PDA

View Full Version : What Do We Know Of The .327 Fed Magnum??

Doogie
10-13-09, 16:15
I'm considering, after some research, the .327 Federal Magnum as a possible defensive cartridge. Does anyone have information at this time re this load (in a 3" Ruger SP-101, probably...)

TOrrock
10-13-09, 16:54
I think it lacks the bullet weight to use reliably expanding bullets AND reach a respectable penetration.

Any particular reason you'd not choose the .38 spl +P ?

ST911
10-13-09, 21:33
I'm considering, after some research, the .327 Federal Magnum as a possible defensive cartridge. Does anyone have information at this time re this load (in a 3" Ruger SP-101, probably...)

I've shot a few boxes of it through an SP101. I was left with a giant, "meh." The expense of the cartridge and spotty availability is a deal breaker in anything but a gee-whiz piece. Further, the big push from sales folks is that you can use an easier to shoot cartridge for training, and a more powerful one for carry. "You mean like a .38 and a .357?" A blank stare or "ummm" usually follows.

38SPL and .357 Magnum are well established, with good loads available. Why bother with others?

Georgie Boy
10-13-09, 23:28
I got the opportunity to put a few rounds through one back in may and, like some others, was left with a "yeah, that was cool. where's my .38?" type feelin.

Alaskapopo
10-14-09, 00:04
I think it lacks the bullet weight to use reliably expanding bullets AND reach a respectable penetration.

Any particular reason you'd not choose the .38 spl +P ?

I think the concept is good. A 6 shot hide out revolver with ballistics similar to a 9mm +p load. However I am not sure of how it actually expands and penetrates. I have not seen any tests. I would like to see a K frame gun with a 6 inch barrel and a 8 shot cylinder for small game hunting.
Pat

MK108
10-14-09, 05:23

...maybe it could be quiteinteresting for you...

http://www.brassfetcher.com/index_files/Page607.htm

All the best
Andrea

PA PATRIOT
10-14-09, 07:16
I think the concept is good. A 6 shot hide out revolver with ballistics similar to a 9mm +p load. However I am not sure of how it actually expands and penetrates. I have not seen any tests. I would like to see a K frame gun with a 6 inch barrel and a 8 shot cylinder for small game hunting.
Pat

A "K" frame 8 shot would make a good Home S/D revolver with a 4"inch barrel loaded it up with Speer Gold dot 115gr H/Ps. If the links test results are valid http://www.brassfetcher.com/index_files/Page607.htm as well as the 20% reduction in recoil over a .38spl claim this would work well for those recoil shy ladies who need a high reliability firearm, with good capacity and reduced recoil that makes the FBI spec.

It could have its role for certain applications.

tpd223
10-15-09, 02:26
I have seen tests where the Gold Dot load comes very close in gel tests to matching the 124gr +P 9mm loading.

I also know that this load recoils quite a bit more than your average .38 +P ( at least in my experience).

The 85gr loading does recoil less than the .38 +P