PDA

View Full Version : The sound of freedom!

M4arc
10-14-09, 12:54
It's not too often that we hear the jets from NAS Oceana in our 'hood but today the Blue Angels are practicing for the air show and their F/A-18s are screaming overhead!

I LOVE IT! :D

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee64/oclvtrek/2007-ba_20.jpg

And no, I did not take that photo.

sandman99and9
10-14-09, 14:57
Those guys are amazing flyers!! I love to watch them and the thunderbirds at airshows.

S.M.

MikeD
10-14-09, 15:54
Having lived nearly my entire life near their home base, I still do not miss the opportunity to sit on on my back porch and watch as they fly overhead.

Chameleox
10-14-09, 16:10
Combined for 24 tons of American Whoopass.

Un-frikkin-believable skills, un-frikkin-believable photo.

ghost762
10-14-09, 19:10
I get the Sound Of Freedom every day with EA-6B's and EA-18G flying overhead. P-3's don't count.

Locke
10-14-09, 21:22
I get the Sound Of Freedom every day with EA-6B's and EA-18G flying overhead. P-3's don't count.

why would a P3 not count heck they can take out billion dollar subs with nukes on them, not sexy but they drop a mean torpedo, of course they don't make a nice roar.;)

Longhorn
10-14-09, 21:53
why would a P3 not count heck they can take out billion dollar subs with nukes on them, not sexy but they drop a mean torpedo, of course they don't make a nice roar.;)

Cuz while the props drone out a sound of freedom, it's not quite the same as hearing that turbine roar ;).

I live near SJAFB with 2 training squadrons and 2 active squadrons of F-15Es and an AFR KC-135 unit :D.

Not to mention the Marines have rotary & fixed wings at their MCAS locations around Jacksonville, and Pope/Bragg have C130s...I'm never at a loss!

Mac5.56
10-14-09, 23:55
that is an amazing photo!

Bubba FAL
10-15-09, 00:04
I'm jealous. One of the things I miss about my time in SoCal was living in the glide path of the main runway for MCAS El Toro. Birds would fly over every afternoon coming home to roost for the night. F/A18s coming in low & slow can really rattle the windows!

ghost762
10-15-09, 00:04

Cause I have a guy in the shop who is a former P-3 guy and he ruined them for me. Now all they are is this annoy buzz I keep hearing.

FlyAndFight
10-15-09, 13:20
I'm looking forward to the Thunderbirds performing over Homestead ARB next month. It's great to see them returning to the old base after so many years.

Jake0331
10-15-09, 15:59
One of my geatest experiences:
Home on leave in '02 as a LCpl and went to Boeing Field in Seattle where every summer we have this thing called "SeaFair." The Blue Angels always put on a rad show here, and I happened to be hanging out with some recruiters doing some outreach in our Dress Blue Deltas. The Angels fly a hot rod C-130 called "Fat Albert" with an all-Marine crew. The pilots saw us and invited us along for a ride. We shot nearly straight up using the rocket assisted takeoff kit it has on its fuselage, then went nearly STRAIGHT DOWN for total weightlessness for 5-10 seconds; don't remember because I was so stuck in the feeling - arms and legs just floating! We did this a couple different times and buzzed all the boats in the Puget Sound at low altitude and high speed. Incredible!

jwfuhrman
10-15-09, 19:43
I live 15miles from the local Air Guard Base, out of all the National Air Guard units in the country the one here in Fort Wayne, IN has been overseas to Iraq and Afghanistan the most. Indiana has supplied the most Army Guard troops to the GWOT as well.

Its really cool to watch then they are up in the air, doing some practice. Its freaking sweet to see them flying so fast and low and zipping up and down and around. Really lets you know that we are protected here.