PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning before 1st shooting

Trefilov22
10-13-09, 20:42
What parts should I clean before I take her out for her first shoot? Thanks in advance!

Blankwaffe
10-13-09, 20:57
I always clean all the internals,punch the chamber and bore,do an inspection and lube the BCG and FCG.Then do a function check.After firing I repeat the process.
Basically follow the PM link in the FAQ and you should be fine.

Trefilov22
10-13-09, 21:05
Thanks!

Trefilov22
10-13-09, 21:07
I always clean all the internals,punch the chamber and bore,do an inspection and lube the BCG and FCG.Then do a function check.After firing I repeat the process.
Basically follow the PM link in the FAQ and you should be fine.

Do you have a link to that? I can't seem to find it..... Sorry :confused:

Blankwaffe
10-13-09, 22:25
Sorry,I was not more clear.The sticky threads at the top of the page of the forum list I call the FAQ.
Here's the link:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=35490

Buckshot Barry
10-13-09, 23:18
Make sure the chamber as well as the bore is clean.

I had a stuck case on the very first round from a brand new MT6601 in 1995 beause I only cleaned the bore.

the.2nd1
10-13-09, 23:41
whenever I get a new barrel I clean it and the chamber real good.Then I 'll clean and lube all the parts as they arrive either by UPS or USPS

Quib
10-14-09, 06:08
Check the bottom of Post #22: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=39201&page=2

I cover briefly my personal thoughts on cleaning new weapons before that first range session.

ThirdWatcher
10-14-09, 15:34
You definitely want to run a cleaning rod down the barrel. I bought a Colt LE6920 and gave it to one of my young warriors without doing my customary first cleaning. When we got to the range, it (fortunately) wouldn't chamber a round. Investigation revealed there was a piece a cardboard (about the same diameter as a cleaning rod) that ran the length of the bore.

No round was fired and no one got hurt, but I'll NEVER make that mistake again.

Quib
10-14-09, 16:25
You definitely want to run a cleaning rod down the barrel. I bought a Colt LE6920 and gave it to one of my young warriors without doing my customary first cleaning. When we got to the range, it (fortunately) wouldn't chamber a round. Investigation revealed there was a piece a cardboard (about the same diameter as a cleaning rod) that ran the length of the bore.

No round was fired and no one got hurt, but I'll NEVER make that mistake again.

LOL......this is a good example of what I was referring to in the link above when I said; “Look for anything that might ruin that first shooting session.”

This also reminds me of a problem weapon I helped someone trouble shoot. This individuals bolt carrier would not cycle full travel. After the individual started disassembling the weapon, and removed the buffer and spring, he found packing material at the bottom of the receiver extension. I guess it ended up there from shipping.

JHC
10-14-09, 17:07
In 40 years of shooting approximately 10 dozen different owned firearms, I've never "cleaned" one before shooting it the first time. Just check the bore is clear, add lube and start making it dirty. It's worked out pretty well. LOL

the.2nd1
10-15-09, 12:11
In 40 years of shooting approximately 10 dozen different owned firearms, I've never "cleaned" one before shooting it the first time. Just check the bore is clear, add lube and start making it dirty. It's worked out pretty well. LOL

this guy has just been lucky.Do not do what this guy does he's asking for trouble.So far he's been fortunate however his luck will run out one day.Do not take this advice.

JHC
10-15-09, 12:36
No problem the.2nd1.
Lucky I AM!

All nine of my 1911's ran like clocks right out of the box (with lube ;)
All my ARs run like the dickens dirty but WET.
And I've used adjustable sights for self defense.
And I have NEVER seen setback on a .45acp or 9mm premium factory load even after chambering and clearing many times.
It just never plays out with the MegaMillions lotto however.