PDA

View Full Version : AAR & thoughts from MCS Combative Pistol in Indy

mercop
10-14-09, 11:16
The Combative Pistol class this past weekend at Eagle Creek Range in Indy was great. We had 12 students and all but 2 were MCS Alumni. The alumni had all taken Edged Weapon Survival to include Spontaneous Attack Survival for Edged Weapons and Inverted Edge Tactics but were new to Combative Pistol. Here is what we covered-

Day I

Use of Force

Combative Anatomy

Combative Fundamentals

Introduction the MCS Drop Step

Pro & Cons for defending with one and two-handed grip against CQC attacks

Drop Step with drawn gun

Drop Step draw, shoot, move

Drop Step draw, shoot, move while taking control of another person

(All drills done with Blue Guns, Airsoft, and live fire)

Force on Force

Day II

One Gun Drill

Vertical Bracing (fighting off vertical surface)

Fighting off your back

Fighting off your stomach

Gun Grappling (fouling the attacker draw)

Panic Push & shoot

Fight off back live fire

MCS 21 Foot Drill

Force on Force

Thoughts- with the exception of one M&P, students were carrying Glocks or 1911s. Most concealment garments were t-shirts or button down shirts. On the second day some were wearing jackets as well. One student was left handed, the rest right. Most guns were carried strong just behind the hip using IWB holsters.

While using a traditional two hand grip and attacked with the open hand, knife or club students were slow to release the support hand to defend themselves. They also seemed less likely to move at all.

When moving with a loved one (spouse, child) they need to be on your reaction/weak side and about one 1/2 step behind. If they fail to be in that position the chances of being able to take physical control of them are very slim. Most students found that the best way to access their pistol was using their entire right hand to pull the conceal garment up as far as it would go and bringing the hand back down to the pistol. Using the thumb had a very high failure rate and resulted in one dropped gun and several guns being drawn with the pistol wrapped over the gun. The only safe way to remedy the latter is to grab the slid with your weak hand and then regrip the grip with your strong hand.

During force on force with 100s of rounds fired one head shot was recorded and no engagements occurred outside of 10 yards. One student was very adept and putting the first round into the head during live fire but was unable to do so during FOF. The vast majority of rounds struck the arms/hands and belly button to high chest.

Students found that a gun concealed by an open shirt or jacket can be easily exposed if forced up against a vertical surface or the ground. Drawing the pistol requires the rearward movement of the elbow. The farther the gun is carried behind the hip the more room needed and the higher the elbow must travel. This becomes problematic up against a wall/vehicle or on the ground.

Movement to the rear is a luxury often not afforded by our “back against” the wall mentality. And if you can move backwards you are likely to loose your balance especially when moving to the side since this encourages you to cross your feet. If confronted in a confined space (between cars, in and ally) with a knife, impact weapon your best bet is forward movement in and hard 45-degree angle to your left, your attackers right.

At no time during the call was an audible que used to provoke drawing the pistol or to fire. All drills and Force on Force started with a visual que. No students were ever told to go faster or timed yet they always tried to go as fast as possible.

I am sure more will come to me later but that is it for now.- George

ColdSteel223
10-18-09, 19:03
My thoughts-
Fighting on the ground sucks. Avoid it, but train for it. I was wearing a jacket over an untucked shirt and after a couple of unsuccessful attempts to get to my training 1911 (while fighting with my assailant) I went to my knife. I was successful and ended the attack. Avoid the ground but train for it.

Air soft force on force. It is worth the money. I had never been around air soft before, it allows you to sort out the mechanics of square range live fire against a “real” opponent.

I have trained and practiced one hand shooting drills before. George changed it up by introducing a “loved one” that you needed to take control of. That mandated one hand shooting and you had to coordinate that with grabbing and leading your “loved one” to safety while accurately engaging the bad guy.

I have trained with several other well known trainers. This was the most physical class I have attended. I am not a high speed low drag guy. I am your average 40+ year old guy. The physical aspect of the class should NOT put any one off. It is needed to get the training points in to the mind and body. I had a few muscle aches the next day, nothing major though. Just an indication that I am not a young as I used to be. ;)

At no time during any drill was an audible cue used to provoke drawing the pistol or to fire. All drills and Force on Force started with a visual cue. No one was ever told to go faster or timed yet we always tried to go as fast as possible. The visual cue is a real eye opener. It forces the eyes to work with the mind. Most of us are used to the standard verbal range commands, not with MCS. How often do you think you will see something that elevates your color code versus hearing something? Think about it.

I will train with MCS in the future and recommend that others do so as well.
George is one of the good guys. Include him and MCS into your training regimen. Without training you are a liability to yourself and those who you want to protect. You don’t know what you don’t know until you are standing on the line thinking you are ready for the command to begin the drill.