PDA

View Full Version : ADCO or Local

No Bananas
10-13-09, 12:14
I just ordered an Adams Arms Kit, and the one piece BC will be here soon. I bought a 7" DD Lite rail to go with it.

I don't have the tools, or know how to retrofit this stuff to my LMT 10.5". I've had some gunsmithing work done by ADCO, and of course it was great. At a local shop, the guys sure seem to know what they are doing. Their work (only seen, not shoot) looks pretty damn good. How hard isi it to do this work on an upper? Should I let the local shop do it or should I send it to ADCO.

I like supporting good local business when possible. Sending everything off to ADCO (across the country from me), is a nig PITA. They work quick at ADCO, but UPS GROUND is S-L-O-W. The local guys could do it faster (they said a couple days) about $50 cheaper...about $75 cheaper considering shiping to ADCO. What y'all think?

Adam_s
10-13-09, 16:32
I'm of the school that says do it once, and do it right. ADCO (probably) has done that sort of install before, whereas your local guy is an unknown quantity.

However, if the local guy has don a metric ton of the installs, I'd change my selection. Experience counts, IMHO.
-Adam

warpigM-4
10-13-09, 17:07
ADCO! steve is a great guy and they have a fast turn around.he had my upper and barrel pinned and back at home in a week .No scuff marks on the upper from being in the vise ,could barely see the pin in the FH.you will not be sorry...I also shipped USPS priority Mail only cost me 11.00 bucks to ship and was returned the same way.and I payed for return shipping through USPS so 22.00 Bucks

vinesr6
10-13-09, 19:08
ADCO is first rate, never had problems with my builds etc...;)

No Bananas
10-13-09, 19:35
My ADCO build is awesome. I've got enough $ in this project, I guess it makes sense to go with the best. Also, if I can have em send it back by USPS Priority mail, than it's Golden.

Vash1023
10-14-09, 01:56
i live 5mins from adco and spend a good amount of money there a year.
Steve (owner/operator) can do anything to an AR that u want done, and probably stuff you didnt even know could be done.

i HIGHLY recommend sending your business there. he's never steered me wrong.

sewvacman
10-15-09, 07:56
I've had great experience with adco.
If you plan on building more uppers then go ahead and start buying the tools. It ain't rocket science and there is a sense of satisfaction when you are able to work on your own stuff. Unless your local guy has a very, very good reputation then go with adco.
Pay once, cry once. Just my opinion fwiw.

jjw
10-16-09, 13:47
Steve has done every weird project i have asked of him in a timely manner and 101% functions asked
dont care what the local guy can do i have a great local gunsmith . for Ar's i still send to Steve

50.00 difference gee how much did ur ar build cost and do u want have it done correctly the 1st time??????. as the T.D.L. says that's what in police work we call a clue.
i have about 10-11 ar's and steve's stuff in top of at least 4-5 of them.

not a flame just obvious in a cost/benefit ratio to me.

Robb Jensen
10-17-09, 08:06
ADCO = great reputation and known for good quality work.
Local Gunsmith = this is a very general question since we don't know your local gunsmiths and since some so called gunsmiths shouldn't even be allowed to push the take down pins on ARs.

No Bananas
10-17-09, 09:28
Delivery Confirmation says the upper and parts arrived at ADCO yesterday. They do quick work, too. I asked for Priority USPS shipping, so, I bet I'll have back by this time next week. Thanks everyone.

i have about 10-11 ar's and steve's stuff in top of at least 4-5 of them.

Hey, I'd like to have so many ARs that I don't know exactly how many I have!!:D

warpigM-4
10-17-09, 12:05
outstanding !!post some pics of it when you get it back:D

No Bananas
10-17-09, 15:57
Hopefully,
I get my receivers back from Selph Arms (Texas) soon. I'm having all my AR lowers cerekoted:cool:.

No Bananas
10-20-09, 09:59
How's this for fast: The parts got there Friday 10/16 (afternoon). My completed upper shipped this morning (10/20)!!! Holy speedy gunsmithing Batman!!! Normally I'd be apprehensive about the quality of the work, after being done so fast. But ADCo has the best reputation. I'll post pics when it comes in.

*BTW: Selph Arms isn't taking forever. I have a problem receiver, and have to have some bad engraving filled in. Taking some time for the required materials (filler) and such.

Pugnacious
06-30-11, 15:05
I sent my Colt 6940 upper receiver to Adco last Tuesday (June 20) via UPS ground to have the barrel shortened and the already attached AAC blackout permanently pinned. Steve received the upper around noon on Friday June 24. I received an emailed USPS Priority Mail shipping notice on Tuesday June 28 and the completed upper receiver on Thursday June 30.

The work Steve did is top notch and shows attention to detail. Dealing with Steve you know the work will be done right and I doubt even your local “smith” can beat Steve’s turnaround time even when factoring in (for me) cross country shipping.

Job well done! Thanks Steve!

the_accuser
06-30-11, 20:28
You already know the answer: ADCO!