http://www.cqbarms.com/photos/albums/userpics/normal_Oly_9mm_AR_new_1.jpg

Here's a pic of my SP-1 Carbine. It has the Streamlight mount as low on the upper handguard as it can go for the M3 light. It's easy to switch it on with your index finger. Since my 9mm AR is the only one I have with a rail setup, I still use the M3 on my SP-1 and .45acp AR's.

http://www.cqbarms.com/photos/albums/userpics/normal_Colt_SP-1_Carbine%7E0.jpg